Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual policy.

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2003, 05:18 PM
RJohnson
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I am just about to buy a Subaru Impreza P1 from a friend and am wanting to do a dual policy so my kid can use the car aswell, he has just passed his driving test, and I am wondering how much will it cost around for fully comp?

Cheers for your help.
Old 07 August 2003, 07:04 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Red face

Prepare for a nasty shock...assuming he's 17/18, I'd be surprised if anyone quotes...hope I'm wrong, good luck
Old 07 August 2003, 10:39 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Your best bet is to look back through the Insurance topics to get a feel for which companies are currently thought to be reasonably priced. Ask them for a quote for just yourself driving. Then ask them for a quote with you and the kid.

Be prepared for a huge surprise (assuming that they will even give you a quotation). I don't know how old your kid is and what driving experience they have, but an insurer is going to assume that if they have just passed their test, they have probably got less than 1000 miles experience in total below their belt (and that probably in a Micra) and if they have access to a P1 their enthusiasm will outweigh their ability. The result will be expensive.

Anything like PassPlus will help and it may be that your son/daughter is not 17/18 and can provide proof of driving experience, but I think you will fall foul of insurers assuming that the kid will be driving the car frequently and will charge accordingly.

Doug
Old 08 August 2003, 12:12 AM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

I think this is going to cost you a lot of money and thats even if anywhere will insure the both of you
Old 08 August 2003, 05:48 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Is this a wind-up?

I'd be amazed if you'd find a single insurance company who'd quote on this risk. The chances of getting cover for someone who's just passed their driving test, on any turbocharged Impreza, let alone something like a P1, are infinitessimally small. It's difficult enough for drivers over 25 to get realistically priced cover!

Surely you are aware of the inherent dangers in allowing someone with no experience, and probably too much testosterone, behind the wheel of such a powerful car?
Old 08 August 2003, 08:06 PM
Hoth
Scooby Regular

I was insured as a listed driver on a Golf VR6 when I was 19. Now group 16 but may have been group 18 then. Cost was reasonable too.
There will always be someone that will quote you.

It gets even better, a friend of mine drove a M3 at the same time (he was 6 months younger than me). Listed on his fathers policy.

Even now at 26, a WRX STi under my own name is £2000 fc. It would be stupid to pay this when you can get insured as a listed driver for £600 fc (social use only). Rest of the time I use a crappy fiesta to build up my NCB.

[Edited by Hoth - 8/8/2003 8:18:10 PM]