Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wife's car hit from behind

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2007, 10:05 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default wife's car hit from behind

My wife's car was hit from behind in Sainsbury's car park the other day.

We've reported it to the insurers etc and gave them all details of the other driver etc. The other driver just gave me a call and told me he wants to settle the claim outside of insurance.

As we've already reported the incident to the insurance company, will we still have to declare the accident at renewal time (and hence face a hike in insurance costs), or can we just not claim and not face a hike?

The reason I'm even entertaining the idea is that I find it unfair that we have to pay higher insurance costs for a couple of years just because another driver doesn't know how to park

If I still have to declare the incident I'm just going to let him know that we want to settle through insurance, but I'd like to avoid the cost if possible (then again, he might not want to settle outside of insurance when he sees how much a main dealer bumper + fix-up is...)
Old 19 February 2007, 10:26 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made a claim which i later withdrew as i wasnt happy with the 50/50 decision from the insurance company, i was told that i would still have to declare that you started the claim, the insurance company also informed me that they could close the claim incase the other party made a claim aswell.
Old 19 February 2007, 10:27 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

ps. if hes looking to settle away from insurers then hes obviousley either not got any insurance or hes had alot of crashes before in which case you should definatley continue with the insurance claim to get the idiot of the roads!!
Old 19 February 2007, 11:42 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

if the person admits liability it will not effect your insurance as you will be claiming on his insurance and they will pay out and you get your car repaired. similar happend to me over a year ago, because it was his fault and they admitted liability and i was t,p,f,t it was his insurance who paid thats why you have insurance to cover the unfortunate.
Old 20 February 2007, 12:23 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

so are you saying some guy did ya wife from behind, then he rang you to tell you, quality

sorry couldnt resist
Old 20 February 2007, 11:29 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by 34srm
so are you saying some guy did ya wife from behind, then he rang you to tell you, quality

sorry couldnt resist
LOL
Old 20 February 2007, 11:30 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by gaz-cole
if the person admits liability it will not effect your insurance as you will be claiming on his insurance and they will pay out and you get your car repaired. similar happend to me over a year ago, because it was his fault and they admitted liability and i was t,p,f,t it was his insurance who paid thats why you have insurance to cover the unfortunate.
Cool, so it may not end up costing the earth then, hopefully
Old 20 February 2007, 11:34 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

As gaz says it shouldn't affect you at all.

Just make sure you declare it when getting quotes in future, as insurers do check
Old 20 February 2007, 02:10 PM
fabiavrs
Scooby Regular

Let your insurance company know most will give you advice on how to go about settling outside the insurance, after all it saves them money.

IMHO I have only be successful in doing this once, and this was due to the woman would lose her insurance altogether if she made a claim. The damage was £580 for the insurance which she paid in full within the week.

Get an estimate, agree that the work has to be done at a garage of YOUR choice not his/hers uncle that can fix it for £50!