Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sub positioning?

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2001, 04:16 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the best position for a Sub facing?

I currently have the subs facing towards the boot exit (ie NOT facing towards the back of the seat) I was looking to purchase a couple of second subs imminently but my only concern was that they are facing upwards, at a slight angle only. This works fine in some cars but I dont know what the sound was like in a Subaru?

Any comments
Old 06 August 2001, 05:09 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cool

For best sound/performance, the sub should face towards the back of the car, as you say. You've got them right at the moment

IMHO anyway. Maybe John or Chiark can enlighten further.....
Old 06 August 2001, 05:42 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

In my old Subaru I tried several different sub configurations:

2 * 10" Rockford Subwoofer, in a box subs at an angle pointing out towards the back of the car. This sort of box, but sealed instead of ported, and no screen in front of the cones. Lot's of depth, but some of the definition wasn't there.

2 * 10" Alpine Subwoofer, in same box. Less depth, but more punch! - My favourite solution, but the bax was too big!! My brother now has the box in the back of his Micra!! If he's lucky, he can fit a jacket in the boot as well!! I'll scan a photo of the box in my boot.

2 * 10" Alpine Subwoofer, in a horizontal box. Both pointing up. More definition in the bass, but lost even more depth! - this configuration would have worked better if I removed the rear speakers, but I wanted to keep some of the rear fill!

2 * 10" Alpine Subwoofer, each in their own box, and pointing towards the back seat. Too much depth, and sounded dirty and muffled!

2 * 10" Alpine Subwoofer, again in the their own box, and pointing towards the boot lid. Much cleaner sound, nice blend of depth and punch.

Just to be different again, I've got a 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch subwoofer, and I'll be using a stealthbox this time.
Old 06 August 2001, 06:11 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

This was my set up in a MY98

[This message has been edited by Pbone (edited 08 August 2001).]
Old 06 August 2001, 08:46 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

A short rule of thumb is to try and fire the subs into as open a space as possible. That's assuming that the subs don't like to be front-loaded...

There's no hard and fast answer as it will depend on your subs, but mine work well firing straight back-ish.
Old 06 August 2001, 10:32 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I've had subs doing all sorts over the years, facing straight into the back seats, through the ski hatch, ported up through the rear parcel shelf, firing across the car as well as backwards towards the boot.

Depends on the car, depends on the sub. Any can sound great, all have the possibility of sounding awful!

My current sub is central and facing backwards which sounds pretty good, but it is time aligned!

Towards the rear usually gives you the greates 'cabin gain' boost at the lower frequencies and does seem to work well in the scoob. In my Mondeo it was awful which is why I ended up firing it from left to right. Experiment is the only real solution.

Oh and if you still want to see/hear the car (and buy my 7939!) drop me a line. I'll be at Bedford on Friday.
Old 07 August 2001, 04:55 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone - mailed now offline

Kryten - yes I am still interested on both counts - just that I'm all over the States most of the time - currently now in Washington DC! - back soon though.....
Old 07 August 2001, 05:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I don't know about the best sub orientation but they look bloomin' fantastic!
Old 07 August 2001, 08:16 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Look like rather nice subs Steve

Stick them in and have a listen what they sound like.

Are the boxes the correct volume?

Martin