Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do u think this will go all wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2004, 04:03 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do u think this will go all wrong?

hi guys.

i'm new to the site, i'm looking to get a subaru wrx (hopefully a 98 model)

the situation is that i'm 21 but am going to be on my dads insurance as a named driver. he has full ncb's, and a clean license.........bla bla bla

i was calling around for insurance and spoke to about 15 different companies, ranging from tesco's etc to the performance insurers and they all told me the exact same thing...........

"that AS A 21 YEAR OLD i could NOT even be a named driver on a policly"

"due to rule changes 2-3 months ago I HAVE TO BE 25 to get insured on any GROUP 20 car"

then yesterday i went on elephant.co.uk and put in my information , again under my dad as the main policy holder, and they will insure me, for about £1300-1400.
all the info i put in was 100% correct

should i be biting their hands and get the policy?
can they revoke the insurance afterwards if they change their age rules?

i have spoken to a few friends and they all say that if i've been given the quote then they have to stand by it and can not revoke it.

i don't want to get in to the situation where i buy the car and then can't insure it.

i hope u guys don't think i'm just another silly young lad that is just a dreamer an wasting your time.

any advice would be great.

thanks in advance.

nick

Last edited by AsianGunner; 06 October 2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06 October 2004, 05:56 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

you should be able to save your quote online and get a reference no. make sure that all the information is correct, double check just to make sure, technically being named driver means that you will not be the main driver of the vehicle and only getting part use etc. is this the case or is this the only way you can get someone to quote you?

you do realise that the imported cars are harder to insure, have you looked at uk turbos?
Old 06 October 2004, 07:33 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Cool

yes mate, i've saved the qoute, an can take it up any time.

its a uk turbo that i'm after, all company seem to shat them selve as soon as u say "import".....lol

i will be the main user of the car, but am gettin insured this way because its my cheapest option, an luckily my dad is fully ok with it.

hopefully i'll be able to get my hands on either a version 5 or 6 wrx sti.

the options on elephant aren't 100% clear on choosing what version scooby your trying to get a policy for.
so i tried them all, an found as long as its a uk car i can get qouted, even on a 22b...........
Old 06 October 2004, 10:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AsianGunner
yes mate, i've saved the qoute, an can take it up any time.

its a uk turbo that i'm after, all company seem to shat them selve as soon as u say "import".....lol

i will be the main user of the car, but am gettin insured this way because its my cheapest option, an luckily my dad is fully ok with it.

hopefully i'll be able to get my hands on either a version 5 or 6 wrx sti.

the options on elephant aren't 100% clear on choosing what version scooby your trying to get a policy for.
so i tried them all, an found as long as its a uk car i can get qouted, even on a 22b...........
Hope you realise that all wrx sti's from v1 up to v6 in the uk are all imports.
Old 06 October 2004, 11:43 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

ah, i did'nt know that.

that'll mean i can't get insure on them.

i've been have a look at 2001 wrx bug eyed shape ones today, i can pick a decent one for 10 grand easliy.

obviously their uk models so i'd not have a prob insuring one o them.

what other models are definatly import?
Old 06 October 2004, 11:58 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

ah, i did'nt know that.

that'll mean i can't get insure on them.

i've been have a look at 2001 wrx bug eyed shape ones today, i can pick a decent one for 10 grand easliy.

obviously their uk models so i'd not have a prob insuring one o them.

what other models are definatly import?
sti ra, type r, only 15 or so 22b's were officially sold in the uk
Old 07 October 2004, 12:05 AM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
sti ra, type r, only 15 or so 22b's were officially sold in the uk
what does "ra" stand for?

whats the turbo "AWD" model?
Old 07 October 2004, 11:32 AM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Any classic shape with wrx on the back is an import. All uk cars are just called turbo`s.
Think ra means rally altered. There light weight and have very short gearing.
Old 07 October 2004, 09:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Insurance companys arnt stupid!!!

if your old man drives his own car, he will have insurance... and be on file some where...

and remember, conversations are recorded... a false statement is fraud!!!

and if you have a prang and they find out you told porkys to get it ..

good bye cover... and any chances of getting recovered at a later date...

its your call...

m
Old 07 October 2004, 11:10 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mart is talking sense.
Get some no-claims behind you on another car as you will regret it in the future when you want to insure the Scoob for yourself.
Old 07 October 2004, 11:11 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

