Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified or not?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2000, 01:50 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Consider this scenario:

Looking for insurance on a Prodrive RB5. Insurance company can't find RB5 on list but has got std UK turbo. Treats RB5 as std car with modifications: Refuse to quote or £££.

Retry as std UK turbo with manufacturer's options. This is actually true. Quote is much less.

So when is a car considered modified? Strickly speaking any of the Prodrive work is Subaru UK approved and effectively Subaru UK supplied. A PPP is simply a dealer-fitted option. Why should it be declared any more than any other dealer-fitted accessory?
Old 24 August 2000, 02:00 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I had an insurance broker tell me the same thing. He found me a very cheap quote on my MY99 WR, but was dependent on mods being factory fit when new. Think he was exploiting same loophole as you are suggesting. Sadly, the mods were done after the car was run in, and broker advised me not to chance it - honest chap, cost him the business in the end, and he knew it would!
Chuck
Old 24 August 2000, 02:23 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Question

What is a PPP?

Dealer replaces ECU, rear exhaust and some pipework with fully manufacturer approved and supplied parts. These same parts can be supplied when new. So if its done 6 months down the line then what's the difference?

I'm going to follow this up 'cos we're victimised by insurance companies anyway.

Please would anyone whose had PPP from new tell me what has been documented on the invoice etc?
Old 24 August 2000, 02:25 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dippy,

I've got my RB5 Prodrive insured with Norwich Union Direct. They originally couldn't find the car on their "approved" list. However, after I explained it was a standard Subaru UK car, although special edition, with approved Subaru options fitted (given in full detail) they accepted the car and quoted just under £700 for full protected NCD, which was a damm site cheaper than those w*****s at Admiral quoted for my standard MY98

When the certificate came through the insured car was listed as: Impreza RB5 Prodrive, so they must have found it when searching a bit more thoroughly.

Yex

PS: Dippy, you got on just before I finished typing this. My car had it options fitted from new and has a certificate to prove the conversion has been carried out by Prodrive to Subaru factory standards, or something like that

[This message has been edited by Yex (edited 24 August 2000).]