Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Point to Declair

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2006, 11:31 AM
Rave Dave D
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Point to Declair

i heard that after having your points for 3 years you dont have to declair them to the insurance. and after 4 years they come off. most sites ive been on for a quote ask for any convictions in the last 5 years.

my question is what happens if you dont declair them and have a claim. can the insurance tell you to stick a spike up your **** or what!?!

Cheers Rave Dave.
Old 07 May 2006, 12:49 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Its to do with rehabilitation of offenders act. Legally you must declare them for 5 years, and yes, it would give an insurer legitimate excuse to back out of a claim.
Old 07 May 2006, 02:35 PM
osterley
Scooby Regular

The 5 year thing from Insurance companies is a bit odd
You can have points removed from the DVLA system after 4 years and the record is effectively wiped from the system if someone does a background check with the DVLA on your license - I know I used to have a very bad license with a number of bans!

So if I had a speeding offence 4 years ago and it came off the license (i.e. I had it removed) then there is no way I would declare it - although its in breach of the insurance policy

The only thing that I dont know is how good the Insurance companies databases are - I dont think they are up to much - for instance if I had declared the offence to another insurance company and they had on record that I had an offence 4 years ago and I moved to another insurance company, had a claim and did not declare the offence - are they sophisticated enough to do a trawl back - or is there some national database on this - I do not think so for these sort of issues

For actual claims there is a database - but not to lodge what you've previously given as points to insurance companies
Old 07 May 2006, 03:11 PM
Rave Dave D
Scooby Newbie

thanks to the both of you. i have a copy of my licance that has points and a clean copy but i havnt actually applied to the dvla to ask for tham off so i think im going to empty the wallet unless anybody else can convince me otherwise.

Rave Dave
Old 07 May 2006, 10:21 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Dave

Be on the safe side, the difference in premiums is likely to be nil or negligible.

Peace of mind comes at a cost!
Old 08 May 2006, 12:37 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Gutted i could have been clean for the first time since 1997 but now i got another year of explaining to do, i thought it was all over after 4....
Old 08 May 2006, 07:55 AM
Rave Dave D
Scooby Newbie

the differance is £110. but i have just fuked off elephant for being ****. changing the year i bought the car from later 2005 to early 2006 put the premium up £55 and changing driving years from 5 to 4 years and 9 months put it up a further £130.

does anybody know why this make ANY ****** differance please. im startin to get annoyed!