Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why category B write off? Motor Salvage code of practice

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2007, 12:59 PM
Cosmic37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question why category B write off? Motor Salvage code of practice

I crashed my MY98 and the insurer made it category B meaning I cannot repair it for the road. I have tried to establish why it is category B and not category C as I have seen similar damage cat C and repaired for the road. They just seem to say it is uneconomic for repair and assessed as cat C. I even got hold of the engineers report summary page but it does not give any real detail. I had expected and asked for a list of damaged components which actually made the vehicle unsafe to repair for the road. Can anyone out there enlighten me as to how this all works because at the moment it seems completely arbitrary and one man's decision. I actually got a body shop fella to look over the car (ie a second opinion) and he said he thought it could be repaired and had seen much worse as cat C (ie allowed to be repaired for road). Unfortunately this fella is not the insurer assessor. But I want to know if it is possible to challenge a cat B assessment? Has anyone done this before by getting a second opinion. Without a proper justification of cat B then how do you know if the assessment is reliable. I wrote to VOSA to ask for a definition of damage that is cat B but although they kindly wrote back tehre are no proper details forthcoming. They mentioned some engineers guidance "Code of Practise for the disposal of Motor Vehicle Salvage" but I cannot seem to get hold of a copy - does anyone have this for me?

By the way, the following link shows pictures of the damage...

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...ml#post6779769
Old 26 March 2007, 08:27 PM
DARKDESTROYER9
Scooby Regular

did the airbags go off?
if not that repair wouldnt be that expensive you would need minimum complete inner wing and flitch front pannel and bonnet
Old 27 March 2007, 09:50 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

the long and short ov it is no you carnt have the catagory changed
Old 27 March 2007, 01:26 PM
Cosmic37
Scooby Regular

Airbags did not go off and I did not suffer any damage either so maybe that means the impact was not major (or I am super-tough with faulty airbag system?).
Old 27 March 2007, 02:00 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm always at the salvage yard and have seen much worse Cat C's. Most of the owners of these yards say that the examiners take a few backhanders here and there, to influence the decision, as some people prefer for their cars to be written off, never to see the road again. But it your case, its probably just some ********, having a bad day.
Old 30 March 2007, 11:52 AM
Andywriter
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 34srm
the long and short ov it is no you carnt have the catagory changed
Incorrect.

Yes, you can. Speak to your insurers and they'll let you know their process, often involves you getting a second independant engineer to assess the vehicle.

Sure theres no structural damage, to the chassis or anything?