Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Is a door ,too large an enclosure for 6.5nspeakers????

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2002, 02:19 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could a door be too big??? and if so how could you make up some type of enclosure???
Old 19 February 2002, 02:33 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Door? Which door?
I doubt it... and I think the enclosure going from large to small is rather easier than the other way round
Old 19 February 2002, 06:32 PM
Luke
BANNED

Thought about the fact that its got more volume than an average Home speaker. And difficult to seal.I am thinking about making some door builds that are fully sealed and run along the bottom of the doors instead of the "Map and chocolate tray" thing!!
Old 19 February 2002, 06:36 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Luke,

I've done that to fantastic effect in my previous cars (Xantia and 406). I removed the bizarre pocket affairs and build a completely sealed cabinet. I also angled the speaker, so it aimed at the centre of the sunroof. The end result was a fantastic increase in sound definition and bucketloads of mid-bass. Plus, with the angle on the speaker, the imaging was bloody marvellous Necromax will vouch for the sound, I hope? (You out there mate?)

I'm toying with doing the same thing on my Legacy, but can't face breaking the door panels, since they're leather, and £170 each! I might just replace the grille area, but it's not going to be as good and i know it

One thing though - do make the cabinet sealed - replacing the speaker mountings with MDF makes a huge difference, but sealing the cabinet stops you losing sound into the door cavity. HUGE difference
Old 19 February 2002, 06:41 PM
Luke
BANNED

"Thats My boy"!! Care to tell me how you did it??
Old 19 February 2002, 10:37 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ah, now that would be telling

But seriously, it's not _that_ difficult. The door cards on 406's and Xantia's are two-piece - the top and the pocket. So, having split the pocket off the main door, "all" I had to do was build a cabinet to take its' place.

If you have a similar set-up, I can either explain what I did, or I can comment on your set-up, if you can post a piccy or seven?
Old 24 February 2002, 11:45 AM
spence7
Scooby Regular

So would you be on about fitting 6.5" speakers to the front doors yeh? And the door card thingies you're on about, they;re the steel plates which the scooby speakers mount in which bolt to the steel? Am I wrong? (see Big Lebowski on DVD for humour)

Do you know if I could do a similar trick with 6x9s as I did in the rear? i.e. Mount the cones on a 1/2" or so thick MDF oval, so as to levititate them enough so they fit in the round hole in the steel work. Would I have to do a similar thing with the fronts if I wanted 6X9s ?

Sorry to change the subject
Old 24 February 2002, 11:53 AM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Not a problem - subject changes are allowed But, you haven't quite got the right end of the stick.

The door card is the trim panel which covers the metal framework of the door. What we're burbling on about is creating a sealed cabinet for the front speakers, so that they run better and you lose less sound to the outside world. Luke suggested that the whole door space could be used, but it's basically too difficult to seal it. Plus, it's a bit big.

So, the suggestion is to remove the door-pocket and speaker grille, replacing it with a small sealed cabinet made from MDF - much like a home hi-fi speaker. End result is a much richer sound, and less advertising, to the outside world, that you've got a silly stereo

As mentioned on quite a few other posts in this section, you CAN find ways to fit 6*9's to the front doors (usually using spacers as you mentioned) but 6*9's really aren't an ideal speaker to use, because of their sound compromises. You'd be much better off spending reasonable cash on a set of 6.5" components for the front doors, and spending time fitting them properly
Old 24 February 2002, 12:12 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

ah right ok....so you're saying permanently remove the door pockets and grille so to give room for a small cabinet? Or just for the purpose of fitting so as to not have to take the whole trim off ?

I might do that then but I don't intend on using a sub so I need as much bass as possible from my four speakers. My jbls at the back go down to 25hz so I'm thinking about sealing them as well and using a cabinet...but then the front wouldn't be very bassy in comparison ! I dunno - I was kind of hoping I could fir 6x9s at the front using a spacer..AND doing the proper sealing job with cabinets...if feasible (!)

Old 24 February 2002, 12:26 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Can anyone recommmend some 6.5s then ? I have 250W Power series JBLs in at the back, so I take it if I want to keep f/r fade the same, I'd have to get 250W fronts as well so as to not blow em?
Old 25 February 2002, 04:56 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

For a door build, has anyone ever come across anywhere that sells a cover (as in material) that matches the scoob door? So the build would blend in with the classy surroundings