Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DONT BUY INSURANCE FROM TESCO

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2007, 11:34 AM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DONT BUY INSURANCE FROM TESCO

Don’t buy insurance from Tesco

I was very happy with Tesco they give me a very good price last year. Anyhow, last week I received a letter from them,

“We have changed the rules since you first took out your policy with us, we now required all drives to be a minimum of 25 years old on this type of car. Therefore we are terminating your policy as off renewal on the… XX/XX/XXXX”

ok, so i called, i am over 25, have 7 years NCB and never made claim, ever! A very rude guy told me that because my girlfriend is only 24 and named on the policy, they have decided not to renew. she has never made any claims and is only 3 months of 25.

I asked what reason they had for this, and the only reason is AGE. I took her off the policy, but the guy stated they have the right to refuse anyone based on what every grounds they like. I made a completed and now…………..they have decided to refuse me insurance altogether!

Can they cancel a contract like that!

My message: if your are will Tesco, under 25, on an import, except a letter, soon!

and its not just me look here they dont seem very good at paying out if you did have any problems: Reviews on Tesco Car Insurance Look at tests, reports and read reviews: dooyoo.co.uk

Last edited by sparky300; 02 June 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02 June 2007, 11:40 AM
Bully3176
Scooby Regular

Had both our cars with Tesco, it seems that the first years quote was great then when it came for renewal thier price was cr@p! Speak to A plan mate, they know what they are talking about and are extremely competative! Tesco my ****!
Old 02 June 2007, 12:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under 25's cannot, as a general rule, drive properly.

There is a reason why the age limit is set at 25 for so many things.

Imagine if you owned an Insurance Company - would YOU insure under 25's, given all the evidence that they make the most claims and the claims are of a higher amount? Nah, I would want the 40+ drivers and you would too.

And, if by dumping the under 25's, TESCO can offer better rates to safer drivers - then it's their choice.

Just a shame they couldn't be more reasonable about your GF as she is nearly 25 anyway .... but, you kicking off wouldn't have helped things

Move elsewhere is my advice - it a free marketplace.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:33 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

i dont have the issues with the age thing,@ 17 years old i paid £1500 for a 998cc why becuase at that age i could not handle a car. i am over 25, she is 24 now, we have never made a claim or had any speeding points. they dont look at your personal settings at all. then to refuse me becuase i kicked up a fuss! well thats just not on.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:36 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sparky300
and now…………..they have decided to refuse me insurance altogether!
Now you're stuffed!

Don't all insurance companies (car, house, contents, etc) ask if you have ever been refused insurance?

If you answer no in future your insurance could be declared null and void in the event of a claim.

It may be worth you getting a statement from them re their change of policy.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:38 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Under 25's cannot, as a general rule, drive properly.

There is a reason why the age limit is set at 25 for so many things.

Imagine if you owned an Insurance Company - would YOU insure under 25's, given all the evidence that they make the most claims and the claims are of a higher amount? Nah, I would want the 40+ drivers and you would too.
So the minute you pass the age of 25 something magical happens and your driving ability instantly improves? Didn't realise it was that 'black and white' so to speak.

And under 25's do not make the most claims. That was proven last week on the program 'Driving me mad' presented by Jo Brand about pensioners who continue to drive despite the fact that their age is affecting their abilility to drive. There was a fact quoted on there that older age people make more claims than younger drivers.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:39 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Pursue the matter with Tesco. One **** in a call-centre wont be able to make a binding decision.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:42 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Don’t buy insurance from Tesco

I was very happy with Tesco they give me a very good price last year. Anyhow, last week I received a letter from them,

“We have changed the rules since you first took out your policy with us, we now required all drives to be a minimum of 25 years old on this type of car. Therefore we are terminating your policy as off renewal on the… XX/XX/XXXX”

I had the exact same letter. I was 24 this year and signed to them when i bought my car @ 23. Good quote too @ 23, not interested @ 24... but asked if i could try them again when im 25?
My answer was: How about you do one! Im not even shopping at Tescos anymore, and i wont get my fuel their either like i used too.
I know it wont make a difference to Tesco, but it will to me

Try Nationwide insurance mate, thats who i went with for my renewal.. and they beat Tesco's from last year.

