Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word to the wise...

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2002, 10:12 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had an interesting chat with a helpful guy from Keith Michaels. I was going to get insurance on my shortly arriving brand new WRX from Elephant (Admiral). Well it seems that this is not a very good idea! The guy was basically saying that if you want to cover a new car then the direct companies such as directline and admiral dont offer a replacement car scheme. So if you buy a car new for £21K and have a total loss they do a valuation (which is obviously less) and pay out the money rather than other policies that will replace the car. If you have the car on finance then the finance company gets paid before you and obviously there is going to be a shortfall.

The bottom line is if you are looking to cover a new suby dont do it with elephant or direct line. These f***ers should be run out of business for that!

Cheers

Gary
Old 17 July 2002, 09:11 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

I got some kind of insurance top up scheme for my wife's new Outback from the dealer, to make up any shortfall, up to 10k, in the case of the insurer doing a valuation and paying you peanuts on a new car. Can't remember how much it was, but it seemed worth it for the pcp scheme period of 3yrs.
Old 18 July 2002, 09:33 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

stan,

yes found it, its GAP insurance and its gonna cost me about £90 which is what I will probably do.

Cheers

gary
Old 19 July 2002, 06:17 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

I just wrote of my MY99 (not good and gutted), the payout to the Finance people was about a grand less than the payout from Insurers. Granted my premiums are higher than Keith Moon on a stag do but this will cover the increase, also turbo prices are coming down with the intro of the new shape in 03. Not everything's as bad.

This time I will be taking on the GAP insurnace though.

Not gonna trash the next one.

Rup
Old 20 July 2002, 11:49 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I rolled a brand new my00 after 2000 miles and got another brand new one fitted with all the same bits my first one had (tracker, locking wheel nuts, side protection strips etc) This was from Privilege (part of Direct Line) a while ago. Infact mine was Euro spec and they bought the new one from a UK dealer so the warranty and stuff got bumped up too. Excellent service
Old 22 October 2002, 05:14 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

just to bring this to light again, DIRECTLINE do offer a vehicle replacement scheme. I hav ehad the bad luch of using it twice now.
June 200, some tw** stole my saxo and wrote it off, the car was only 3 weeks old. They did try and go for a cash settlement, but with about two weeks of fighting with them, and some legal advice, they did replace the car to the same spec. As for now, one dark night on a slippy B road, i Spun mine (UK MY98),total loss (gutted now) and directline offered to replace the vehicle with one of similar value. (or any other vehicle for that matter)
Beware, this is through JAMJAR (who are a part of directline) and they are making a profit on the vehicle which is being sold at forecourt prices.