Bite the bullet buy a N/A and bide your time, 130bhp and awd will still blow most boy racers into the weeds
Old 07 October 2004, 11:11 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Insurance companys arnt stupid!!!

if your old man drives his own car, he will have insurance... and be on file some where...

and remember, conversations are recorded... a false statement is fraud!!!

m
i know what u mean mate but, the insurance compnaies don't set out any rules on how much the policy holder drives the car and how much the named driver uses it.

he isn't insured on any other cars, he has a porsche 911 c2 but only insures that in the summer.

because i won't be able to get a classic shape cos the ones i won't are imports so i'm leaning towards getting a 2000-2001 wrx bug eye.

even tho the wrx is less power its still plenty for me.
i've been quoted £1350 from elephant on a bug eye wrx.
Old 07 October 2004, 11:20 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brother_Will
Bite the bullet buy a N/A and bide your time, 130bhp and awd will still blow most boy racers into the weeds
whats a "N/A" mate?

at the stage when i thought no one would touch me with insurance on a scooby i was looking to get a golf or audi 1.8 turbo.

but the scooby is a dream car an if i've got the chance of gettin one now then i'm guna do my best to get one.

at the stage of looking round for a golf or a3 i was gettin pissed off at the fact that i was gana be spending all this money on a sandard family car, but when i could be gettin a car of real quality.

nothing against golfs and a3's as they are both well nice motors but the car i buy now is what i'll be keeping for quite a while. an i can't see myself driving one of them an being fully satisfied.
Old 07 October 2004, 11:22 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
mart is talking sense.
Get some no-claims behind you on another car as you will regret it in the future when you want to insure the Scoob for yourself.
i'm gana be joining the police in about a years time so i think that will help me get my own policy, plus i'll be earning alot more, so i'll be able to afford high premiums.

but i can see your point mate.
Old 08 October 2004, 12:24 AM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

N/A = Naturally aspirated or no Turbo
ie: 2.0l Sport or later known as the GX, group 13 or £1400 for fully comp on a 22 year old with no no-claims
Old 12 October 2004, 03:34 PM
New_scooby_04

I got my first Scooby recently: had my licence since 17 and have been a named driver since (now 27). The quote on a STANDARD uk turbo? £1800 If you're prepared to pay that kind of money when you're older (as I was) then fine, if not, I'd seriously consider building up your no-claims with a slightly less powerful car first. There are lots of tasty cars out there that don't cost as much to insure!

Best.
Old 12 October 2004, 05:27 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

The insureres can revoke the policy-they are crafty beggars and I'm sure a search on the forum will highlight some of the problems that people have had.

Deposits/ written quotes you name it I had it. Dont want to go over old ground again but they basically cancelled the policy as I wouldn't be held to ransom.

Yes you may feel you are covered, which will no doubt keep the police off your back but as stated on here come claim time...............................

Good luck mate and hope you manage to get sorted.
Old 12 October 2004, 07:49 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
The insureres can revoke the policy-they are crafty beggars and I'm sure a search on the forum will highlight some of the problems that people have had.

Deposits/ written quotes you name it I had it. Dont want to go over old ground again but they basically cancelled the policy as I wouldn't be held to ransom.

Yes you may feel you are covered, which will no doubt keep the police off your back but as stated on here come claim time...............................

Good luck mate and hope you manage to get sorted.
i wanna go over all the fine print before i get the policy, and am definatly gana get the policy BEFORE i get the car.

touch wood i won't be making a claim but thats completly out of my hands if some one hits me.

i'm gana speak to a friend of mine who's in insurance and see what he say, an i keep u guys updated.

thanks again for your advice
Old 12 October 2004, 11:17 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

Potential copper involved in insurance fraud
Old 12 October 2004, 11:49 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GU5
Potential copper involved in insurance fraud
could you explain how this is seen as fraud please?

does an insurance company know how much each person who is on a policy drive the car that is insured............
Old 13 October 2004, 10:48 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

So you wouldn't class deliberately supplying false information so that you can get something cheaper than it should be, as being wrong?

