Pioneer Question, Latest Head Unit and/or 7" Display

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2002, 01:33 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This question is really aimed at peolple who know Pioneer kit, or sell it

I am looking to replace the useless ICE in my STi7. I read in this months Total Car Audio that Pioneer have a new head unit due out in May, the DEH-P8400R. I really like the look of this head unit and will probably buy it!

Now, I have the double din issue and don't particularly want to fill it with a glasses compartment, I think it looks tacky and don't like it. So I am thinking of getting the Pioneer 7300 7" display as well with possibly some sat-nav backing it up.

My question is. Do I need to invest in the AV master unit, to run options such as multi-DVD, multi-CD, sat-nav, and possibly my PS2 if I get that bored Or can I run it off the head unit itself.

Bearing in mind, I am reasonably convinced in my own mind that I am going to go component speakers with the usual crossovers and amps business, would it still be feasable to run all this stuff of the main CD-head unit.

Quite a lot to swollow, and if all this sounds rubbish, it's caus I ain't got a clue what I am talking about....

Any help here would be most useful in helping me decide which way to go.

There must be a good number of you out there running Pioneer head units with screens attached, if it is possible?

Cheers

Simon
Old 26 March 2002, 08:06 PM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

You will need an AV mater unit to go with the AVXW7300/AVXP7300DVD, only then will you be able to connect other sources + navi + games console and run the speakers but it's only single din. You could also buy an 8400 just to fill the space but it's a rather expensive hole filler-uppera. If you won't use a pocket, you could always make something up to to blank off the hole or buy a double din h/u.
Old 27 March 2002, 07:22 AM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Audio G Man

So what are you saying then, the 8400 is not necessary at all once you have an AV Master? So all the functions of the CD Head Unit, can be replicated with the screen and AV Master?

If so, then you are right, one hell of an expensive hole filler.

Cheers

Simon
Old 29 March 2002, 01:49 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you purchase a Pioneer pop out screen head unit with or without a built in cd player you will need one of their av master units to go with it. You can add a CD changer, DVD player, VHS player, games console, navigation, TV tuner, more screens. most of those items have to be made by Pioneer due to their IP Bus connection method and they all plug into the av master. You won't need any other head unit to go with it.
Old 29 March 2002, 08:04 AM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Cheers Audio Man, most helpful...

Simon
Old 29 March 2002, 09:44 PM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

Anytime.
Get yourself a Pioneer catalogue for more info.
Bear in mind that Pioneer and others are currently changing or have very recently changed their product ranges.
Old 29 March 2002, 10:14 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I know. AV9000R now seems to be the latest greatest. Although I read yesterday on their website, they have the Sat Nav unit with the in-built AV master capabilities, pricy though.

Still don't know whether Pioneer is the best way to go. Probably going to make it to Doncaster later in April, and have a look at the Audio stands there, might even pick up a good deal whilst there

Cheers

Simon
Old 30 March 2002, 06:53 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

simon,

they dont have a sat nav with built in av master to my knowledge.

They have two dvd based sat nav models the avic 8 and the avic 9, the 9 is capable of playing cds video dvds etc. the 8 is just a dvd rom.

I think both can connect directly to a screen, but is not capable of controllling everything like the av master.

If you can prove me wrong, please do, I havent taken delivery of my avi c9 and master yet so would prefer an all in one.
Old 08 April 2002, 03:19 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Adam

Will get back another reply to this thread shortly, just got back from a skiing holiday so just catching up with emails and stuff. I will have a look at some material I have got, as I am sure I read a week or so ago about a new all in one unit....

Could be wrong though...

Cheers

Simon