Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insurance confusion

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2009, 12:28 PM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance confusion

Hi folks,

have just returned to the uk after working in mainland europe (where it has to be said there very grateful for all the cash, but they really dont consider the uk as being part of Europe) and I am having some insurance fun and games.

We kept a uk family car whilst aborad, using a lloyds underwritten policy through ibex an Brit ex pat insurance company.
There proof of no claims is a max four year affair (i have been with them for 6 years, but there letter states 4 years or more) but as this no claims was earned outside of the uk, the companies suggested through gocompare and moneysupermarket etc will not allow me to use this as proof of no claims..

Bizarrely they will consider any accidents tho (which takes the mick in my opinion, thankfully there werent any).

As a result im trying to insure a little 525d saloon i picked up on arrival in the uk, am nearly 40, license since 18, no accidents on car or bike (no claims there not transferable either, but accidents are again - thankfully none there either!) and the figures being quoted are akin to the purchase price of the car!

any suggestions anyone?
Old 21 April 2009, 10:16 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

:mad :
Makes my blood boil, Just typical they look at all the bad things and never reward you with the good ones.
Old 22 April 2009, 07:58 AM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

Just a quick note to say that Rob at Aplan was very helpful, and he got me a much better deal than the much touted comparison sites were offering me.
Old 22 April 2009, 11:33 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobylover
Just a quick note to say that Rob at Aplan was very helpful, and he got me a much better deal than the much touted comparison sites were offering me.
That was your problem. Get an idea of prices but always deal direct with a good broker or the insurer. Often they will "have a word with the underwriter" which the price comparison rip offs don't do.

5t.
Old 22 April 2009, 01:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

try gary moulson at keith michaels, hes a usefull chap in situations of anoying insurance canumdrums lol
Old 22 April 2009, 01:16 PM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

interestingly enough when i rang admiral to cancel under the 14 day cancelation clause, (they were the previous cheapest option and i needed some cover to pick the car up) they then wanted to re-negtotiate the premium and would look at allowing my non uk earned ncd.

Funny how that was not an option when i rang them the first time, it was refused point blank......
told them to poke it, they should not have tried to take the mick at the first opportunity.
Old 28 April 2009, 07:49 AM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Strange, i was with Admiral before i moved to Cyprus for 3 years. On my return i called them and the no-claims i had form them plus the 3 years of insurance cerrificates form Cyprus was enough for them. Never had a problem...... I was told there is a time limit on how long UK no-claims is valid if you move abroard but they wouldn't confirm that.
Hope you get it sorted.

Old 08 April 2010, 03:50 PM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

Well its renewal time, now have an extra years ncb and thanks to Rob using Zurich who would take my european ncb it has "laundered" it to a fully uk company compliant ncb

Got my renewal through from A-plan, £33 more than last year, 12% interest on monthly payments, or 2% surcharge on credit cards (which i thought you could not do as part of your credit card agreement) or £7 admin fee per cheque if paying by post dated cheques over 3 months.

Interestingly Rob no longer works there i was told and the person on the phones attitude when i called was like it or lump it.... nice!

Anyone know which broker Rob is working at now?
Old 09 April 2010, 10:24 AM
skyinsurance
Former Sponsor

Anyone know which broker Rob is working at now?
No but you are very welcome to try my company for a compariosn on price.

tel: 02083645500
Old 09 April 2010, 05:57 PM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Sky Insurance, blew the other quotes out of the water, helpful and friendly.

Top marks from me.
Old 13 April 2010, 11:32 AM
skyinsurance
Former Sponsor

Spoke to Sky Insurance, blew the other quotes out of the water, helpful and friendly.

Top marks from me.
Great stuff