Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could my girlfreind be the answer to my problem.

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2006, 07:40 PM
donny_daz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could my girlfreind be the answer to my problem.

HI guys, due to a crash last year my chance of impreza insurance has gone ( full no claims down to 2). My idea is to put a uk impreza turbo in my girlfreinds name and me insure her 1.1 saxo. Do many people do this ?

Im 23 with 2 years insurance and she is 22 with 4 years totally clean license.Im wanting third party fire and theft cover on a uk turbo worth around £3500 with me as a named driver, any roughestimates?

Thanx
Old 20 October 2006, 08:47 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I do is insure my banger fully comp through CIS(not the cheapest out there), this gives me cover to drive any other car not in my name 3rd party only. I then get dad to insure my scoob fully comp in his name. I pay £500 on the banger, he pays £230 for the scoob. Scoob is then covered for theft and I'm covered to drive it, way I think of it is that if I crash it then I've been driving like a plonker any way and I deserve to pay for it. Done this for 2 years (now 22 was 20 when I bought impreza) and probably saved almost as much as the car is worth. I think I had a quote for £1800 3rd party on it when I was 20. It still has not dropped under £1200 even after 2 more years.
Old 22 October 2006, 06:26 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If that is how you choose to insure your Scoob i hope the insurance company in question don't come on here
If you are the main driver of a car, you have to be insured as such!!!!
Old 22 October 2006, 07:38 PM
irons
Scooby Newbie

true but how are they going to know he's the main driver?? i pay £1700 for mine fully comp with 6 points..age 25 and its all in my own name so not to bad
Old 23 October 2006, 11:50 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by irons
true but how are they going to know he's the main driver?
They have ways
Old 23 October 2006, 12:42 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

& we wonder why our premiums are so high.
Old 23 October 2006, 01:43 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brun
If that is how you choose to insure your Scoob i hope the insurance company in question don't come on here
Old 23 October 2006, 02:30 PM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

Although the car would be insured fully comp by `main driver`and hence covered for theft , would there be a case for the car not being covered for theft whilst it was being driven on the other persons insurance third party only.

The main driver would be giving consent for the car to be used by the other driver with only 3rd party cover in place, so during this time would his fully comp cover not be in place, hence no theft cover?
Old 23 October 2006, 02:42 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Not for much longer, this driveing other cars that you dont own third party on your own insurance is being phased out by the insurance co's because of people like you who take the **** and this spoils it for people who occasionally need to drive there partners car etc and soon wont be able too.
Old 23 October 2006, 10:25 PM
Onan The Barbarian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're running a real risk if you're the main driver. Insurance companies are pretty thorough when it comes to checking out who's been driving the thing
Old 24 October 2006, 02:07 AM
agent003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1 Ant
Not for much longer, this driveing other cars that you dont own third party on your own insurance is being phased out by the insurance co's because of people like you who take the **** and this spoils it for people who occasionally need to drive there partners car etc and soon wont be able too.
Some insurance companys restrict this feature to over 25's and so it should be with all of them.

None the less this is the loophole on the system.....providing you keep the banger all legal and declare your accidents etc on that i cant see the problem other than not the moral thing to do.

If he is going to be insured in case of an accident ie. someone gets hurt etc than thats good enough for me.

To say that they have ways etc sounds like a bit of x-files story to me.

If there is a gap to be exploited then people will do so... dont blame it on the individual..blame it on the system!

On the point of driving your partners car (that you probably would do on a more regular basis) you should have your name down on it anyway!!

I am in no way trying to incetivate such "illegal" actions and in my opinion if anyone needs advice from a forum in order to do such activies is just out of their rocker

WBR
Old 24 October 2006, 08:41 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by agent003
i cant see the problem other than not the moral thing to do.

Do insurance companies have 'morals' ????

I'm not condoning the case above, but it seems to me that the insuance companies shaft everyone else enough and that they should expect some back (especially with the way they deal with you when you make a legitimate claim ) !!!
Old 24 October 2006, 09:56 AM
Adz Turbo
Scooby Regular

Ive just re-newed my insurance and i was getting quotes of over 2 grand and even 6!

Yeah ok ive not got the best record! An accident in 2003,(Not my fault) a ban in 2003, and an accident in 2006 (My fault) and ive got in for £1500 so im not overly bothered with that. O yeah and im 23.

Adz
Old 24 October 2006, 10:01 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

worth getting quotes mate, try back with your old insurance company, i got money off cos of remaining insurance when i smashed my scoob so it cost me less than if i hadn't had it (for the first year anyway).

i'm now 24 and got a reasonably mod'd uk turbo (running more power and uprated suspension) and insurance cost me less than £900, thanks to moley