Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yound driver insurance

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2003, 04:36 PM
HellFire
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm 19 and want insurance for my 2002 wrx impreza (not STi), I bought it rashly about 3 weeks ago and can't bloody drive it because I can't get any insurance and, no insurance means no tax either.

Any help much appreciated,
Chris.
Old 24 August 2003, 05:54 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for you!

I am 21 and that was hard enough trying to get insured.

How about putting it in you Mum or Dad's name, I know you won't get any NCB but it is worth a try.
If not try tesco's and see what they say, but I reckon you would be looking at 5k plus
Old 24 August 2003, 06:07 PM
HellFire
Scooby Newbie

oh my....I searched for a performance insurance company to see if I could get insured. Under my name it's very close to that! £4235, under my parents it's £1650. Anyone good tips to get it cheaper?
Old 25 August 2003, 01:59 AM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Apart from wishing you were a couple of years older, I don't think there is much else you can do
Old 25 August 2003, 09:45 AM
HellFire
Scooby Newbie

Oh well! I guess i'm destined to pay incredible insurance premiums.

Just on a side note, how come on most web sites an impreza wrx 2003 would cost you around £18500, yet on this web site you can pick on up if you are a registered member for £15890 or thereabouts is this because it's not delivery mileage?
Old 25 August 2003, 10:24 AM
amaclean
Scooby Regular

Have you tried
-

adrian flux 01553.777888
hic 01279.719932

as for keeping the premium down try limiting the mileage and/or including a parent on the policy
Old 25 August 2003, 05:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

This Parent thing is now illegal as if you own the car you have to insure it, having a parent insure and put you on as a named driver is fraud (your doing the insurance co out of money basically on something that you own but cant insure so......)
In the long run, it will be best if you insure the car in your own name, expensive it may well be but its better than being 25 and having 0 ncb!

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 25 August 2003, 07:25 PM
Hoth
Scooby Regular

What you can do is transfer the car ownership to your dad. It means another change of registered keeper. Then you can insure youself under your dads policy as a listed driver. And its not illegal. But remember you are not the main user (I assume) so this could void the insurance anyway. I used to have a policy where two people were both listed as main drivers.

Don't lie to the insurance company!
I only used to do this when I was a student and only used my dads car at weekends. The insurance co. even paid out in a (non fault) claim. They made it very clear they would NOT payout if I took the car to uni.

If the car is on HP the legal owner is probably the finance company anyway. Tell them this.

You can alternatively tell them that you are the registered keeper but still get a policy under your dads name but it will cost ££££.

[Edited by Hoth - 8/25/2003 7:39:46 PM]

[Edited by Hoth - 8/25/2003 7:40:50 PM]
Old 26 August 2003, 10:20 AM
JayCole
Scooby Regular

*Mental Note* Always check you can get insurance before you buy a car.

But seriously I thinkl Tesco's will be one of the only places that will quote you at 19. May be better getting a run about to insure in your own name and putting the scoob on Daddy's insurance.
Old 26 August 2003, 12:41 PM
HellFire
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the reply's..The car is registered in my fathers name anyway and I was going to be using him as the main policy driver and just having me as a named driver. My dad has full protected NCB and is 50+, and no points etc on his liscense, so that should all help. The only problem which was pointed out in a previous response is to make sure I am not the main driver when I am stating in my insurance that my dad is the registered holder & the main driver, if I were to have an accident would they check petrol receipts etc? because otherwise how would they be able to identify if I drove the car every day as I could just state that I was borrowing it surely..
Old 26 August 2003, 05:00 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

If you are the de facto main driver of the car, you are legally obliged to insure it on that basis. If you insure it under your dad's name with you as an "occasional" and subsequently prang it, both you and your dad could be in sh*t street if the insurance company investigate and find that you are the one spending all the time in it.

If you did have an accident, I'd imagine this would be one of the first things they'd check. Insurance companies are devoting greater and greater resources to fraud investigation, so it's really up to you to decide whether you're prepared to take the risk.

As has been said elsewhere, you're probably better off biting the bullet now (even if it means selling this car and buying one that's cheaper to insure), than ending up 25 years old with zero no claims entitlement.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/26/2003 5:02:30 PM]
Old 27 August 2003, 09:10 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Hellfire - How would they check that your dad isn't the main driver? If he has a company car (or another car as his daily driver), your mum has a car, you have brothers or sisters with cars, and you don't have one, they might get suspicious. While they would no doubt accept that he could be buying the Scoob as a "weekend" or track day car, they will be asking questions if it's you that has the accident.

For example, how many miles a year does he drive in his main car? How many miles did the Scoob have on it when you bought it and how many did it have at the time of the accident? How do you get to work/college?

As others have said, although it may hurt the best option is probably to accept the higher cost and start building up your own no-claims. If you have an accident, the consequences of finding yourself not insured due to trying to defraud the insurers don't realy bear thinking about.

As has been said elsewhere, you're probably better off biting the bullet now (even if it means selling this car and buying one that's cheaper to insure), than ending up 25 years old with zero no claims entitlement.
Or ending up 25 years old with no zero no-claims, a driving ban on your history, a huge debt from paying off the costs, and unable to get insurance when you need it.

Doug
Old 01 September 2003, 02:31 PM
Twohot
Scooby Regular

HellFire. Have fun with this one mate. Im 19, I've got an impreza sport. 1 yr ncb under my dads policy. Premium- £2,500 with tesco!!!!!!
Its killing me. The car is having to be sold in the next week or two as Im getting a Mini Cooper as a company car which will be less than half the insurance!!!!
Dont worry though, Ill get another scooby soon, but next time it will be a turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben
Old 01 September 2003, 02:57 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Jesus, you're prepared to pay that much for driving a Sport ? What's the point?

Also have to ask whether you're sure your insurance company know it's normally aspirated? £2.5K for one of those, and in your old man's name at that, sounds unfeasably high...
Old 01 September 2003, 04:31 PM
Twohot
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it. It was originally £1,700, which was the best quote around. Two months later though, they sent us a later saying that we only had 1 yrs ncb not 2 as we took the policy out a month too early! Gutted!
Ben