ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Alpine CDE-126BT or Kenwood KDC-BT61U

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2011, 06:23 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine CDE-126BT or Kenwood KDC-BT61U

Does anyone have any user experience of the two headunits above?

I'm looking to replace my Pioneer which will not automatically connect to my iPhone 4 and keeps "Error 80"ing when it is connected but neither of them have a fixed remote although the Kenwood does have a card remote which is probably as illegal as holding the phone on the move.

The Kenwood seems better specced but I'm told the Alpine is easier to use.

I'm looking for the following in descending order of importance aside from good music quality (ClassicFM mainly):
BT Handsfree Phone use
iPhone connectivity
Fixed Remote
USB drive option (Front and/or Rear)
Automatic noise leveller (I have this on my Pioneer and it sort of works OK but could be better!)
BT streaming music (is this any good?)

Can anyone advise please or even suggest something better? I'm looking to spend under £200.
Old 02 August 2011, 08:46 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat as you mate ......

Finally decided to go for the Alpine CDE-126BT in the end Just waiting for a mate to come back with a decent price
Old 03 August 2011, 02:06 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

the kenwood would be my choice as i have a similar model, the navigation & looks is a lot more pleasant i find than the alpine, but either sound really good & are good quality. You will be happy with either
Old 04 August 2011, 03:17 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Alpine, I have a Kenwood unit and the sound quality and functionaility is nowhere near as good as the Alpines I've had in the past.
Old 05 August 2011, 12:19 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Alpine as above, I have a kenwood and the sound is not the best.
Old 05 August 2011, 08:45 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Now I'm getting confused

The reason that Kenwood was on my shortlist was sound quality and now you're telling me not so good.

Can anyone comment on the sensitivity of the radios of these two options regarding poor signals because I've found that ClassicFM does not have the best signal quality in the world and it is frequently distorted?

Thanks for the feedback by the way.
Old 05 August 2011, 12:07 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

The Kenwood is ok sound wise but its knocked into a cocked hat by a decent Alpine.

To put this into perspective I have the DNX 7200 which was one of Kenwoods top of the range DVD/Sat nav combos at the time.

I really like my car audio so I built a fairly big system.

The front components were bi-amped with two Kenwood Amps and I had two 12inch Kenwood subs powered by a Kenwood amp designed specifically for subs.

The long and short of it is I was dissapointed I couldnt get the right sound using the Kenwood head unit. There wasn't enough flexibility in the crossovers and the low pass for the sub didnt drop low enough. With the Kenwood you could only adjust the frequency with the Alpine you could adjust the frequency and the slope of the cross over.

In short with the £300 Alpine Unit I could get the ssound as I wanted it i.e to suit the car. With an £800 Kenwood unit I couldnt. Don't get me wrong it still sounds very nice just nowhere near as good as it did with the Alpine.

Hope that helps

Daz
Old 05 August 2011, 12:42 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know how the Alpine CDE-126BT plays the music from your iphone!
Does it stream it via bluetooth or is it via a dedicated Iphone wire which comes out of the back of the unit, or just via the front USB. Also is it possible to have your Ipod connected as well as use your iphone via blutooth
Old 05 August 2011, 01:14 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
The Kenwood is ok sound wise but its knocked into a cocked hat by a decent Alpine.

Daz
Thanks Daz. I only intend to use standard door speakers initially possibly followed by a relatively minor upgrade to better compnent fronts so am wondering if I will notice any real difference between the Kenwood and Alpine.

Originally Posted by WarrenSTI
Does anyone know how the Alpine CDE-126BT plays the music from your iphone!
Does it stream it via bluetooth or is it via a dedicated Iphone wire which comes out of the back of the unit, or just via the front USB. Also is it possible to have your Ipod connected as well as use your iphone via blutooth
Warren

I'm pretty certain that you can't stream music via bluetooth on the Alpine but you can on the Kenwood. You need a separate cable interface (not normally included) to connect the iPhone and to have control over it. Also, with Apple's control freak attitude, I'm guessing the USB interface wouldn't work as I can't seem to access my iPhone music via USB on my PC.
Old 05 August 2011, 01:46 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

just to confuse matters i have the BT61 and it's fine.. connects up to my HTC within seconds everytime.. also the remote is easy to use and i now don't even have to look at it when i use it.. bin the standard speakers though.. the sound is diabolical!!
Old 05 August 2011, 03:11 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

gonna be picking up the alpine 126bt next week for £149+vat inc ipod lead
Old 06 August 2011, 12:19 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darms
gonna be picking up the alpine 126bt next week for £149+vat inc ipod lead
Good price! I've been looking at the spec think I'll go for one myself
Old 31 August 2011, 07:30 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Just wanted to revive this thread and see how people are getting on with the Alpine that they purchased? Also considering buying one of these soon
Old 17 September 2011, 05:44 PM
yviamprie
Scooby Regular

Alpine all the way for me, mine streams music no probs i just depends which Bluetooth module you have.
Old 17 September 2011, 06:39 PM
oobyJu
Scooby Regular

My Alpine is great, just wish the buttons were not so bright even when dimmed but sounds awesome
Old 20 September 2011, 12:45 PM
WarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilbo
Just wanted to revive this thread and see how people are getting on with the Alpine that they purchased? Also considering buying one of these soon
To be honest still not round to buying one! just been making some enquires this week. The guy at the shop I spoke to recomends the alpine 114bti, I have had quick look round on the net and I think this is an older model than the 126BT. May be he's just trying to get rid of old stock!

what I require of my head unit is full bluetooth from my Iphone 4 (via the built in parrot kit on the alpine) and my ipod connected via the rear socket on the head unit so that its kept out of sight in the flap underneath the stereo. I assume that this is possible with the 126BT! correct me if I'm wrong

Ta Warren
Old 28 January 2012, 04:13 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Finally!! Just fitted the new Alpine CDE 133BT and first impressions on the radio sound quality are favourable but need to work out all the other music options.

Doesn't have a steering wheel or wired remote which is a big negative so will have to get used to it in real life with regard to phone use. Does have streaming BT over the 126 which is how I will probably use it although you can use the standard iPhone USB connector as well which charges - useful for long journeys to keep my Witness app running.