Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insuring a 52 reg STi @ 22years old....... fun?

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2005, 09:45 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insuring a 52 reg STi @ 22years old....... fun?

Hey all,

Just trying to sort out my insurance, although i havent purchased my scoob yet im doing the insurance rounds.
My existing insurance company will insure me on my cossie but say i have to be 25 to insure an impreza............... bizare?

So far ive only found one insurance company that will touch me and they want £1790!!

Is there anyone else you recomend i go to?

Cheers
Old 19 September 2005, 10:11 AM
richee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds about right mate im 29 and that is what i got quoted. how many no claims u got.
Old 19 September 2005, 10:34 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Actually this is in my mothers name,
i have a little fiesta 1.1 that i use for work that i insure that builds up my no claims and keeps the fuel bill reasonable.

I did the same with the cossie. The problem i had was finding people who will insure me as a named driver at the age of 22.

The car would be a social use only with a restricted milage to 4K a year.
Old 19 September 2005, 11:04 AM
spark666
Scooby Regular

Have you tried Adrian Flux?
Old 19 September 2005, 03:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by frayz
Actually this is in my mothers name,
i have a little fiesta 1.1 that i use for work that i insure that builds up my no claims and keeps the fuel bill reasonable.

I did the same with the cossie. The problem i had was finding people who will insure me as a named driver at the age of 22.

The car would be a social use only with a restricted milage to 4K a year.
Mate, I hate to rain on your parade but getting insured as a named driver on a car that you will -in point of fact- be the main driver of is illegal. If the insurance companies find out they will cancel your policy, refuse to pay out any claims and may well report you to the authorities for driving without valid insurance.

There are companies that will insure YOU on an STi if you have a few years NCB on your Fiesta.

Don't try and cheat the insurance companies, they aren't silly and it'll most likely end in tears.

NS04
Old 19 September 2005, 03:34 PM
PAUL CRAFTS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spark666
Have you tried Adrian Flux?
TRY LYODS-BLACK HORSE
Old 19 September 2005, 05:59 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

i can assure you it's not illegal to insure a car in mom/dad's name it's only dodgy if you state that you are not the main user of the vehicle and/or you register the vehicle in your name rather than the policyholder's.

that aside send me a pm if you want a quote for this (i work at a broker's)
Old 19 September 2005, 07:47 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

£750 on an 05 WRX PPP with Admiral
Old 20 September 2005, 04:16 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

seeing as she will probably also be driving it, i dont see the problem and its only gonna be doing a top whack of 4K a year,

LUCKO will get a quote from you as soon as i know exactly which model im gonna buy... cheers

got a quote from diamond for £1295 earlier so things are getting brighter lol
Old 20 September 2005, 01:55 PM
Adz Turbo
Scooby Regular

LUCKO

In a few weeks if i send you all my details would you be able to get me a quote please?
Old 20 September 2005, 03:34 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

yes no problem, send me pm when your ready

Richard
Old 21 September 2005, 12:08 PM
xkellyx
Scooby Regular

what bout me lol
Old 21 September 2005, 12:18 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by xkellyx
what bout me lol
pm me when you want a quote, cheers
Old 21 September 2005, 12:40 PM
New_scooby_04

You're telling me that if the scooby gets damaged and the named drivers are a 40 something lady or man (main driver) and a 22 year old (named driver) the insurance company aren't going to bail claiming that you've lied about the main driver????

Give me a break I've heard about it done many times before.

Like i said before, policies are based on absoute disclosure! Give them reason to doubt that this hasn't been forthcoming and they WILL bail on you.

There are lots of brokers who'll get you on the road legally, but you have to ask yourself "what if" Can you afford to foot the bill if you have an accident and the insurance company bails out?? They want your money, they DO NOT want to pay out!

If you're young and you want a Scooby, you're going to have to pay through the nose for comprehensive insurance and rightly so and thats coming from a young scooby driver (who's first premium was over 2k).

