Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracker / Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2004, 09:11 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker / Insurance

Most insurance companies require a tracker system to be fitted to the car but in order for this to be fitted you have to buy the car and take it to a tracker dealer for this to be installed. How do you do this if your insurance company require the tracker to be fitted before you drive the car and before you are able to tax the car aswell.
Old 18 October 2004, 09:15 PM
si97
Scooby Regular

they should give you a couple of days grace. Ask the insurance company how to go about it. there not daft they know you cant do it before you buy it.

Last edited by si97; 18 October 2004 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 18 October 2004, 09:16 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could get a mobile fitter to fit it at the dealers before you collect the car
Old 18 October 2004, 09:19 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
you could get a mobile fitter to fit it at the dealers before you
collect the car
Will the dealer allow this as you wouldn't be the legal owner of the car into you pay the balance on collection of the car?
Old 18 October 2004, 09:22 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

An STI has the RAC trackstar as standard - although my insurance did not give a T0ss if it had one or not!!
strange people insurance!!
Old 18 October 2004, 09:24 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulhsti
An STI has the RAC trackstar as standard - although my insurance did not give a T0ss if it had one or not!!
Which is the better system, RAC trackstar or Tracker Monitor?
Old 18 October 2004, 09:29 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Do a search on here for RAC Trackstar............

Trending Topics

Old 18 October 2004, 10:11 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulhsti
Same here with elephant.co.uk. Therefore if you have an STi, why not purchase one of those 'back to ticket price' insurance thingies which for about £250 will provide you with 3 tears top up to cover the 'gap' between an insurance payout and the ticket price you paid (up to a certain maximum usually around £15K). Then after your free year of tracker subscription is up, don't renew it (the scum know that there is a tracker in an STi, whether its working or not they won't know). The saved money will pay for your supplemental insurance. The good part is that if your unfortunate motor gets nicked, it will be properly nicked due to lack of tracker (who would want it back anyway?). You then have your original dosh back to put towards a new MY05 STi (or probably completely buy a WR1 which may still be kicking around a forecourt somewhere )
Old 18 October 2004, 10:20 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

My insurance company released the insurance certificate but stated that they would not be liable for any loss through theft until they had received proof of installation from the dealer.

Posted the proof of installation the day I picked up the car and it took about a week for the confirmation to come through from them that it was finally covered.

For a few days my scoob was parked at night and blocked in with as many other cars as possible.
Old 19 October 2004, 08:14 AM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same dilema mate.

I phoned up on 3 different occasions, 2 before I bought the car to check insurance costs etc asked if they would cover me for theft until the tracker was fitted, both times they said no. (you'll find you are covered for accidents - just not theft)

The 3rd time I phoned when I bought the car to transfer my policy over, I asked again and said that I had it booked in for fitting at the earliest available slot (which I had), explained the fact that it was booked in asap and that if it was stolen before the fitting I would be extremely unlucky. I asked if she would speak to the underwriters of the policy directly, they saw sense and covered me, tracker is being fitted today (car bought 10 days ago).

Don't bother with the 'team leaders' (or what ever they like to call themselves), just persist and ask them to speak to the underwriters, as long as you can prove it is booked in for fitting you'll probably get cover for theft aswell.

best of luck chap,
P.S. Buy a Disklok (about 60 quid on ebay) piece of mind if they will not cover you.
Old 19 October 2004, 08:49 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down And the most annoying thing ...

they don't give you a discount for the period (2 weeks in my case) while the car is covered third party only but charge the full fully comprehensive rate.
Old 19 October 2004, 08:52 AM
grandjambon
Scooby Regular

Just bought a scoob last night and the same applies - privilege want a tracker installed. I have an RAC Trackstar to put in it but can't get it in until Friday. Until then, apparently I am not insured for theft....
Good!
Old 19 October 2004, 09:31 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

When I first got my scoob I was insured (Direct Line) to drive it but not for the theft od the car until the tracker was fitted.
Old 19 October 2004, 01:29 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobie elf
Most insurance companies require a tracker system to be fitted to the car but in order for this to be fitted you have to buy the car and take it to a tracker dealer for this to be installed. How do you do this if your insurance company require the tracker to be fitted before you drive the car and before you are able to tax the car aswell.
Tesco gave me one month to get a tracker fitted, but in that time the car was only insured third party