Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance and Breakdown for Europe/Ring

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2010, 11:40 AM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance and Breakdown for Europe/Ring

Hi everyone

I'm off to the Nurburgring in May and would like to get some decent breakdown cover sorted out. I am with Barclays Premier banking and they provide standard UK breakdown but not European.

So - who do you recommend that will recover my vehicle to the UK should the worst happens? Also - do you know who provides insurance for the ring itself? Admiral and most UK based 'call centre' insurers specifically rule out roads that are used as race tracks and toll roads in their wording.

Your info is much appreciated!
Old 07 April 2010, 10:08 AM
skyinsurance
Former Sponsor

You'll need to take out seperate insurance cover for the 'ring, try a google search on the subject. No UK insurers that I know of will provide cover whilst on the 'ring.

With regards to breakdown cover, my compamy may be able to help, we offer UK and European and breakdown cover for £84.95. Pm me your contact details if you would like a call back to discuss this.

Thanks
Old 08 April 2010, 07:27 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

I have been round Europe twice, and had AA European Breakdown cover.

I needed it the second time round, but be warned the way it is written isn't quite how it works out.......
1). It says it will get you to your destination. This is the people in the car, and not the car itself!!
- I broke down in Austria on a Sunday, and the Austrian Breakdown Club put me on a flat bed and dropped me and my car off at a closed Subaru Garage. I was expecting to get taken in to Slovakia, as this was my destination!
- The AA would have got me a car so I could drive myself to Slovakia, but I wasn't leaving my car in a random town. Luckily we knew someone with a flat bed in Slovakia so they came for us and dropped the car off at the Subaru Garage in the town where I was staying.

2). They will only ship your car back to the UK if you need a new engine etc. Not for minor faults. So your car will stay a while if it is fixable within a few thousand pounds (which the AA will pay £500 worth).
- Again, luckily my car didn't need a new engine as it was just the turbo which blew its seals, but my girlfriends dad knows the owner well, so he told the AA I needed a new engine, as I didn't want to risk driving home again!!

- They then did ship the car home safely, but it took about 2 weeks due to bad weather, and they also paid for our flights home, and a courtesy car in Slovakia and the UK.

The service was good, but I didn't realise the way things worked!! Now I do, and would definately use it again, but be warned it isn't as it seems.
Old 14 April 2010, 09:52 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Check out BIG FUD's experiences on 22B regarding his ring antics, I think he used ADAC ?

dunx