Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My tracker issues on my new Hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2011, 04:39 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tracker issues on my new Hawkeye

Hi
A couple of weeks ago (to this day) I bought my new Hawkeye. I bought it from a main dealer (I know I paid more money but my wife had a newish Mini to trade in and we got more than we wanted for the Mini so that was a bonus plus I get a 12 month warranty, although I doubt it is of much use as it says maximum claim amount £300). Anyway on to my issues trying to sort out my insurance for my new car. It has the PPP so that was an issue in itself but I eventually got it all insured through Admiral who seemed to know what it was, although it took some explaining and getting through to the right people. However I told them I would get my tracker activated the next morning. The next day I rang up RAC Trackstar who Subaru had confirmed the tracker was with, to get it activated and paid for. RAC could find no record whatsoever of my tracker. Gave them my full vin/chassis number, registration, nothing. Nothing was coming up on their system for my car. I called back the Subaru dealer who sold me the car (Southampton) who were unable to help me (I know!) so told me to ring up Subaru UK. Subaru UK confirmed my car registration had not changed at all (in case this was the reason RAC could not find my car on their system), and importantly they confirmed my car definitely had an RAC Trackstar tracker on it according to my vin number. They said RAC were at fault here and pretty bad at keeping track of what cars had trackers on them and the fault was with them. Subaru UK also told me the only way to resolve this issue was to provide RAC Trackstar with the serial number of the tracker as that would be a sure way for RAC to "link" my car to the tracker on it. I said "how do I do that?" I have to take my car to a main dealer who will charge me for the hassle and they will locate my tracker and obtain the serial number. I was fuming. Not only do I have to pay hundreds for the tracker (I expected this) but I am being told by Subaru that I have to pay them to find my tracker so I can pay to have it activated.

I phoned back Admiral that evening explaining what had happened, and out of pure curiosity I asked them exactly how much my premium would go up if I did NOT activate my tracker. £17.50!!! I said well I will pay this extra and leave it un-activated! The previous day I had assumed I had to definitely get the tracker activated as they would either not insure my car, or the premium would go up by several hundred (ie more than the cost of the tracker subscription). Not at all, so RAC's incompetence has saved me several hundred pounds, when I was on the phone with my debit card ready in hand to pay them money . If they can't tell whether my car (by car reg or vin number) has a tracker on board how will they be if my car got stolen.

I do know this may not be everyone's preference as some would much prefer to have the tracker activated (not to save money but for peace of mind and I would too). But after paying several thousand towards the deposit for the car (plus the tax which Subaru refused to throw in) money is an issue (at the moment at least - I may get the tracker activated in the future but it was more the hassle I had gone through that day simply to try and activate and pay for the damn thing that put me off) and to newbies like me its worth asking your ins co how much the premium would go up by if the tracker is not activated and you might be surprised like I was. Plus I was pretty dismayed at the lack of helpful service from Subaru (who should have liaised on my behalf to get this issue resolved) when I'd just bought an expensive car from them. I know this is a bit of a rant but it was interesting just how little of a difference to insurance a tracker actually makes.

Last edited by matth76; 22 April 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 23 April 2011, 09:02 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer should definately have done more to help. You should write to them and inform the Dealer Principal of the poor after sales service and that you will ot be using their dealership again or recomending them to anyone. There are plenty good dealerships around and plenty excellent private companies who will look after your Impreza as well if not better than the dealership but for less money.
Old 23 April 2011, 09:29 AM
yorvik
Scooby Regular

My Hawkeye which I bought last year has Tracker fitted....there was no difference in the premium from Aviva whether it was activated or not!
I did activate it, but am wondering how much use it actually is as its not the GPS system. How far away does the police car have to be to track it?
Old 24 April 2011, 08:37 PM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

I believe mine has a tracker in it but I haven't activated it. I get no discount through my insurance company if I did but the main this is if it goes missing I would prefer it stayed missing. It's not like whoever takes it will make sure they miss the pot holes, takes their time warming it up and cooling it down is it.
Old 24 April 2011, 08:41 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Mine is fitted and registered, its more of a piece of mind rather than for insurance premiums.
Old 29 April 2011, 01:15 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bungleaio
I believe mine has a tracker in it but I haven't activated it. I get no discount through my insurance company if I did but the main this is if it goes missing I would prefer it stayed missing. It's not like whoever takes it will make sure they miss the pot holes, takes their time warming it up and cooling it down is it.
My thinking exactly. Plus when you get it back it is classed as a "stolen recovered" so you end up losing a load of value on the car.
Old 30 April 2011, 10:28 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

If the tracker helps close down car thieves then it cannot be a bad thing surely?
After all, the police need all the help they can get these days.

dipster
Old 30 April 2011, 11:51 PM
gerryirl
Scooby Regular

can you find out yourself where the car is if its stolen, ie can you text it etc.. I bought a type uk sti its in Rep of Ireland now who would I ring about it.

@ matth76 have you a number for who you rang, how much is it per year