ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

oops Speakers don't fit

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2002, 12:49 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I asked around in a couple of car audio stores about which speakers would fit my 02 STI UK, I was told 16cm is what I was after, Halfords in Belfast had a 20% sale here this weekend so perfect opportunity!!

Went to halfords Parted with a couple of hundred quid got some speakers, Alpine 175 components for front, and kicker I600 for rear.

Tried the front speakers in yesterday, thought a bit tricky but I am sure I'll manage, then went to fit then today..........This time with window down..

They don't bloody fit front or rear !!!!!!!!

What'll I do now?

Andy

{Should have just bought them and had them fitted in one of the car audio shops.}

Old 02 April 2002, 01:01 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> What'll I do now?

take 'em back to Halfords?
Old 02 April 2002, 01:34 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Arrow

Can you not make up an MDF spacer to fit the speakers into then fit it all to the door?
Old 02 April 2002, 01:41 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

.>>>>>>>take 'em back to Halfords? >>>>Already fitted the tweeters and chopped the wire on them.

MDF Spacer???????

Old 02 April 2002, 05:27 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Will using an MDF spacer mean chopping the speaker grill on the door card?
Old 02 April 2002, 06:37 PM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have just fitted a set of Infinity 605cs mids and tweets in a 2002 Impreza, they are very similar to the Alpines except the Alpine tweeters are a bit brighter and the midbass driver is deeper. With this in mind i would fit the tweeters in the plastic trim in each footwell and angle them up and in. Try a few different locations and judge for youyself.

I fitted the x-overs in the car rather than in the door to keep them dry so i had to run 2 lengths of OFC speaker cable into the doors as the tweeters went into the doors too.

I had to make spacers (mounting rings) from MDF to fit the midbass drivers due to the depth problem. I first made them from 18mm MDF but found that when the door panels went back on, the speaker cones were hitting the panel when playing. I then made some rings from 12mm MDF and they worked a treat, The window didn't touch them and they didn't touch the door panel. lovely. The Alpine midbass drivers are a bit deeper than the Infinity's so you may have to go for 15mm mdf if that thickness is available. I think you get a perforated card ring that you can push out of the box. You can use this as a template for your MDF rings. No chopping of anything is required, all you need to do is drill 4 new holes to screw the new mounting ring and speaker to the doors.
Be sure that the new cables can't get snagged by the window or it's mech. It's also a very good idea to loom them up (wrap it/them in insulation/electrical tape) from inside the car to inside the door.

For the tweeters, I simply fitted them in place of the originals.

Try to do the same thing with the rear door speakers if you can but i reckon it will be alot harder. I'd be inclined to return those speakers and swap them for some 2 way speakers the same size as the factory items fitted. You can use the factory cables for them.
Either that or just get a refund (they will give you a refund as long as they are in A1 condition. I should know, I work for Halfords) and stick with the factory items. I would buy a pair of capacitors to knock out the bass from about 150hz and under.

Edited cos i forgot the rears.

[Edited by audio g man - 4/2/2002 7:55:40 PM]