Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greenlight are they for fookin real?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2008, 11:25 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Greenlight are they for fookin real?

Just gathering some info for when the my V3 type r project is finished.

All the blurb on their front page saying how good they are blah blah blah with modified cars blah blah blah.

Then I see the list of what they exclude or refuse to insure.

copied and pasted from their site:

Excluded vehicles

BMW M3 (E36) model - (E30/E46 derivatives are still acceptable)
Citroen Saxo models
Ford Sierra RS500 model
Honda S2000, Integra DC2 & DC5 imports (UK DC2's are acceptable)
Imported Subaru models (UK Models are acceptable)
Lotus Elise/Exige
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo (All)
Nissan 200SX models (All)
Porsche (except Boxster)
Renault Clio 172 “Cup” (non-ABS) model - (All other 172 derivatives are acceptable)
Skoda Fabia/Octavia models
TVR (all models)
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
LHD vehicles (except Golf Rallye and Lancia Delta)
Vehicles not listed by The Association Of British Insurers (ABI)

I'm sorry but that's fooking ridiculous.

Insure performance and modified cars, my ****!!!

Last edited by dazdavies; 13 March 2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 14 March 2008, 12:49 AM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read this and thought much the same. Rediculous.
Old 14 March 2008, 02:23 AM
Mew
Scooby Regular

maybe i should give them a call hahaha i got a turbo 2000... thats covered aint it? lol
Old 14 March 2008, 10:15 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

To be fair to Greenlight, they are being very sensible

If you could see the claim stats for those particular cars you'd understand why they don't insure them.

With the exception of Import Impreza's and Evo's, we're probably very similar to that list.
Old 14 March 2008, 12:31 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mew
maybe i should give them a call hahaha i got a turbo 2000... thats covered aint it? lol
I've got a 500bhp UK turbo 2000 aswell as the STI Type R but you're missing the point.
Old 17 March 2008, 12:45 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Hi Daz,

Sorry we couldnt assist you with your import cover requirement.

To remain competitive, our stance is to not carry any passengers in terms of risk profiles that our historic experience has shown to be problematic or consistently unprofitable.

Prudent Underwriting is always employed here at Greenlight and our view is very much that a strategy of covering unprofitable risks by increasing terms for profitable risks is neither fair on the better risk profiles or sustainable, as eventually all you would be left with due to overpricing profitable risk profiles would be the subsidised risks - without the subsidy of the good profiles.

As for listing what we do not cover upon our website, we also feel this to be a prudent practice - to us operating overtly just makes so much sense. On the basis that it saves potential applicants the trouble of applying only to be declined, or worse, cynically receive heightened 'go away' terms on the basis that the respective Insurance provider wished to capture your details for future marketing purposes.

Hopefully this helps to explain our stance.

Kind regards

Tony

Ps. whilst checking for your application I noticed that we managed to offer terms for your 550BHP UK impreza, so you can clearly see that we arent shy of performance cars - we simply do not aim to target historically unprofitable aspects.

Last edited by Tony@Greenlight; 17 March 2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: addition of NB.
Old 17 March 2008, 03:05 PM
brookysti
Scooby Regular

They have never covered imports if i remember correctly.

Plus they where a grand cheaper for me on my sti so they get the thumbs up from me
Old 17 March 2008, 03:30 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,

I appreciate the honest reply. I've no doubt that the reasons you have stated provide a better commercial footing but it's just so damn frustrating for me as a customer. I do not however see the point in distinguishing between UK and Japanese models when other companies that do cover Japanese Models use the same underwriter as yourselves. As far as I am aware you are only a broker are you not?

Obviously insurance is about risk assessment but I just feel with your exclusions that you're doing more than other companies do to limit their exposure to risk. But atleast you're upfront and honest about it from the start which as you have stated saves alot of wasted time. I know not to even consider Greenlight when the time comes for me to insure the STI Type R.

Cheers

Daz
Old 17 March 2008, 09:01 PM
funnycar
Scooby Regular

i got a decent quote for my 182 a few years ago. It was a good £300 less than anyone else

only reason I left was because they wouldnt protect my NCB untill id hit 5 years.

There always a company id consider gettin a quote from
Old 18 March 2008, 11:10 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Thanks Funnycar,

We can protect bonus for drivers from 22 years upward if they have 5 years NCB, or 23 upward with other underwriters who accept 4 years to protect.

Hope all's been well with you and glad to hear that we may be able to help you in the future.

Kind regards

Tony
Old 19 March 2008, 09:12 AM
Holyterror72
Scooby Regular

I find it amusing that Fabias and Octavias are on there.

How do the taxi drivers get on with such a high risk vehicle as the Octavia?
Old 19 March 2008, 10:30 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Holyterror72
I find it amusing that Fabias and Octavias are on there.

How do the taxi drivers get on with such a high risk vehicle as the Octavia?
Thats probably why the Skoda claim stats are so high
Old 19 March 2008, 12:02 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Here's a question for you then, (Tony at Greenlight) why sponsor a website for which you wont insure the majority of cars which the website relates to, i.e import subarus?
Old 19 March 2008, 11:10 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonny,
Not sure where you get your statistics from but the majority of the ScoobyNet community do not own imports. The majority of Subaru owners in the UK do not own imports.
Old 20 March 2008, 09:22 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Fair do's I stand corrected, I would be surprised if somewhere in the region of 40% weren't imports though. It just seem like a strange decision not to insure import subaru's and the long list of other performance cars when they claim to be a performance car insurer? Maybe there ad should be changed to "Covering SOME performance subaru's since 1998". I understand why I pay a premium over a UK car and I'm happy to do so but it would be nice to have a bit more choice.
Old 20 March 2008, 09:41 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonny 693,
I would suggest you blame the claims etc..... not the insuring company.

