Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods & Insurance: NFU Mutual

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2001, 06:03 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm looking for an insurer who has an 'open' attitude to modifications. The NFU Mutual appear to be such a company.

Has anyone got NFU insurance on a modified car? If so what mod and how much loading?

Thanks.
Old 24 April 2001, 09:01 PM
seight
Scooby Newbie

I tried to insure my car with NFU about 3 weeks ago.

34 with 4 years NCB clean license decent post code etc.

MY00 17" wheels, Prodive Spoiler and ScoobySport backbox.

Nothing to extreme but they said they were taking no new customers with modified cars.

I would be interested to know how you get on if you approach them.
Old 27 April 2001, 02:35 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Red face

I've gone with the NFU anyway. They definitely will consider mods and are OK about insuring my non-grey import.

However I didn't mention that I'm not referring to an Impreza

After writing-off my UK turbo last year, and seeing that the new WRX is the ugliest car since the dawn of time, I'm now getting an Audi S4.

Maybe NFU are just being anti-Scooby???
Old 27 April 2001, 10:37 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

I'm still waiting for NFU to call me back about the minor mods (Seats, Wheels, Brakes) but their basic price was one of the cheapest I got, shame they have not called me back yet after 2 days wait.

Stuart

Old 29 April 2001, 09:27 AM
Andy Hamp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I spoke to NFU last week about adding a SS back box to my MY01.

They wanted £136 (10 months to run on my policy) ! To be fair they said that their policy is now to up a modified Impreza by one group. As the MY01 is a 19b this takes it up to 20b and Ferrari territory !

To be fair I’d be pretty much allowed to make any modification I’d like for that. They confirmed that I could do a PPP conversion and fit the ScoobySport Leda suspension for that premium. Which for all that is not unreasonable, but for a £260 back box is damned unreasonable.

Now just how long is going to be before the MY01 PPP is available and I’ve got enough money to pay for it

Andy

MY01 in a Semi rural location – 35, full no claims, no points, no fault accidents and paying over £850. (This has to be hurting Subaru’s sales).
Old 30 April 2001, 01:26 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Question

I thought that the MY00 was group 17? So the MY01 has been put up two groups.

I always thought that premiums for the Impreza were higher than the group implied.

Anyway that does sound good news - they do seem to be open to mods, unlike Churchill!

If it makes you feel better I am in a low-risk area, but have 3 points and only 2 years NCD. Insurance for the S4 will be a tad under £2K and the third-party only for my 10-year old Nissan Sunny is nearly £600!

Still, after getting around £23K back after writing off my Scoob I suppose I'm getting my money's worth of premiums!
Old 30 April 2001, 02:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Dippy,
You spoken to Rum* (Tom @ Schofields)

He might be able to help you out. He's insured my WRX Wagon, and rather reasonable as well, so he may be able to help him out. email me (markus@sidc.co.uk) if you need contact info.
Old 30 April 2001, 06:58 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Thumbs down

Spoke to NFU today, was told that they are not accepting any new customers with modified Imprezas. If you are a current NFU customer then they will accept modifications.

I told the girl that the Scooby community was under the impression that they were a mod friendly company and came highly recommended, and she actually went back and asked the underwriters again and told them this, but they still said no.

She actually asked me if I had any documentation stating that the Scoob community thought that they were mod friendly that I could fax through to her, so that she try to get the companny policy changed.

Oh well, looks like Adrian Flux for me !!!, scratch that...looks like RAC for me another £130 cheaper, see my other post at
Old 30 April 2001, 07:03 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

just renewed my 97my, uk car, stainless decat exhaust 7 years ncb 25 y.old no falt accidents (one claim just over 3 years ago) cat 2 imobiliser garaged ca3 postcode £660.
company called dovecrest in max power block on the phone very helpfull!!
Old 01 May 2001, 04:18 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

hi all,
just been on the phone to NFU , to see what loading they want to apply if i fit a scoobysport backbox, the additional premium to april 17 next year (just renewed)will be £151 and takes the car into insurance Group 18b, i asked about wheels and they said these are cosmetic and won't load the premium the same applies to spoilers etc.

ray t
Old 01 May 2001, 05:54 PM
LES H'
Scooby Regular

I'm with liverpool&victoria (Frizzell)
MY97uk turbo cheaper than bell direct by £250
I'v just asked about ss exhaust and quoted extra £26!! aslo got 16"gold alloys no problem.
Old 02 May 2001, 05:31 PM
MikeSmith012345
Scooby Newbie

Talking

If like me you have a scooby worthy of good insurance contact these guys. They are on 01277 263030. They seem to know what they were talking about. As my scooby is modified i try to confuse companies with the mods to see how good they are and if they know their stuff. These guys passed.
If you want a really good cover call them.

Mike

P.S. You can even get track day cover if you are with them so you don't have to worry about your baby when you are burning round the track.

Also try