NS04
Old 21 September 2005, 12:52 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I know of a 26 year old who insured a Skyline GTR in his dads name and had a claim. When the insurers looked at all his paperwork the reciepts of work done (mods and maintenance) they saw it was all in the sons name, so refused pay out. Lost a £15k Skyline.
Ironically i could have insured it for him in his own name for an extra £200, but he went elsewhere as i refused to quote it in his dads name, and he thought the cheaper policy was a bargain!!!!!!!
Old 21 September 2005, 01:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I know of a 26 year old who insured a Skyline GTR in his dads name and had a claim. When the insurers looked at all his paperwork the reciepts of work done (mods and maintenance) they saw it was all in the sons name, so refused pay out. Lost a £15k Skyline.
Ironically i could have insured it for him in his own name for an extra £200, but he went elsewhere as i refused to quote it in his dads name, and he thought the cheaper policy was a bargain!!!!!!!
And Moley_WRX knows what he's talking about as he's sorted out many of us young un's with policies in our own names for a VERY good price. He's also a young WRX driver.

To anyone thinking of taking the named driver route, I say:

Insuring a Scooby is gonna hurt. Deal with it. Pay up like the rest of us, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about!

NS04
Old 21 September 2005, 01:38 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

never had one come back yet!, we only insure parent & child policies if the vehicle is registered in parent's name (copy log book required) and that young driver is down as main user at inception (big load for this) the only problem i could see is if finance is on the car in young driver's name and we would then turn it down. with regards to that skyline there's probably more too it than what you have said
Old 21 September 2005, 01:55 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by LUCKO
never had one come back yet!, we only insure parent & child policies if the vehicle is registered in parent's name (copy log book required) and that young driver is down as main user at inception (big load for this) the only problem i could see is if finance is on the car in young driver's name and we would then turn it down. with regards to that skyline there's probably more too it than what you have said
I can quote for policies in the parents name with the son/daughter on there as a named driver, but i choose not to as i know exactly who the main user of the car will be 99% of the time, and i consider this as a form of fraud....as do the underwriters i refer a lot of business to!!!!!

As for the Skyline....all i know is what the client told me, as he was insured with another company at the time!!!!!
Old 21 September 2005, 02:08 PM
New_scooby_04

I can quote for policies in the parents name with the son/daughter on there as a named driver, but i choose not to as i know exactly who the main user of the car will be 99% of the time, and i consider this as a form of fraud....as do the underwriters i refer a lot of business to!!!!!

As for the Skyline....all i know is what the client told me, as he was insured with another company at the time!!!!!
Agree completely.

It's definately misrepresentation and exactly the kind of lack of/false disclosure that an insurance company would be justified in refusing to pay up for. Risk calculations are inextricably tied to who will be using the car for what proportion of the time. A 40 year old with good NCB is a significantly less risky (i.e. read expesnive) proposition than a 22 year old. If you obtiain a quote indicating the 40 year old as a main driver when -in point of fact- it's the 22 year old, you have fraudulently obtained a favourable deal and the quote no longer reflects the circumstances.

As more and more older Impreza's are falling into younger hands and inevitably claims start to increase, you can expect the underwriters to become increasingly suspicious when investigating claims.

At the end of the day if you want a performance car you have to face up to the fact that you -rightly- have to pay more for the insurance. Yes, it is harder on the youngsters, but then again if they stoped ending up in a ditch so often the quotes would go down.

Its also much better for someone to accumulate their own NCB (even if it means getting shafted for the first year or two) than emerge from their parent's policy at 25 with 0 NCB.

NS04
Old 27 September 2005, 10:00 AM
Adz Turbo
Scooby Regular

I had my own from day one and got the NCB and i think thats why i managed to get insured on my scooby at 21 with a ban! (Only paid the difference from my other car to the scooby at the moment and the re-newal is middle of October)
Old 27 September 2005, 10:11 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Agree completely.

It's definately misrepresentation and exactly the kind of lack of/false disclosure that an insurance company would be justified in refusing to pay up for. Risk calculations are inextricably tied to who will be using the car for what proportion of the time. A 40 year old with good NCB is a significantly less risky (i.e. read expesnive) proposition than a 22 year old. If you obtiain a quote indicating the 40 year old as a main driver when -in point of fact- it's the 22 year old, you have fraudulently obtained a favourable deal and the quote no longer reflects the circumstances.

As more and more older Impreza's are falling into younger hands and inevitably claims start to increase, you can expect the underwriters to become increasingly suspicious when investigating claims.

At the end of the day if you want a performance car you have to face up to the fact that you -rightly- have to pay more for the insurance. Yes, it is harder on the youngsters, but then again if they stoped ending up in a ditch so often the quotes would go down.

Its also much better for someone to accumulate their own NCB (even if it means getting shafted for the first year or two) than emerge from their parent's policy at 25 with 0 NCB.