I can understand their reasons, but you would think it would apply to new policies rather than upsetting exisiting customers.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:46 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

just done A plan online see what price i get. just spoken with a friend how was with Tesco and they put up her quote half way in the year!
Old 02 June 2007, 12:50 PM
pjhsid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gdavey
Now you're stuffed!
Don't all insurance companies (car, house, contents, etc) ask if you have ever been refused insurance?
Yep.. I'd say you are now Royally ****ed.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:51 PM
pjhsid
Scooby Regular

just done A plan online see what price i get. just spoken with a friend how was with Tesco and they put up her quote half way in the year!
Quote or Premium?

Quote is fine, I'd expect that based on market forces...

They surely can't increase your premium halfway thru the policy tho?
Old 02 June 2007, 12:55 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Boycott multi-national conglomerates full stop. They are the new evil. The OCP (Robocop) of this world.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:56 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

Did no one tell you, in a few months time my girlfriend drive experience improves just because of her age. Yes she 25, now she can finally drive, forget shes never making a claim or had any points from 17 to the age of 25 …..

Lol, like a few months will make any difference. The guy was a real ****…

“me: so you cannot make decisions based on fact then?,
him: we are the underwriters, but I have to take the computers decision on this, she is 24 and I can not do this just for you.
Me: so you don’t have a mind of your own, your website states you build a quote on personal circumstances, so this is not true!
Him: no its not true.
Me: so your just computer then, who can not make any decisions, what the hell do they employ you for?
Him: I don’t have to take calls from customers you know, I m doing you a favour, I have the right to refuse anyone I like, and now I refuse you. HE ENDS CALL.

this is how the call ended, what the F**k..........................
Old 02 June 2007, 01:00 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Take your custom elsewhere. I've been with Direct Line for a good few years, my policies have always been large due to my age and the cars I have chosen to buy. Have always paid the policies upfront in cash. As such, for being a valued customer (well that's what they said) they insured me at 24 on an MY06 Spec C Type RA. Phoned for a quote, checked with underwriters and they were fine because I have given them my custom for many years so they returned the favour by insuring me.
Old 02 June 2007, 01:00 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pjhsid
Quote or Premium?

Quote is fine, I'd expect that based on market forces...

They surely can't increase your premium halfway thru the policy tho?
premium, and they did. not just her either on the net i ahve found examples of it too. they state in their contract that you sign they have the right to change prices at anythime.
Old 02 June 2007, 01:02 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

i was with Direct Line b4 they were always good, but i founf they dont like imports that much, which is fine at least they tell you
Old 02 June 2007, 01:07 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marmski
Try Nationwide insurance mate, thats who i went with for my renewal.. and they beat Tesco's from last year.

I can understand their reasons, but you would think it would apply to new policies rather than upsetting exisiting customers.
Nationwide:

LOL, that the most ever, from £800, to wait for it.... £2,517.90

Nationwide something wrong.
Old 02 June 2007, 01:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The issue with TESCO refusing you insurance is a valid one.

EVERY Insurance Company asks whether you have been refused Insurance elsewhere ..... you have to answer YES to that and I'm afraid you may be in deep, deep ****.

TESCO will have kept the transcript of the conversation you had with them and will make it available to other Insurance Companies - if you overstepped the mark I'm afraid you may find it impossible to get a quote anywhere

I would get right back to TESCO and eat humble pie ...... beg and grovel, because these companies stick together! And there is NO time limit to declaring you had Insurance refused ... it will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Get on the phone to TESCO and tell them you were under stress or something and get a statement that you have not, in fact, been refused cover.

If you were refused cover simply on age then you will be fine - but it needs clearling up.

Last edited by pslewis; 02 June 2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02 June 2007, 01:28 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Ok, I believe if you have the cash, you deserve the rights to get insurance.
At 17 I had gone out and bought an XR3i Cabriolet and it took me ages to find someone who would insure me.

In the end it cost me £1900 TPFT

The point is YES, young drivers are a high risk, as is old drivers.
So a simple risk premium on the policy should cover it surely?