Find out what Liverpool Victoria do now after they covered all and sundry for a number of years. They were the daddys at one stage....... not so now.

Insurance and business perhaps do not mix! I am sure it is not an easy task to ensure your companys sustainability as well as pleasing all potential customers.
Old 22 March 2008, 01:10 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

With all due respect webby they use the same underwriters that other brokers do. So why these can't insure imports when others companies do is a mystery to me. If it was a case of the underwriters not willing to cover imports then fair enough. But as these use the same brokers I'd say it was poor broker policy nothing more.

No doubt I'll be told I've got my facts wrong so my flame suit is on and zipped up
Old 22 March 2008, 11:35 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by dazdavies
With all due respect webby they use the same underwriters that other brokers do. So why these can't insure imports when others companies do is a mystery to me. If it was a case of the underwriters not willing to cover imports then fair enough. But as these use the same brokers I'd say it was poor broker policy nothing more.

No doubt I'll be told I've got my facts wrong so my flame suit is on and zipped up
Hi Daz

TBH although some brokers use the same insurers as others, the schemes they have are often completely different.

At Keith Michaels we can use same insurers as another well known broker on here (not Greenlight), but we wouldn't get anywhere near the same rates they get.
Old 25 March 2008, 07:42 PM
mickaldo
Scooby Regular

wouldn,t insure my wife,s a3 either.bit of a ****e company imo. 40 years old & 9 years ncb whats that all about?
Old 25 March 2008, 08:34 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by mickaldo
wouldn,t insure my wife,s a3 either.bit of a ****e company imo. 40 years old & 9 years ncb whats that all about?
From looking at your other thread it is due to your postcode.

If companies have very high claim stats for certain areas it isn't suprising if they don't want to quote on them.
Old 25 March 2008, 10:15 PM
dlynch
Scooby Regular

Well i have just submitted for a quote from Greenlight for a bog standard WRX - Lets see how competitive they are......
Old 25 March 2008, 10:38 PM
mickaldo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
From looking at your other thread it is due to your postcode.

If companies have very high claim stats for certain areas it isn't suprising if they don't want to quote on them.
well they should put low risk customers only in there advertisement then with a list of postcodes they dont cover. save on time filling the online form in. thats another thing, they dont give quotes over the phone .
Old 06 May 2008, 03:25 PM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dlynch
Well i have just submitted for a quote from Greenlight for a bog standard WRX - Lets see how competitive they are......
I've just submitted a quote for a 1999 turbo 2000.
Must remember to post the results up when I get them.
best quote so far is standing at keith michaels at around just under £1100.
Incidentally, I rang to speak to Gary Moulson (as specifically instructed somewhere on here) and was told there was no gary who works there??
I was a bit reluctant to take a quote since I know it means I'm stuck as that person's client from then on, but how could I argue with that?
Old 06 May 2008, 03:31 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by nerocircus
I've just submitted a quote for a 1999 turbo 2000.
Must remember to post the results up when I get them.
best quote so far is standing at keith michaels at around just under £1100.
Incidentally, I rang to speak to Gary Moulson (as specifically instructed somewhere on here) and was told there was no gary who works there??
I was a bit reluctant to take a quote since I know it means I'm stuck as that person's client from then on, but how could I argue with that?
That's a bit odd, as there are actually 2 Gary's here!!!
Old 08 May 2008, 08:49 AM
Holyterror72
Scooby Regular

I rang Keith Michaels a week ago and didnt have much luck. The bloke I spoke to (didnt get his name) made me laugh. I listed the mods and when I'd finished discussing exhaust syustems, FMIC, etc he said 'so no perfomance mods then?', to which I replied 'If they arent performace mods, then no'. A bit odd. He never got back to me as he said he would either, so if Im stuck with having to speak to that bloke I dont think I will ever be ringing back.

I think its the luck of the draw really as I know a lot of people who are happy with them. Same with A Plan, some good reports and others hate them.
Old 09 May 2008, 12:03 PM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
That's a bit odd, as there are actually 2 Gary's here!!!
tell me about it! So this remained my best quote, so I rang them back after trying lots of other places, and asked to double check a few details of the policy, to which I was told I was not even listed on the system! Anyhhhoowwww, turns out, the number I got from the thread on here (I'm sure it was from gary moulson) was for A-Plan?? I had rang keith michaels on a diff number (from their website) to what was posted on here (which was for A plan). Very odd. So anyhow, got a quote from Keith Michaels eventually (but wasn't gary as it was all very confusing and the guy had already taken my details!) for about £1400. A plan have quoted me £1089 which is best so far (followed closely by Kwik fit of all places!)
My head hurts from ringing so many places. I can't even remember who I'm supposed to call back now :-S
Hate sorting insurance out. on the plus side, though, I GET TO PICK THE CAR UP TOMORROW!!!
Old 09 May 2008, 12:26 PM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

Incidentally, I hadn't realised the criteria for greenlight offering me a quote (must have owned and driven performance car for last 12 months and being able to produce a copy of installation certificat for thatcham 1 device). Which is totally gutting, since they quoted me the best by a mile (just under 700quid!).
Damn that economical ford fusion!! Hated it from the start and now I resent it even more!
lol