Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Scooby - looking for insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2007, 01:59 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Scooby - looking for insurance.

Hi folks,

Thought, I'd sign up and pick the brains of all you seasoned Scooby owners!

Anyway, I'm looking to buy my first ever Scooby and have got my eyes on a potential purchase. Obviously before buying the car I wanted to make sure I could 1) Get insurance 2) Afford it.

Bit of background...
35, no convictions (motoring or otherwise), and 0 NCB (yes that's zero)!
The reason for having zilch in the NCB department is that for the last 14 years or so I've been a named driver on the other half's motability block policy.. claim free. Unfortunately like most block policies this doesn't accrue NCB!

So onto my potential purchase... it's a bog standard (no mods apparently) 1999 V plated Impreza 2000 UK model , below to average mileage value somewhere short of £6K, and HPI clear.

I've tried all the usual suspects and quotes fluctuate wildly, I tried confused.com which did return a few possibles. So I called one of them today.

The company, Quote-A-Car or quotea.. has given me a quote of £780 fully comp, on the proviso that I can prove I have been on the above block policy for at least 6 years, and that they either receive a copy of the Thatcham approval certificate or at least a dealership attestation that the security is Cat1 (as they have stated).

Does this sound reasonable? Any dealings with this company? Any improvements anywhere? Better deals?

The only downside to the above is proving I've been on the block policy for the amount of time required. We got a new car about 13 months ago and the certificate only relates to that. The previous certificates are long since shredded. Im not sure how helpful Royal Sun Alliance will be providing a letter stating my inclusion on the policy for the required timeframe, when all i'm gonna do is bugger off to another insurance company with said letter an take out a policy with them!

Anyway, I hope I can get the insurance side of things sorted.. and if i do i'll be back probably picking your brains for info more specific to the motor!

Cheers!
Old 20 January 2007, 02:28 AM
JAKbauer24
Former Sponsor

try A-PLAN mate there the cheapest for me and supply a good service
Old 20 January 2007, 02:29 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Best deals for Scoobs tend to be from A-Plan, Greenlight, Bell Direct and Keith Michaels. It's worth phoning them and mentioning your NCD situation as some may take into account your claim free driving history and mirror the NCD on your new policy. Moley_WRX on here works for Keith Michaels and so would be a good place to start, but he is very busy and can be difficult to get hold of. Many of these insurers aren't too bothered about mods either (I was with A-Plan and had an 03 WRX PPP with many chassis/suspension mods and paid less than 600 for 37yo, 17yr NCD, 0pts, Leeds postcode) so once you get your new toy you might be able to make it better without worrying about hidden expense later.
Old 20 January 2007, 02:44 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the tips guys..

I've just filled in the A-Plan online quote request, mentioned about my NCD situation so i guess I'll have to wait and see where that leads..

Looked at Greenlight, but their online forms states a minimum 1 year NCD so I didn't bother filling it in.

Bell Direct came up on confused.com IIRC, and I don't think it came off too well... might be mistaken I've looked at that many!
Old 20 January 2007, 03:00 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Speak to them, don't rely on online quotes. A person can do something about your personal circumstances where the "compooter says no"
Old 21 January 2007, 05:07 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Ring me on Tuesday (Gary @ Keith Michaels) and i will probably be able to help you.

0208 6427868 (Gary Moulson)
Old 21 January 2007, 06:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Speak of the Devil
Old 21 January 2007, 11:28 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately, arrived at the place selling the motor... only to find someone had nipped in there first on bought it from under me

So now, i'm back on the lookout for that elusive "just right" motor.. so it looks like i won't be needing the insurance in as much as a hurry as I thought!

Thanks for the details Gary, when I've found the car I'll give you a bell if that's ok? unless you can give me a ball park without the specific vehicle?
Old 23 January 2007, 03:37 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Wow... spoke to Gary today, and all I can say is why isn't getting a quote that easy everywhere else!? Quick and easy and provided the quote stands when I get my mitts on the motor (I'm not doubting that it will considering the feedback on these boards) a great price too!!
Old 24 January 2007, 12:01 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Glad you're sorted
Old 10 February 2007, 01:28 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Well on from the previous recommendations here's yet another recommendation for Gary's top notch services (that's insurance services btw!).

He beat all other quotes hands down, no problems arranging insurance despite my circumstances, PPP.. no problem!

Quick, efficient and extremely competative... what more can I say!