Like fuel, I never get my insurance from a supermarket, they're for groceries

Oh, I'd just like to thank Keith Michaels for saving me just under £100 on my renewal
Old 02 June 2007, 01:39 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bully3176
Had both our cars with Tesco, it seems that the first years quote was great then when it came for renewal thier price was cr@p! Speak to A plan mate, they know what they are talking about and are extremely competative! Tesco my ****!
a plan are useless i had 2 cars with them and with both of them they never sent out a insurance cert even after phone calls asking them for them thats a cert for each and was with them for 2 years ( never again )
Old 02 June 2007, 01:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I had a slight issue with A Plan .... they were quoting on behalf of a Company who had told them that they were not to quote on Imprezas. 'Running at risk' I think it's called.

You must be aware of Underwriting tricks used by some Brokers, not stating A Plan in particular, just in general ....
Old 02 June 2007, 02:03 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

EVERY Insurance Company asks whether you have been refused Insurance elsewhere ..... you have to answer YES to that and I'm afraid you may be in deep, deep ****.

If you were refused cover simply on age then you will be fine - but it needs clearling up.
The guy/girl won't be in deep, deep poo. Refusal to quote because of age of the drivers will not be an issue with further quotes. I'd agree it should be mentioned, but I don't have any doubt that the next insurer would be unconcerned.

Having said that, the insurance company can "cancel" the policy as renewal if they like, just as the policyholder can. After all, plenty of motorists change insurers at Renewal because they found a cheaper quote : the insurer can get shot of the policyholder at Rnl in the same way (in fact they can also cancel mid-term after giving formal notification).

Contact Keith Michaels Brokers, Greenlight or A-Plan.

And Pete - saying under 25s can't drive properly -
Old 02 June 2007, 02:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
And Pete - saying under 25s can't drive properly -
I'll give you 10 years - then you will think and know the same as I do (and Insurance Companies for that matter)
Old 02 June 2007, 02:23 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

If any young import Impreza drivers have never been refused a quote, they'll be in the minority. There's plenty of companies who just don't cover high group cars (particularly imports or modified ones), whatever the driver circumstances. On my last renewal, I simply answered "several have declined to quote as I have a modified / too high group car", never caused any problems.

To defend the "over 25" policy to an extent - insurance companies like everyone in life have to draw the line somewhere. If turning 25 is where they've put the line, it'll be based on statistics and so that's where the line is. I'm not suggesting you miraculously get safer on the day of your 25th birthday, but it's something that's easy to measure and apply, and you have to put the line somewhere. Saying "the girlfriends's only 3 months off 25" is all well and good, but if they insure her, why not someone who's 6 months off, and if they insure someone who's 6 months off, why not someone at 9 months off? Ultimately, it's a bit like asking "why can I learn to drive at 17, and not at 16 and 364 days"?
Old 02 June 2007, 02:23 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I'll give you 10 years - then you will think and know the same as I do (and Insurance Companies for that matter)
I can assure you I'm more than 10 years past 25.
Old 02 June 2007, 10:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

so if the thing regards being refused insurance comes into play i must be absolutley fcuked then. when i do searches for insurance quotes, loads and loads come back on tinternet saying "we cant quote you for this that and the other reason"... or is that different to being point blank refused insurance.

andy
Old 02 June 2007, 10:46 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Under 25's cannot drive properly.
Hmmm, someone better tell Lewis Hamilton
Old 02 June 2007, 11:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Right ... lets get one thing straight - refused a QUOTE is DIFFERENT to being refused INSURANCE!!

I have, like everyone else, been told that a company declines to quote ..... BUT, being given a quote and then declined Insurance has never happened to me and is very rare indeed.

As I understand it, TESCO were willing to quote (and did) - there was an Insurance Cover option on the table - then, due to the posters dispute Cover was then refused, which is notifiable.
Old 03 June 2007, 12:06 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

on the understanding of what the poster put in post 13 i would say he just refused to speak to you not refused insurance
Old 04 June 2007, 09:14 AM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

TESCO will have kept the transcript of the conversation you had with them and will make it available to other Insurance Companies - if you overstepped the mark I'm afraid you may find it impossible to get a quote anywhere

I would get right back to TESCO and eat humble pie ...... beg and grovel, because these companies stick together! And there is NO time limit to declaring you had Insurance refused ... it will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Get on the phone to TESCO and tell them you were under stress or something and get a statement that you have not, in fact, been refused cover.

ended up not being an issues with adrian flux, they said they get calls from Tesco customers all the time over the last 6 Months. she was very nice and beat the quote from Tesco anyway my new quote was £850.