ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Pair of 15" subs burning 6x9's out in classic scoob

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2012, 01:56 AM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pair of 15" subs burning 6x9's out in classic scoob

Hello guys, I am having a nightmare trying to stop my subs from killing 6x9's in my classic scoob. The offending items are a pair of 15" Rockford HF2's each running on a 600 watt V12 amp in a sealed box that takes up 2/3 of the boot. I bought the subs and amps from a mate and they sounded great in his RST but I can barely have them on in the scoob as they move so much air the cones on the 6x9's are at full travel at a third volume on the head unit. The 6x9's are amped but after about 10 min at fairly low volume the voice coils start burning and they sound terrible. I have tried 6x9's with huge magnets, this makes no difference. I have also gone down the route of 6x9 boxes that enclose the speakers but unfortunately they simply wont fit in a classic scoob due to the nature of the rear deck/parcel shelf. I have gone out and bought some top of the line Alpine 6x9's to match the 17cm components in the front but I really dont want to fit them until I can find a solution. I have heard of people fitting 6x9's in the rear doors, am thinking this could a solution but really dont see how I am going to do it without some seriously deep spacers. Anyone fitted speakers in the rear doors that can point me in the right direction? or is there a better way of doint it? Really dont want to get rid of the 15's but at this rate the only solution I can think of is downgrade to perhaps a single 12" and leave the 6x9's where they are.
Old 28 April 2012, 08:39 PM
Scoobyn
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd get rid of the 6x9's are the front speakers amped? If so just bin the rears and let the air come through the holes into the cabin, I'm running 3 10's and components up front and the sound is fantastic!
Old 28 April 2012, 09:10 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

can u make up a custom shelf on the back with ported 6x9 spaced up and angled towards the front, so the box would follow the curve of the rear window? then the air movement from the subs shouldnt interfear with 6x9s?
failing that can u run decent set of components in the rear pillar? or custom corner mounts between the parcel shelf and the plasic pillars?
Old 29 April 2012, 02:05 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, yes the components in the front are amped so would be worth a listen with the 6x9's removed and perhaps just leave a pair of old grills over the holes to tidy it. Had debated making some sort of custom box to fit the 6x9's in on top of the parcel shelf but the window is so tight to the rear shelf and my skills with a jigsaw are not great!! lol. I fear it would end up looking very cheap and nasty if i went down this route as I don't have the money to get it done profesionally. The only other thing I can think off is porting the standard rear shelf itself, have seen it done in a Ford Onion and it sounded great but in that car the ports actually went into the box itself. Hopefully two decent sized ports will allow enough air flow to take the pressure off of the 6x9's, just a case of cutting the rear shelf whilst avoiding the boot release cable and wiring I suppose?
Old 29 April 2012, 10:18 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Absolutely no need for rears if your front stage is good enough. I'd do as above and bin the 6x9's
Old 30 April 2012, 12:38 AM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input guys, I would definitely prefer to keep the 6x9's if I can. Looking at the pictures on Daz's project when you remove the parcel shelf there is a large rectangle on the rear deck/shelf between the speaker holes. From memory on the underside of this is the boot release cable, the boot light and some wiring possibly back light related. As the car is currently at the bodyshop I'm thinking of cutting this rectangle of metal out completely then do the same with the parcel shelf and re-cover the whole thing in acoustic material, what do you think? May end up loosing the ability to open the boot from the inside and will definitely lose the boot light but this doesn't bother me in the slightest, just as long as this isn't a key structual part of the chassis.
Old 30 April 2012, 06:20 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Bin the 6 by 9s get a really good set of front components. Whatever you do the rears fire up at the back screen so you get off phase sound waves due to the reflection, it's all about sound quality!