ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

where to mount tweeters ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2009, 12:04 AM
dirk dangler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to mount tweeters ?

as above in a classic scooby. ive never used tweeters before so where`s the best postion? cheers
Old 06 April 2009, 01:12 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

technically as close to the woofer as possible to maintain a good stereo image easy to fit them in the factory locations in the door though
Old 24 April 2009, 07:53 PM
Jubbly boy
Scooby Regular

On talk audio a very large proportion of people are mounting them on the pillars as it saves trying to mount the crossover in the door where it will get wet
Old 28 April 2009, 01:10 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

mounted mine by the seat belt at the bootom close 2 the bolster of chair sounds great also hid the crossover behind plastic ,some people have said it may be a bit far from speaker but i ithink it sounds mint
Old 28 April 2009, 08:06 PM
Jubbly boy
Scooby Regular

i think you have a record there as the only person to mount one there!

if it sounds mint there imagine what it would sound like if you did it in the right place
Old 02 May 2009, 08:24 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jubbly boy
i think you have a record there as the only person to mount one there!

if it sounds mint there imagine what it would sound like if you did it in the right place
lol but agree
Old 03 May 2009, 09:00 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Where your door mirrors are mounted but angle both of the tweeters towards the centre of the car.

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2009, 10:19 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

i have popped the little vents in the top of the dash out, put tweeters in there, modified the vents covers so there not so deep and refitted. vets still funtional, and it looks stelth so the scummy little chavs dont see you have added stereo stuff!
Old 03 May 2009, 10:47 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Hate to say this mate but will probably not sound too good.

You won't believe the difference correctly placed tweeters make.

I've spent several hundreds on car Audio and I've never been happy with how it sounded.
I had my tweeters mounted in the door handle grill (my99) and it sounded appauling.

It wasn't until a mate of mine came round who happens to be proper into audio (Im talking cables that he has are £1000 a metre!!!) had a listen and suggested putting them on the inside of where the door mirrors are mounted but angle them so they point slightly backwards. If you could draw a line from each they would meet at the arm rest if that makes sense.

Anyway the difference was incredible and it just brought everything alive. The imaging was finally perfect.

Food for thought.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:51 AM
Jubbly boy
Scooby Regular

trouble with that is the plastic trim that you mount to will pop off in 2 seconds if someone wants to take them as they are not screwed down!

i've just bought a set of rainbow sax 625's and i removed the factory mounted tweeter from the metal bracket and fitted the rainbow tweeter to it. probably not the best but it saved me making a new mount in the pillars or on the mirror trim which would take weeks to finish.

mounting the main speaker is a nighmare as it is too deep so you have to use something like 24mm of mdf spacers and modify the door card

so starting that today.
Old 04 May 2009, 07:24 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

If someone wants to take your speakers they'll take them. A classic door card will pop off in a couple of seconds.

You only asked where is the best place to fit them. I am asuming that question was based on where to mount for best sound not where to mount that was easiest or where to mount where they are less prone to theft.

18mm works for me with my 6.5inch bi amped KEF's.
Old 04 May 2009, 08:53 PM
Jubbly boy
Scooby Regular

think you are getting me mixed up with the original poster, i never asked where to fit them.

bug eye door card is a bit more involved

the thickness of the spacer will vary from speaker to speaker as they have different depths!

as for the £1000 a metre get real, there is a point of diminishing returns!! for example if you look at Richer Sounds, their speaker cables max's out at £10 a metre and there is not much they don't know about hi fi, and before you say it there is no difference between car speaker cable and home hi fi they both do the same job.

Last edited by Jubbly boy; 04 May 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05 May 2009, 08:58 AM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

just wondered if it was possible...

jorma prime
Old 05 May 2009, 07:45 PM
Jubbly boy
Scooby Regular

who in their right mind would spend that much on cables, lets be realistic.

you can go into any hifi shop and check out interconnects and you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between a £30 pair and a £100 pair.

i tried it as i would have bought the £100 ones if the difference was that noticable i could hardly tell the difference.

if you were an instrument tuner maybe, but to the normal person you can't notice the difference.
Old 06 May 2009, 06:39 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

yeah i wouldn't either!
Old 06 May 2009, 10:23 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jubbly boy
who in their right mind would spend that much on cables, lets be realistic.

you can go into any hifi shop and check out interconnects and you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between a £30 pair and a £100 pair.

i tried it as i would have bought the £100 ones if the difference was that noticable i could hardly tell the difference.

if you were an instrument tuner maybe, but to the normal person you can't notice the difference.
Clearly you know very little about Hi end audio i'm sorry to say
When you have a £30K worth of Musical Fidelity kit and £15K worth of ProAc speakers. You can certainly tell the difference between cheap cables and the good stuff.

I thought all of this was bollocks too until my mate demonstrated the difference between a £100 Monster cable and £1000 worth of Nordost Val Halla cable

Remember were not talking the difference between £30 and £100 cables here.

HDMI cables are the same. You can get one for £20 quid or you can go get one for £200 The difference on a Hi Def projector is astonoshing.

Another mate of mine has a nu vista valve stage in his car. He's got 2 JL w6's two Genesis profile sub amps and two Profile 2 amps which just power bi amped Kef Uni Q's and it sounds incredible.

Both of these guys spend thousands and thousands on Audio and through their simple advice my cheap by comparison system in my car sounds excellent.
Old 06 May 2009, 10:26 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

About Bealescooby's reply...

Actually, I'm currently building a pair of enclosures for a set of planar transducer tweeters in exactly the same place - lower B pillar trim. Granted, it has more to do with not having a more suitable place this side of cutting the dash to bits, but I've been told that positioning isn't as essential as for these as for traditional cone type speakers anyhow, so it will be an interesting experiment!