Comments on alternate locations

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2002, 10:28 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Come on you guys
I know it's a Legacy we're talking about, but the dash is very similar to the Impreza's. Noone got any other ideas? (Sobs quietly into a pint of beer magically invented for the sole purpose of sobbing into )
Old 08 May 2002, 10:16 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Talking

1 - duck tape
2 - dunno
3 - duck tape

Any help?

More seriously, I can't visualise this. How about a photo of the standard dash as that may help us to understand?
Old 08 May 2002, 12:05 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

mail 'em to me and I'll put 'em up for you.
Old 08 May 2002, 04:16 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Chiark - YHM
Old 08 May 2002, 09:39 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

ahh, this you mean?

hmm...
Old 08 May 2002, 11:24 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

That's the badger!!!!

Okay, so my head unit screen (Alpine IVA-M700R) is double-DIN high, but motorises out, so the whole thing covers an area 2.5-DIN. The aircon unit can be moved lower, and the head-unit put at the top, but then I've got the curve on the right hand side of the aircon and the dash to compensate for. Plus, I've got the two foglight switches and the MStation and EQ controllers to put somewhere!

Best thought I've got is to put the head unit in place of the air vents, leave the aircon where it is, and flush-fit the controllers into a panel where the current stereo (urgh!) is. Only other option is to use the space where the ciggy lighter is 'n such, but you suffer with sun-glare there, and it's awkward with the gearchange.

Any suggestions?

Richard

PS Thanks Chiark - much appreciated
Old 09 May 2002, 08:45 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Using the air vents could make for an excellent stealth install... I've seen things like this done before where you can install there in a way that allows you to slip the air vents over the front of the retracted unit, that way looking completely factory. Dunno how far your unit protrudes out (so to speak) and if you'd have clearance to do it that way, but that would get my vote for easiest and most user friendly too.

Old 09 May 2002, 08:54 AM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that's my thought too
Trouble is, it's not deep enough for me to put the head unit in - I'm going to have to mangle the fronts of the air-vent tubing

Bummer, said Dougal, realising he needed to dismantle the dash on his shiny new car
Old 09 May 2002, 10:53 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Arrow

Could you not take the front off the Air-Con / Controller unit jobbie with the curved corner and get someone to make up a new front for it that would allow you to put it where the current stereo is and then put the Alpine on top? - At least that way you keep the vents in the correct place and should not need to butcher the tubes etc.....Especially in the summer could be hideous only having cool air from the sides?
Old 09 May 2002, 12:04 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Could do - although I'd still have the corner in the dash to deal with. But, since the temperature sensor is built into the climate control unit, I don't really want to lower it. Plus, of course, with climate control, the centre vents aren't really used - most of the useful air comes top and bottom.

Good thought though - worth an investigate
Old 09 May 2002, 12:10 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Arrow

or.....

If you could to that and move the temprature sensor to somewhere similar to where it is, that way you still know that the climate is working as before, retain your vents AND have your monitor in a decent place AND still have your controls.....phew!!! lol
Old 05 June 2002, 06:20 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Come on, you brainboxes out there - comments/advice/suggestions needed.

So, my 2002-spec Legacy has, in the centre bit, the climate-control unit (1.5 DIN approx), double-DIN stereo then a DIN-size unit with half-pocket, half foglight switches. This lot needs to be moved around, because of the Alpine TV head unit, EQ-control unit and MStation control unit to be installed up front.

The biggest problem is the climate-control unit. It needs to go at the top, as it's slightly curved on top. But, this means that I either cover it up with the TV when it's open (not ideal) or cover the processor units and switches below - also bad.

The only other solution I've got is to put the stereo where the air-vents and hazard-warning switch are. But, I've had the vents out a couple of times, and I don't think there's enough depth without cutting the vent-tubes about.

So, anyone got suggestions about:
1) How I can get the vent tubes out/blocked off?
2) Where else I could put the stereo (it's a single-DIN unit, with a motorised screen)
3) Any other ways around this without completely remoulding my dash?!!!!

Thanks guys

[Edited by globbits - 5/6/2002 6:21:44 PM]
Old 05 August 2002, 11:10 AM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Oh, that's no fair! That means I need to find a digital camera!!!!

Okay, got piccies now. How do I post 'em?

[Edited by globbits - 5/8/2002 11:41:57 AM]