Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ICE Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2001, 05:04 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'm new to this lark. I have an MY99 with a crap Phillips single CD/tuner, and the original Subaru speakers. The CD player has virtually given up the ghost - keeps getting in a tiz if I want to play beyond the middle of track 1 on any CD. The tuner isn't great for clarity. The sound is pretty poor, definitely not hi-fi!
How can I improve the set-up for a budget of around £500?
I guess speakers with tweeters might be a start. Then what? Where to shop? Are Halfords okay? I have Paula Marks just down the road - do they know their stuff? Is it worth trying to fit myself?
Thanks for any help!
Old 14 August 2001, 05:24 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replace those speakers, they're really bad. You can get a decent set of aftermarket components for around £100. Presuming your 99MY is the same as my 98MY, you can take out the (standard?) Philips head unit with the aid of some head unit removal thingies, about £2 from Halfords. Just plug the bits into yout new unit and put it in the hole. Chiark has excellent instructions including photos on his site. You probably have about £200 spare after that depending on the unit you buy, for an extra £100 you could get an amp and sub+box, but you'll need cable, plugs etc on top.

Steve.
Old 14 August 2001, 05:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Infinity 605CS £93
4 channel Kenwood/Alpine/Sony etc amp £150
Headunit £160
Cables/soundproofing £100
Sub/box £75

leaves £22 for a meal out (albeit a crap one) with your long-suffering wife or girlfriend if you have the misfortune...

Or spend more on the sub

Above is if £500 is all you ever want to spend. If you want to do it in stages, there are other options - ie just spend £500 on your CD tuner and front speakers. But you would later need to spend at least that again to realise gains on more expensive components. Don't do anything with the rear speakers - waste of time and money and knuckles and it sounds crap.
Old 16 August 2001, 11:49 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mungo,

I have my reasons for not using Paula Marks, but that was nearly 8 years ago! Also they are not as cheap as Halfords, back of Max Power, etc.

The headunit is very easy to change as there are standard ISO connectors in the Subaru, and will plug straight into the back of most new stereos. As I normally lose things, I use a couple of long nails to remove the stereo!!

You can probably get a very good big name CD Tuner (Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, etc) for £300-350. With the difference you can get reasonable big name speakers for the front doors and the rear shelf. I suggest this, to gain good sound quality (as it seems to an issue), rather than suggesting cheaper equipment to get an amplifier as well.

For the doors, you need to remove the window opening mechanisms (lift from the front of the unit) and undo a few screws. The door panel will just lift off.

If you need to cut the rear shelf you will need to remove the rear seats! 6"x9" speakers will fit on the rear shelf, as will 8" speakers. If you want the standard grills in place, then go for 6.5" speakers.

If you plan to amp your system, then only upgrade the front speakers, and buy some of the better (more expensive) front component speakers.

There are so many options for £500, it really depends on if you want an amplifier, a subsoofer, all standard speakers upgraded or just the fronts, what specification/features you want on the headunit, etc, etc.

Sorry if that's not a definitive answer.

Cheers
Andy

Ps - I was trying to be diplomatic, and not say "how long is a piece of string?"

Old 16 August 2001, 02:37 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Hi Chaps
Thanks so far - now I need some more help (I've also checked out Chiark's website - quite a bit of content missing?).
I don't think I want a sub-woofer, and I've got a wagon, so no chance of speakers on the parcel shelf! Also, only sounds like it's worth upgrading the front speakers.
Q1 - is there any point in getting an amp if I don't want a sub?
Q2 - Does the cabling need upgrading if I don't get an amp?

Re Paula Marks, you're the second person to advise against.

Cheers
Guy
Old 16 August 2001, 02:57 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

My fronts sound much better amplified, to get any decent volume out of them without an amp you have to crank up your head unit quite a lot and you run the risk of it clipping and breaking your speakers. Depending on how much if an ICE-bandit you are ( ) you might want to upgrade in future too, so it may come in useful. Depends what you want really. Cabling the fronts was a bit of a pain in the 4rse, but it will only cost you the price of the cable and some skinned knuckles.

Steve.
Old 16 August 2001, 08:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think my adding up is a bit dodgy - too much wine when I last posted me thinx. Anyway, if you just put some good power handling quality 6.5" components in the front and use a physically small but powerful 2 or 4 channel amp, you may well have as good a sound as many people's sub setups. Certainly comparing the bass from Infinity 605CS to some sub setups I've heard, they will hold their head up with pride. So definitely get an amp - it need not take much space at all. Agree with Steve re cable.
Old 16 August 2001, 11:50 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Mungo
I've got a MY99 wagon & have upgraded the ice,i did the speaker's 1st(big improvement on the fronts not as much on the rears)then as i only had the standard cassette/tuner i put in a new head unit + cd changer(better again)
The last thing i did was put in a 10" sub(small enclosure) + amp and that IMHO transformed the whole system/sound.
My advice is do it in stages as i've done & get a sub,you won't regret it

CHEERS SCD Simon