Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident question?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2005, 01:04 AM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident question?

Has anyone ever got away with a claim when they ran into the back of someone? Either by saying they reversed, or the guy in front "slammed-on"?
I'm not going to do this by the way, just curious.
Old 19 January 2005, 01:25 AM
MonkeyJismTea
Scooby Regular

You can get away with it but you have to prove the other person braked without good reason, and its very hard to do
Old 19 January 2005, 08:51 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't help, but I knew someone (an ex-colleague) who got stiffed in the exact opposite: he had pulled up behind a taxi which had stopped in the road. The taxi reversed into him. The taxi driver then claimed that my colleague had driven into him, and got a taxi-driver mate to agree with this version! My colleague ended up with complete blame. So it can be done, but needs a good witness...

M
Old 19 January 2005, 09:57 AM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Cheers.
The only reason I'm asking is that a guy knocked into the back of me before christmas. He admitted he was sorry and said he'd pay for it. Then he said the estimate was too expensive and he wanted go through the insurance.
And now he's saying its my fault cos I cut straight accross him and braked too hard! Cheeky B@$tard. I feel like killing him.
It just looks like its gonna cost me my no claims and £500 excess at the moment.
Old 19 January 2005, 10:23 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

I'd go and have a quiet word with him (presuming you have his address)..!

Oh and don't forget to tell him about your witness whom you haven't mentioned till now as you thought it was a straight forward claim.. (I charge £200 p/h btw..!).

J
Old 19 January 2005, 10:25 AM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
Cheers.
The only reason I'm asking is that a guy knocked into the back of me before christmas. He admitted he was sorry and said he'd pay for it. Then he said the estimate was too expensive and he wanted go through the insurance.
And now he's saying its my fault cos I cut straight accross him and braked too hard! Cheeky B@$tard. I feel like killing him.
It just looks like its gonna cost me my no claims and £500 excess at the moment.

Just go through Your insurance, unless he has a very good independent witness I can't see how he's going to make it stick.

simb
Old 19 January 2005, 10:25 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Ive claimed when i went into the back of someone ...& won, really depends on other party & witness's ...& it was under the circumstances that the other guy is trying to use ...an outside lane hogger was doing 60 in a 70 ...while i was wondering whether to undertake him or pull out & flash him out the way, he just swerved infront of me whilst braking! ...turns out he didnt know i was there (blind spot) & that he had suddenly seen an 'advisory' sign of 40 & so had braked hard ...i had a witness in the car & the other party admitted liability after a heated debate over the speed limit for that section of road ...i won by pointing out that the big white sign with a black stripe above his head was an NSL sign!
Old 19 January 2005, 10:56 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
Cheers.
Report it through the insurance yourself. At the moment it's just an argument and he's making excuses. You've got a good case as he ran into the back of you, no matter how he tries to wriggle. Shouldn't cost you your excess but your renewal will go up anyway.

J.
Old 22 January 2005, 02:43 AM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the replies everyone.
I just dont see the logic behind some people. If i ran into the back of someone, i'd either pay the damage myself, or tell my insurance company its my fault. After all thats why im insured. But I certainly wouldb't lie for the sake of lying.
Never mind, I just hope I dont end-up losing out for someone else's mistake.