Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesco & Trackers

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2001, 08:21 PM
evo5uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kust received my renewal today & Tesco's now want me to install a tracker!!!! Anyone else had this problem?
Old 10 September 2001, 09:42 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep, its been standard with then for a while now.
Old 10 September 2001, 11:46 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
funny that,
i asked them for a quote only this afternoon and the person i spoke said it wasnt needed (it was the first question i asked, to save time, having seen on here that they were requesting 'Tracker').
is yours just a standard uk car ?
if your interested 'whatcar insurance' were £70 cheaper (for me)
alan

[This message has been edited by albob (edited 10 September 2001).]
Old 11 September 2001, 01:36 PM
Secret Squirrel
Scooby Regular

When I got my quote from Tesco yesterday I was told that they didn't specifically ask 'got a tracker?' because they'd only cover vehicles with one anyway. Current insurer Eagle Star - up to now competetive - required a tracker too. Best quote I've had was from Frizzells as a CSMA member. Always worth checking what discounts are available if you've certain employers, BT, Post Office etc or through car club memberships
Old 11 September 2001, 08:48 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Got a quote from Tescos last week on a MY01 and it did not require a tracker. Asked the guy a couple of time and he could not believe it did not require one!
Old 12 September 2001, 12:58 PM
Toonman
Scooby Regular

Angry

I was told when I got the quote, that they required a Tracker (or similar) and proof it was fitted and active. I duly faxed the info over and received a letter saying my car cover was now 100% - until they'd processed the Tracker "proof", it seems the car wasn't covered for theft (for about 10 days!). That wasn't mentioned when I took the cover out...

3 weeks into the cover, I got another letter saying the car wasn't covered for theft (again), as I'd not proved it had the required security. When I rang, they accepted I'd proved the Tracker was there, but I'd not sent them details of a Thatcham approved alarm and immobliser. I only have the standard one and no alarm (useless anyway). Tesco then said they'd cancel cover. I pointed out that at no time was I told they required Tracker and alarm and immobiliser! The basically said, "Tough". It was only when I pointed out I had a letter saying all was okay, that they said they'd keep the cover for the year, but not after that.

Next thing I had hassle getting them to acknowledge my max no claims bonus, despite sending the renewal details where it was clearly shown.

6 weeks on, I now have full and active car insurance. Use them again? No way! Tesco are good for the simple things like bread etc, but I'll use a proper car insurance company next time...
Old 12 September 2001, 09:44 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Toonman:
<B>I was told when I got the quote, that they required a Tracker (or similar) and proof it was fitted and active. I duly faxed the info over and received a letter saying my car cover was now 100% - until they'd processed the Tracker "proof", it seems the car wasn't covered for theft (for about 10 days!). That wasn't mentioned when I took the cover out...

3 weeks into the cover, I got another letter saying the car wasn't covered for theft (again), as I'd not proved it had the required security. When I rang, they accepted I'd proved the Tracker was there, but I'd not sent them details of a Thatcham approved alarm and immobliser. I only have the standard one and no alarm (useless anyway). Tesco then said they'd cancel cover. I pointed out that at no time was I told they required Tracker and alarm and immobiliser! The basically said, "Tough". [/quote]

Oddly enough, exactly the same thing happened with a friend of mine and Direct line, he ended up getting a full refund and going to tescos for the insurance, with the money he save he had a navtrak fitted and hey presto everyone happy!

Strange old world!

Jon

Old 16 September 2001, 10:09 AM
sqwint
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I insured my UK suburu through Greenlight Insurance in Brentwood UK. They have a deal with the SIDC and I saved a fortune. No trackers required just a cat 1 alarm. They do have a problem with Jap spec at the moment though.
Old 17 September 2001, 06:41 PM
Gary A
Scooby Regular

Directline now want a tracker on my UK300
Old 14 October 2001, 06:02 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Priviledge have told me to fit a tracker three months after taking out the policy and if i dont they wont cover me for theft what a joke.
Old 15 October 2001, 11:28 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

this is worrying as i got my car on the 12/10/01 and tescos didnt require a tracker,maybe because i carried over my policy from old car and paid the extra,but will they ask for one on renewal??

probably
Old 16 October 2001, 08:50 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

mbc,

I did the same as you went from a 205 1.9 Gti to a MY99 Uk impreza and they insisted on a tracker. The documents state that my theft insurance is negated unless I provide proof I have one fitted. Just me but I'd check with them just in case. Better safe than sorry as they say.

Guy
Old 16 October 2001, 08:36 PM
Spoons
Scooby Newbie

Strange, I just got a quote from Tesco for a new WRX with Prodrive performance pack.

32YO, 3 points, no claims last 5 years, inc business use £743

I specifically asked about trackers and the guy said definately not a requirement. They did'nt ask about the alarm either.

Frankly I am both amazed and impressed!
Old 18 October 2001, 01:37 AM
Riclaw
Scooby Newbie

Same story with me. Traveled 200 miles purchased the car, took the insurance out with Direct Line who for me came up trumps, got the paper work through the following week, and hey presto they required a tracker (opposite to phone conversation) I rang and complained, they said i could have two weeks cover theft protected and in that time i'd need a tracker fitting or find different cover! I rang Tesco who said they'd cover me with a Tracker fitted for £60 less than Direct Line (explaining they used Direct Line to under write there quotes, but can beat them due to food subsadies) so I waited untill the end of 2 weeks free cover from direct line and insured with Tesco the £120 in total I saved (2 weeks + £60 saving) I put towards the Tracker. Who want a Tracker anyway? cos if my scooby goes, i dont want it back. How many twoc'ers (scum) treat your car with respect & wait for the engine to warm b4 applying large revs! just give me the chq please
Old 18 October 2001, 07:05 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Strange, I just got a quote from Tesco for a new WRX with Prodrive performance pack.

32YO, 3 points, no claims last 5 years, inc business use £743

I specifically asked about trackers and the guy said definately not a requirement. They did'nt ask about the alarm either.

Frankly I am both amazed and impressed!
Spoons,

i just got my policy from Tesco (MY01, PPP, Morrettes, 40-YO, business use, 20K miles, no points, no personal NCD but 5 years company car "introductory discount") at GBP850 and no tracker required. It is good to see the details in black and white on the policy document, as my quotation was rather vague.

I am very impressed by Tesco so far - easily the best "direct" telephone manner and knowledge, and very clear documents for the policy.

mb

p.s. I fitted a tracker anyway, but it is nice to have the choice!
Old 18 October 2001, 11:23 PM
Riclaw
Scooby Newbie

Glad to hear that, maybe my age (23) but i don't see that making the car more pinchable. I did speak to people in fairly high positions both at Tesco & Direct line & was assured a Tracker was a must. Have been impressed with Tesco's customer relations so far but then i've not made any claims.
BELL DIRECT: A close family member had his car written off by some fool in a lorry (not knockin lorry drivers) back in march & he's still awaiting payment, he's not had anything from BELL DIRECT since april. They are in my opinion a waste of time & money!
Old 20 October 2001, 11:58 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

rang tescos and they confirmed no tracker needed on my my01
Old 21 October 2001, 01:00 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Sounds like they require a tracker for old shape but not for new shape then.