Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightmare.com!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2010, 05:30 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightmare.com!!!!

I'm on the cusp of buying a 2007 STi Type UK which is standard and insurance is proving a nightmare to find at a reasonable price.

Cheapest up to now it 1st Central at mid £800's with £550 excess which is ok except they arent mod friendly so any future mod changes wont be happening.
Next best are a few around the £1200-1300 mark like Elephant, Admiral etc though Gary @ KM did mention he could only get to £1100ish...Aplan was £2k!! Flux was also silly high.
Sky Insurance was £1400 as well.

Most of it seems to be down to my post code of PR5 (Preston) which is deemed (for some reason) to be on the "blacklist" and the best insurers wont quote for it. This doesnt make sense when you look at where i live yet no doubt the dodgy dumps in the middle of town with boarded up windows would be ok.

I also have an SP30 ban but no claims or points yet it doesnt tend to get this far before the quote is looking very high.
My only hope is Greenlight who have quoted me £820 on a WR1 a few weeks ago, cant see the STi Type UK being worse and it should be better as its less powerful....we'll see but they arent emailing me any quotes for the past week (you have to fill out an online form for them to look into generating a quote, cant do a quote over the phone).

Sorry jsut feel the need to vent off some steam!!

btw i'm 34yrs old (so no young pup), 9yrs NCB and have experience of driving powerful RWD cars like the VXR8 and Z4M as well as numerous hot hatches (Focus RS mk1, ST mk2, Astra VXR and more).

Any more places to try?
Old 23 April 2010, 05:45 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

postcodes my area manchester warrington liverpool rochdale all bad sky insurance dosnt insure in any off these areas your lucky to get a quote off them i cant
Old 24 April 2010, 12:24 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Speak to Moley at Keith Michaels before you commit
Old 24 April 2010, 07:34 AM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Speak to Moley at Keith Michaels before you commit
I have mate ~£1100 as the cheapest insurers he uses wouldnt quote on my post code.
Old 24 April 2010, 03:57 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

I got told the same when I was getting my Impreza Stu, a lot of places wouldn't quote me and when I asked it was down to the postcode

with this recession, insurers are really tightening up and reducing risks so they don't lose money

it was Moley who told me this BTW
Old 24 April 2010, 04:06 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It is harder to get insurance in postcodes that high a high ratio of personal injury claims unfortunately
Old 24 April 2010, 04:27 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Aye tis annoying!
How much you paying through Aplan Rich?

I'm hoping Greenlight come up trumps tbh, they tend to be ok with mods so i have the choice of doing some in future.
Old 24 April 2010, 04:53 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

I swapped cars mid term, so not sure of the exact years premium, but it's about £600

although that's about 50% more than I was paying on my modified 200SX S14a, so more power & rwd, makes no sense LOL
Old 24 April 2010, 05:30 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Insurance is shocking, i get older and it doesnt seem to improve that much and infact its getting worse cost wise.
I can get a quote on a Z4M Coupe for £600 for god sake but the Scooby / Evo is alot more.
Old 24 April 2010, 05:39 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

it's the type of cars we want... insurance is cheap on a diesel Mondeo
Old 24 April 2010, 05:45 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

True but i was paying circa £500 on then brand new Civic Type R in 2002 and i was 26.
Old 24 April 2010, 06:26 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

that was 8 years ago, insurance prices have increased in that time

strangely though it cost me a lot more to insure that Civic when I bought it off you!?
Old 24 April 2010, 08:04 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Ah well, post code seems to be a major weighting even though i've never made a claim so it cant be that bad.

Signed up for Member status on here now so i'll get an STI at some point and have to grin and bare the cost of the insurance!
Old 26 April 2010, 08:59 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

I think it only fair i update the thread as Gary has since come back to me today after looking into my exact details (driving history, location etc Googlemaps FTW! My black VXR8 is on there ) and given me the best quote i've had to date on a STI - £850.

For this i'd like to recommend Gary and Keith Michaels to everyone, how many other places go the extra mile like this? Not many at all!!
Much appreciated Gary

However!

I've placed a deposit on a M.I.N.T. GB270 Wagon today so will require an epic quote on that! Current best is £724 / £550 excess from the usual crowd on Comparethemarket!

Last edited by duckson; 26 April 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 26 April 2010, 09:19 PM
Moley
Sponsor

No probs.

Did notice the VXR8 on the drive, what did you think of it?
Definately on my wish list (especially the Bathurst)
Old 26 April 2010, 09:37 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Yea tis a very nice car, very big mind you (bigger than an A6) and you do notice the weight even with a 6.2 V8! Even so for the price at the time (£24k brand new) there was/is nothing like it for value and road presence really if your wanting new or as close as.
You can actually see my Z4M Roadster in the aerial shot, that was black as well.

I've PMed you the reg plate of the Wagon, car is 100% standard but has the optional leather/alcantara seats, boost gauge, wind deflectors and rear load protector...if this lot even matters but i'd rather be honest and upfront with everything.
Drop me a PM with the price if you can get one tomorrow.
Old 27 April 2010, 01:18 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Gary @ KM (thanks mate) has come back with £750 / £500 excess but this has legal etc cover which the other £724 quote doesnt...also KM are more mod friendly so it gives me options for the future if required (1st Central @ £724 wont cover if modded).

Just Greenlight left to try and better it!
Old 27 April 2010, 04:49 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

I'm mildly fuming.

Just phoned Greenlight to see what the score is with no reply on my quote request and because i've sent about 4 quote requests in over the past month they start ignoring them...fair enough.
Told them i'm getting the GB270 which is the last quote i sent in so defo need a quote....goes away after asking me what cars i've had over the past 12 months (Cooper S for 6 months, VXR8 2 months, Z4M 4 months) then comes back saying we cant quote you cus you've not had a 200bhp+ car for 12 months continuous (MCS is 175bhp)!
I said hold on a minute you quoted me on a WR1 2 weeks ago and a Focus RS mk2 2 weeks prior to that to which he replied well that would of been subject to having driven to the "200bhp for 12 months rule"!! Didnt mention any of this when i phoned up about those quotes to check the details though (is a tracker required, include wife as named driver etc)!!!
I also pointed out i've had many 200bhp+ cars over the past nigh on 10 years (Astra VXR, Focus ST (remapped, insured with Greenlight for 12 months!), Focus RS mk1, Leon Cupra R, Civic Type R EP3) and that i have 9yrs NCB and havent made a claim in your stated 5yr period....do the obvious and you can see i havent written or crashed anything "200bhp+" recently!! Infact my only claim was in 1994 when a woman crashed into my parked up Nova after skidding on black ice....i was in bed asleep at the time!!!

Argghghghghghg...idiots.

Thats Keith Michaels getting my money then, thanks Gary, will be in contact.
Old 28 April 2010, 02:01 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Glad to get it sorted mate