Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS Exuast increased insurance

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2004, 07:28 PM
TedRainhill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Exuast increased insurance

My current exuast is getting beyond it, (thats what i'm telling the wife) And i was wondering if I adding a really nice exuast, would add anything to my insurance?

I ve been told that the exuast with induction kit could boost me from 208bhp to about 260bhp. and what kind of increase whould this put on insurance?

I know most of you have modded you cars at least with exuast..

Can anyone give me the lo down?

Cheers Ted
Old 28 May 2004, 07:37 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TedRainhill
I ve been told that the exuast with induction kit could boost me from 208bhp to about 260bhp.
Lol, sorry Ted, but that's bollocks, especially if you're just talking about a cone filter and a back box. Don't believe a word the salesman tells you.

Induction kits are best avoided unless you already have a stack of mods and are going to have a custom remap. To an otherwise unmodified engine they won't make you much (if any) power, can potentially cost you power, and can also potentially blow your engine up if you get one that knocks your MAF scaling out. Good panel filter in the standard induction tract is the way to go.

As for the exhaust, are you talking about a full system or just the back box?
Back box alone won't get you much, 5-10bhp at most. The important bit of the exhaust as far as power is concerned is the downpipe, and specifically whether you keep the catalyst in it.

If you change the entire exhaust system for a free-flowing, cat-free one and fit an uprated panel filter, you might get to 240-245bhp, depending on where you get it measured. Beyond that will requre additional tweaking, whether it be a remap, manual boost controller or some other method.

and what kind of increase whould this put on insurance?
All depends on who insures you. Some won't add anything on, others will hike it a couple of hundred quid, some may refuse to cover you, depending on your circumstances. Ring 'em up and ask.
Old 28 May 2004, 08:58 PM
TedRainhill
Scooby Regular

Thats lower down than i expected, i got some of that bhp just from the sales pitch off the shop.scoobynet.com exuast bit. yep was talking about down pipe and box, the whole thing. Mid section too. So if i retain a CAT, i dont get much in the way of extra bhp? Can you get away with out a cat?

ok.. i'll consult the insurance company, my broker is Adrian Flux and the insurer Royal Sun Alliance.. I can but try. I dont want to "mod the engine" but if i can get more just from a good exuast, its got to be worth it. Unless the Insurance goes through the roof..

Thanks for your help

Ted
Old 28 May 2004, 10:26 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TedRainhill
i got some of that bhp just from the sales pitch
Sales pitch. QED I'd say.

So if i retain a CAT, i dont get much in the way of extra bhp?
You will get an increase if you go to a freer-flowing system with an open neck (or twin dump) downpipe and a sports cat, but not as much as you would from a catless system.

Can you get away with out a cat?
Technically, legally, no, but many people do it. If your car was supplied with a catalysing exhaust system, it is technically illegal to remove it. Your car will fail an MOT emissions test, and there's a small (but it does happen) possibility that you may be subject to a stop and roadside test. The consequences of failing one of those are the subject of some debate. You may simply be issued with a vehicle defect form, which gives you seven days to rectify the problem and present the car at an MOT station.
There have been some scare stories going around about cars being impounded if it is found that catalysing systems have been physically removed, but that doesn't sound the likeliest result.

You could consider fitting a decat downpipe and leaving the standard mid-section in, which will give you a useful power increase, but still give you a single catalyst, and thus a chance of passing any emissions test.