Phone several insurance companies and ask them what the policy is on it, I'm sure you'll get a response you don't want to hear.
Old 14 October 2004, 08:26 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

You are making the statement that your father (as the policy holder) will be the main driver of the vehicle, when it's obvious from what you say that he won't be.
Old 14 October 2004, 09:32 AM
JamesPRJones
Scooby Regular

You also said that your father takes out insurance on his Porsche during the summer months. Does he realised he won't be able to have his full NCB on it aswell as it being used for your car?? The extra £1000 or so on his insurance will certainley pi$$ him off.

Do what most sensible people do and get yourself 1 years NCB (30%) on something cheap. If you're joining the force after a year you'll probably get cheaper insurance anyway if you get any of their driver training. I certainley wouldn't try and bend the law a little if you're serious about join the force, otherwise you won't be joining!!!
James
Old 14 October 2004, 10:17 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamesPRJones
You also said that your father takes out insurance on his Porsche during the summer months. Does he realised he won't be able to have his full NCB on it aswell as it being used for your car?? The extra £1000 or so on his insurance will certainley pi$$ him off.

James
he insures the porsche as a classic so there's no need for him to use his ncb's on it.
Old 14 October 2004, 10:32 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TDT
You are making the statement that your father (as the policy holder) will be the main driver of the vehicle, when it's obvious from what you say that he won't be.
but my point is that insurance company don't set out the amount of use a driver on a policy uses the car.
i can see your points that maybe i should just wait and build up some ncb's but legally this way of getting insured on a wrx as a 21 year old is my only chance.

many people have done it in the past and still do, my brothers insured on a FTO under my mums policy an he was 20 at the time and was coming of a 12 month ban.

my best mate is insured on a Type R FTO under his dads insurance and he was 20 with 6 points on his license.

alot of you's are probally thinkin this kid jus wants what he can't have, but i've never been one to settle for 2nd best so if i can afford to get a wrx i ain't ganna let some "ifs and buts" about insurance that IS NOT stated in writing stop me.

i must sound abit like a spoilt brat, but trust me i'm a very level headed guy and am definatly thinkin this through and ain't ganna jump in with my eyes shut.

at the mo i'm just doing my homework, but am 95% sure i'll be gettin a wrx
Old 15 October 2004, 03:31 AM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

NOte also that if you buy the car and register it in your name it will look suspicious when 'your dad' is insuring a car that belongs to someone else.

The definitions of main driver used to be the one who will use the car the most, secondary drivers will use the car occasionally. Therefore if your dad insures the car socail domestic and please inc commuting and you are involved in an accident on your way to work in the car you will have to prove why you are the one running it that day not your dad.

If you intend to be the sole driver of the car then insure it yourself. You can insure it yourself but it will cost you.

/rant on

If you have the cash for a 10k plus car then pay the bloody insurace as well. All you are doing otherwise is putting up the premiums of law abiding motorists who do not lie to get policies.

/rant off
Kev
Old 15 October 2004, 08:40 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Most insurance companies insist on the policy holder being the registered keeper of the vehicle.

With the current insurance climate regarding scoobs you are playing with fire not being 110% accurate with the company as they will find any excuse not to pay out.

I'm not going to go on about the chances of you having an accident 'cause I reckon you've already made your mind up. But if/when it goes wrong, you'll end up regretting it.......

Last edited by TDT; 15 October 2004 at 08:43 AM.
Old 15 October 2004, 08:44 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

i ain't ganna let some "ifs and buts" about insurance that IS NOT stated in writing stop me.
And with an attitude like that, you'll never make it into the job!
Old 15 October 2004, 03:02 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Main driver = the person who drives the car the majority of the time. So, if you drive the car any more than 50% of the time you are, by definition, the Main Driver.

In the event of a claim, insurers can repudiate a claim on the basis of non-disclosure if the young driver has been added as an occasional driver when in fact he or she is the main driver. It is imperative that the insured is always completely honest on the proposal form. Non-disclosure is a breach of every insurer's policy conditions and can invalidate your car insurance.

Also don't forget that if the cover was invalidated, the fact that the policy was in your father's name would mean that he would have considerable difficulty trying to get cover for himself from that point foward ('cos he'd be obliged to disclose the fact in the future).

In short - don't do it. Its just not worth the risk.
Old 15 October 2004, 03:46 PM
New_scooby_04

When it comes to insurance for us Scooby owners, I'm afraid the procedure is: Bend over, grit your teeth and think of England!

Quick Reply: do u think this will go all wrong?