Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning! victims pay

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2004, 11:08 AM
ChrisJD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Warning! victims pay

My insurance renewal came through yesterday and has increased by £380. I phoned Bell direct to ask why this is so, their reason is absolutely outrageous. I have been loaded because of a claim that was made due to an accident last year which wrote off my STI7, All blame was on the other party, they have since been convicted, and my company claimed their losses back from the other parties insurance.

So this should not affect my insurance right? wrong!
It's another blow for the victim of someone else's stupiduty, why should I pay pay more for their mistake.

I already complained to Bell direct about the way they handled this claim, so shall be doing so again, with copies to the General Insurance Standards Council.

So for anyone who was the victim of such an incident, be warned that you'll be loaded too.

Despite this, I have had good quotes from other insurers, no doubt that I'll be changing companies again this year.

Chris.
Old 20 February 2004, 11:37 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Sounds crazy!
Someone crashes into you, entirely their fault, you have all the inconvenience associated with your car being off the road while being repaired, and they want to charge you £380 as well?!!

Bend over!

Tell them to reduce your premium by £380 or you'll go elsewhere. Good luck with your complaint.
Old 20 February 2004, 12:09 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

ChrisJD's pa here.
Knowing the full details of the incident and how the third party was 100% to blame, I found it disgusting that his company treats their clients in this way.
I am with the same company at the moment and needless to say I will not be renewing my insurance with them in June as a matter of principle, and I shall take great delight in telling them why!
I have no doubt that BELL DIRECT are not the only insurers to adopt this policy, however I would think very carefully if you are considering this company?

BEWARE BELL DIRECT
JohnD
Old 20 February 2004, 12:22 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

That goes for Admiral and Elephant (and some others too I'm sure) in that case- they are all part of the same group. Liverpool Victoria don't seem too do it and they are cheaper as well.
Old 20 February 2004, 01:27 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

If any claim is "non-fault" and your insurers make a full recovery you should not be penalised in any way (once the claim is settled) & that includes any increase in premium, loss of no claim discount, increased excess etc.

(While the claim is running &/or before your insurers make a full recovery your policy will be "loaded" & this is to offset any unforseen expenditure by your insurers, & is quite normal & correct.)

If your insurers, for what ever reason decide themselves not to pursue a recovery, that is their choice, but they are still obliged to return your policy to what it was pre-accident.

If an insurer is reluctant to play fair you should firstly write to the general manager's office of the insurer detailing any complaint and then if you still receive no joy write to the Insurance Ombudsmans Bureau, 31 Southampton Row, London, WC1B 5HJ.

Regards, Ian
Old 20 February 2004, 01:53 PM
ChrisJD
Scooby Regular

The accident was last March and the claim has been settled for at least 6-7 months. They wrote to me then to tell me my no claims had been restored etc. Then in September the other party was prosecuted. So there is no reason for them to load me. When I asked them, the answer was that that's how they work, pathetic!

Chris.
Old 20 February 2004, 02:07 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

ChrisJD

Sorry to hear of your problems. Izzy's response is spot on (but given his occupation that's not surprising!!). The Ombudsman will not be able consider your complaint until you have received a "final decision" letter from the insurer. Most insurers are very wary of policyholders taking them to the Ombudsman - I'd suggest that you formally write to BD (under the heading of "Complaint") restating the facts and asking them to reconsider their decision, and informing them that if matters are not resolved to your satisfaction you will be left with no choice but to go to the Ombudsman.

Unless there are mitigating facts of which we are not aware, this should get things sorted.

Last edited by Tentenths; 20 February 2004 at 02:11 PM. Reason: word "not" previously omitted from penultimate line of para 1

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2004, 02:08 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Sounds like one for the Ombudsman Chris......
Old 20 February 2004, 03:38 PM
ChrisJD
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the advise and info guys.

I don't expect anything to come from this, but it just angered me so much that I feel the need to make some form of complaint.
I've drafted a letter to Bell direct and shall at least threat to copy it to the ombudsman...if not send one anyway.
I would also like to make them aware of my concerns, and to anyone else who may come accross this situation.

I also found that the Insurance Ombudsman Bureau is now under the Financial Ombudsman Service banner.

Chris.
Old 20 February 2004, 10:25 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

NEVER stick with the same insurance company year after year just paying the premium. (Unless of course it's the cheapest!)

Always phone around, a company that was expensive last year might suddenly be really cheap due to circumstances changing, and most companies offer a decent discount for new business - some offer upto 10% for buying via the web too, can be a good saving if premiums are high.

But that is outrageous - and I'm sure must be illegal! How can they possibly penalise you for that!

Insurance should be like law - i.e. innocent until proven guilty - give everyone cheap insurance, then whack the premiums up for those who make a claim!!

Last edited by BedHog; 20 February 2004 at 10:29 PM.