Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insuring a young driver

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2005, 09:55 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insuring a young driver

Guys, my little lad has finally decided to get his act together and learn to drive. I have a few options for insuring him, including either putting him on my works policy or he could drive on my traders policy, but, tbh, I'm not sure I want to (or can afford to) **** either policy up.

Preferred method is to get him on his own policy, but cost is proving excessive (although I did expect it to be). Considering the car is worth about £300 (1 litre corsa), £3000 to insure him seems a little daft.

I just ran the same quote using the wife as the lead driver and him as a named driver, and the quote came back at £290. I am able to use her previous no claims bonus which probs helped this lots, but am I going to have probs with a claim if it were determined he is the 'main' driver rather than her?

The car can be registered in her name, and she doesn't have any other insurance in her name, but I don't know too much about all this insurance stuff these days...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys / girls,
Simon
Old 26 September 2005, 07:14 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Have you tried insuring the car in your son's name and adding you/your wife as named drivers? This usually knocks a hefty amount off the price, as daft as it sounds.
Old 26 September 2005, 07:25 AM
maclean2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
Have you tried insuring the car in your son's name and adding you/your wife as named drivers? This usually knocks a hefty amount off the price, as daft as it sounds.
Hi - yes the above is a sound idea.

Try www.dna-insurance.com.

Ring them and ask them about pass plus scheme and the big insurance discounts available.My nephew in a similar situation insured a Punto for about £1000.Pass plus involves 6 extra lessons coveringnight/motorway/bad weather driving.

Alasdair