Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone explain the Logic?

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2003, 01:36 PM
jpmason33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Why would one insurance company insist on a tracker for one person and not for another. Surely age has nothing to do if a car gets stolen?

I was interested in what would happen when i turned 30 and got my 30 + house mate to try to insure the same spec car as me. i am 27 he is 32, i have to have a tracker monitor + cat1 he just a Cat1 bth at the same address with same insurance company.

Is this totally mad or is it just me?

Oh yes and we have the same NCB!

James
Old 29 March 2003, 02:04 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I suspect its something to do with lifestyle. They probably load you on the basis you are more likely to be out on a saturday night p1ssed up, not at home or in control of all your facalties, and a 30 year old is more likely to have a wife and kids and a few tins out of the fridge.

Just a thought.
Old 29 March 2003, 02:07 PM
jpmason33
Scooby Regular

How does a tracker stop me going out getting P*ssed up and driving the car (not that i would)

I thought a tracker's purpose was to aid in the recovery of a vehicle if stolen?

Jmaes
Old 29 March 2003, 08:11 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I meant prevention is better. If you were at home, less chance of it going missing. Also if you were out on the town (and driving) you may leave it in a dodgy car park.

Not saying this is true, just trying to put myself in an insurance coy's shoes.

edited to say - if they loaded you for that, then they may insist on the tracker to aid recovery.

[Edited by MattW - 3/29/2003 8:14:23 PM]
Old 04 April 2003, 03:19 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Personally, I'd think it was a mistake !

You're absolutely right, lifestyle shouldn't really determine if a car will get knicked or not.. okay, you might do a higher annual mileage and a company may feel that the car would be more exposed, but age shouldn't make a difference...

For this kind performance car I think its worth asking an insurer if they require a tracker system installing in addition to Cat 1 or 2 security rather than waiting to be told.... An insurer should make it clear to you what the policy requirements are prior to you agreeing cover, but I'm afraid too many forget to say. Cr4p but true...

The last thing you want is for the car to go walkies and find that you're not covered.

Who's the insurer ?