Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to tell insurance or not, where do you start?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2003, 09:44 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi fellas,

just had a full decat exhaust fitted to my 99V turbo, wow, what a difference!

thing is, do i tell my insurers?, i mean a back box, maybe not, but the full decat thing going on cest possible?

i am also considering an ecutek upgrade, i would have thought that you could get away with not telling the insurance company about the ecu mod, but the exhaust????????

what do you all think?

also, if you have been honest, how much extra did your premium rise by?

cheers boys

micky
Old 22 April 2003, 09:48 PM
naughtybutnice
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Micky, you know shiite all if they ask!! it was on when you got it!! just say "de-cat what the ****s that then?????" ,etc. if, however you are, like myself, a respectable member of the community, then inform your insurance company of any alterations, .
p.s. watch that premium explode!!

martin

[Edited by naughtybutnice - 4/22/2003 9:53:19 PM]
Old 22 April 2003, 09:51 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

yeah, what the fxcks a decat???????

point taken!
Old 22 April 2003, 09:52 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

It's up to you!

Kill a child and book your place in prison.

Ignorance has no place in law as a defence!

Korky
Old 22 April 2003, 09:52 PM
Mr555
Scooby Regular

If you don't tell them, and you spill the car big time, then if they want to wriggle out of paying up they'll look for anything material that you didn't disclose. I can understand your reluctance to ask them about it though, in case you're in for a premium shocker.

Hopefully someone here will have informed their insurer about a similar upgrade and let you know what the news was.
Old 22 April 2003, 10:00 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

As stated, if they find out then they will void your insurance - that means the whole claim, not limited to your car - think about it !

I declare everything, literally, I even put on the form that I've got Goodyear F1's instead of RE010's even though they're the same size !

Al
Old 22 April 2003, 10:00 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Tell them, if you cant afford the premium then you shouldnt mod, simple as that, insurance is there for a reason, unfortunately its just expensive!
Old 22 April 2003, 10:35 PM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Whilst I haven't got a full decat, I have got a Scoobysport back box fitted to my MY00. I told my insurers (DirectLine) - They said fine, but the annual premium would go up £75 per year. Seems a lot for just a back box, but its only £6.25 a month or 20p a day. Well worth it for that great sound!
Old 22 April 2003, 10:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Angry

Put yourself in the other person's shoes - you crash into them. They claim. Because you didn't tell your insurance, THEY lose out too because of your fraudulence (sp?)

What would you do to the person who's cost you a ****e load of money?! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Me? I'd kick **** out of em....

I hate this type of thing - I presume you can afford your car, therefore, take responsibilty for the mods YOU'VE put on it and pay up.

Consider this a polite "flaming" - others may not be so subtle...

Dan
Old 22 April 2003, 10:56 PM
RogerFord
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find that in those circumstances, your insurers are obliged to pay out to the third party, but they can then sue you for the entire payout. A big claim could mean losing your house - or being made bankrupt if you don't own one.
Old 22 April 2003, 11:12 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

/me phones up insurance tomorrow... JK, although i was considering getting a decat centre, purely for the sound... I think i wont bother knowing that they'll try to charge me about £300 for a pipe that costs £60!!

Andy
Old 22 April 2003, 11:26 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Greenlight stuck just short of £100 on for my full decat.
Picture this - You totalyour car without your Ins Co. knowing about the decat then you don't get a pay out. It's as simple as that.
Wanna risk it?
Old 23 April 2003, 07:05 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

You do all talk sense!

I will call them today and do it, I will also let you know how much my insurance company ripped me for.

The money side of it is a non brainer, if it costs me £300 on top of what I pay already then so be it, it is worth double that for the ****xn sound my baby makes when I put my foot down!

Remember "you can't take it with you"

I will return with how much it cost me.

ps i would pressume i just say that i have fitted a full stainless steel exhaust system?

Micky
Old 23 April 2003, 07:09 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

ps ps naughtybutnice, your advice (second thread in this discussion) was to not bother telling the insurance company, you then went back and changed your message saying that with you being an upstanding member etc etc, whats all that about then???

Old 23 April 2003, 07:12 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You've seen the naughty side, and the nice side
Old 23 April 2003, 07:17 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

ha ha good call buddy!
Old 23 April 2003, 07:50 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Micky,

Some companies also require proof of the performance hike (in bhp) - your best best is look at the Scoobynet Dyno, or get your car on a rolling road!

They might even want the make of the exhaust - for what it's worth, they didn't with mine. As you say, just put down a performance exhaust...

Best of luck - it won't be too bad

Dan
Old 23 April 2003, 12:23 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Informed my broker that I was fitting a perfomance exhaust and they charged me a £15 admin fee only.

Come renewal, bet my premium will increase though!
Old 23 April 2003, 12:42 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

£59 it added onto my premium boys............I am not so glum anymore,a nd rather happy!

I am with Elephant who seem to be pretty good, and some of the girls you get to speak to are honey's!!!!!!!

I think I got a good deal, I simply said I am fitting a performance exhaust to my subaru, she gave me the cost, we flirted, i paid, and I am now covered!

Wey Hey!

ps 3 - 0 to the toon on Saturday against the mackems!!!!!!

Up the Toon!

Laters guys

Old 25 April 2003, 11:30 PM
Midge
Scooby Regular

Someone belted into the back of my scoob yesterday that had no insurance. Took her to the garage today to be assessed and the very nice assesser said before I do the check make sure those 17inch alloys are on your insurance policy or the insurance will be void. My advice is come clean on everything or you could end up **** creek like we nearlly did.
Old 25 April 2003, 11:44 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

MickyC - I'm with Elephant since this 26th. Only thing to remember is that they will replace the exhaust with a standard item only if anything happens to it. Apart from that you're insured fully
Old 26 April 2003, 12:02 AM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Always tell them, not worth taking the risk, i've seen it come back and bite.

simb
Old 26 April 2003, 04:47 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Wise, Wise Words...........!

I only hope there aint to much damage to your lady, and you get her back sooner rather than later.

To sum up this thread I suppose, is to say that I am obviously very new to owning a subaru, but am loving every minute of it, i actually wake up in the morning and look forward to driving!

I joined this forum if I am honest especting it to be full of boy racers (nowt wrong with beeing a boy racer, I was, and come to think of it probably still am at 35!) but have found this forum to be an invaluable and comprehensive point of refference to anything scooby related, and the depth of Scooby knowledge here is truely breathtaking!

I would like to thank my manager for making this all possible, my parents, and most of all God! Ooops wrong speech!

Anyway, Nuff said, Well done lads, thanks for the advice, and we will speak again soon!

See Ya

Micky
Old 26 April 2003, 12:31 PM
VinnyP
Scooby Regular

Well Liverpool Victoria don't care about any mods as long as the engine size remains the same, you don't even have to tell them about them. They were also by far the cheapest quote I got.

Vince
Old 26 April 2003, 05:58 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Vince, word of caution, make sure that is written into your policy or have some reference to it on your schedule.

simb
Old 26 April 2003, 06:20 PM
VinnyP
Scooby Regular

Yes I asked for that too the girl said it was the new policy, nowhere in the schedule, certificate or booklet does it mention mods at all, no small print nothing. I have 2 seperate assistants on tape confirming this. My ex wife who I still get on with is very senior in Churchill Insurance. She at first said what you have said but she has checked and seen the policy it is fine.

Vince