NS04
I agree totally, that's why i'm paying £2800 @ 21...but I know that i'm legal
Old 01 October 2005, 12:06 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Default Respect to Moley

We adopt exactly the same approach Moley.

Young drivers being covered in their parents name as a "way round" is a definite no with Greenlight.

After a few poinient questions it's usually pretty obvious who's vehicle it is and we always look to cover the vehicle in the younger driver's name at the correct rate (without allowance of parental NCB)

Sadly, there are a number of companies that dont adopt this approach and the underpricing of young drivers policies continues.

Most Insurers are reasonably astute these days and rate upon the younger driver. What they do still miss though is that the parent has earned the NCB and the young driver may have zero or minimal experience, or not even held a license long enough to have earned that level of bonus in their own right.

They may load for the young driver, but they still allow the parents bonus - which doesn't make much sense to me.

This is fairly prolific upon the internet with the direct writers, but we will certainly never adopt this process.

There..... thats off my chest.

Keep up the good work Moley!

Kind regards

Tony
Old 01 October 2005, 12:10 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up Nice one Matt

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
I agree totally, that's why i'm paying £2800 @ 21...but I know that i'm legal
Top bloke - matt

I'm sure Moley or I will do our uppermost to help you come renewal buddy, especially with the driving experience of already having a Scooby.

Kind regards

Tony
Old 04 October 2005, 10:52 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

I used to insure my cosworth with another broker but they now dont want to know cos im not 25.

The subaru IS registered in my mothers name, she WILL be driving it. I have my own car that i use daily to and from work, ive been driving for 4 years but i only have 1 years NCB due to starting my own policy late.

The subaru would be for weekends and shows only and would be restricted to only 4000 miles per year. Its 100% standard and having just spent nearly 14K of my OWN cash buying it, im really not intereseted in crashing it thanks very much.

Insurance companies dont care about this or that im a genuine car enthusiast, its a crime to have anythin nice in this country!!!

LUCKO you got PM mate

Thanks
Old 04 October 2005, 11:24 AM
Moley
Sponsor

I used to insure my cosworth with another broker but they now dont want to know cos im not 25.

The subaru IS registered in my mothers name, she WILL be driving it. I have my own car that i use daily to and from work, ive been driving for 4 years but i only have 1 years NCB due to starting my own policy late.

The subaru would be for weekends and shows only and would be restricted to only 4000 miles per year. Its 100% standard and having just spent nearly 14K of my OWN cash buying it, im really not intereseted in crashing it thanks very much.

Insurance companies dont care about this or that im a genuine car enthusiast, its a crime to have anythin nice in this country!!!

LUCKO you got PM mate

Thanks
It isn't just you crashing it that is the problem, there is a massive risk from theft aswell.

Also none of us buy cars planning to crash them, but accidents do happen!!!!!!

Have you tried Keith Michaels or Greenlight for a quote? If you have good experience on performance cars it may be possible to get a half decent quote.
Old 04 October 2005, 11:26 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Well im just waiting for some brokers to get back to me at the mo.

I live in a small village in the middle of essex, and Tbh i know where your coming from regarding theft but i must have one of the best post codes ever lol.

The cows and sheep hopefully wont nick my scoob lol!!
Old 04 October 2005, 12:04 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Well im just waiting for some brokers to get back to me at the mo.

I live in a small village in the middle of essex, and Tbh i know where your coming from regarding theft but i must have one of the best post codes ever lol.

The cows and sheep hopefully wont nick my scoob lol!!
Dealt with a claim recently where a cow apparently jumped onto the bonnet of a car!!!! (would love to have seen that!!!)

Obvioulsy didn't moooove out the way in time!!!! :-)
Old 04 October 2005, 12:33 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Dealt with a claim recently where a cow apparently jumped onto the bonnet of a car!!!! (would love to have seen that!!!)

Obvioulsy didn't moooove out the way in time!!!! :-)
Oh dear lol

that was one of those bad jokes that dad tells at christmas

ha ha ha
Old 04 October 2005, 01:08 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Oh dear lol

that was one of those bad jokes that dad tells at christmas

ha ha ha
Lucky it wasn't a sheep, could have been a baaaaad accident!!!

(sorry...no more awful jokes from now on!!!)
Old 04 October 2005, 01:19 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Okay lads.................

take him away :P

Quick Reply: Insuring a 52 reg STi @ 22years old....... fun?