Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Afternoon ICE Help

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2001, 05:36 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Just in the process of pulling out the std. Philips head and CD Changer to replace it with my Alpine stuff (UK MY99).

Two questions...

1) There is what looks to be an extra earth lead that attaches to the back of the Philips head unit. I can't see anywhere on the Alpine to attach it too - is it just a Philips specfic thing or does it do something important?

2) The Alpine manual recommends pulling the -tive connector off the battery before plugging it in. Will this screw up the alarm / immob? (Std. Subaru UK fit).

TIA,

ChrisB.
Old 22 July 2001, 05:51 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I had to make a similar post in January whilst putting my CD player in. Those in the know said to just tape up the extra lead and forget about it, so I did no prob's. Still not sure what it was though. The alarm has its own battery back up so should be OK.

Old 22 July 2001, 06:38 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Re:2 - everything says this. I have never bothered, and have yet to blow anything up.

It's one of those "cover your ***" type statements that I ignore, partly as I believe the "shock" of reconnecting the ground in a less than perfect way is potentially damaging for sensitive components, such as alarm/ecu etc....

I'd ignore it, but it's at your risk, etc.
Old 22 July 2001, 07:31 PM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

Cheers guys.

I ignored both and I'm still here!

Only problem now is the Alpine stuff makes the speakers sound even worse. Best get those Infinitys sorted out I think!

Thanks again,

ChrisB.
Old 22 July 2001, 07:45 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

You'll need an amp M8 before your finished

I might just have the very thing...

Martin
Old 22 July 2001, 10:19 PM
ChrisB

LOL

Hmm, I don't suppose you know somebody selling something do you?

ChrisB.
Old 22 July 2001, 10:29 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nick,I'm shocked.I know you know what you're doing.I know I know what I'm doing.But those instructions are for the novice,and some really bad things can happen during install if the power is live.
I must say that I don't bother either because I know exactly what's what in there.But if you're not so sure,by all means,do unhook the negative terminal until you know things are right.
I've made many mistakes in the past and this was one of them.Play it safe.
Old 23 July 2001, 08:15 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by rockin'Ru:
<B>Nick,I'm shocked.[/quote]
Insert pun here

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>But those instructions are for the novice,and some really bad things can happen during install if the power is live.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I know. But! Could worse things happen by someone clumsily messing with the battery terminals, sparking them out thus frying their alarm (clifford alarms really don't like non-smooth powerups) or ecu?

Or by leaving the spanner that they were working with near terminals. I've seen a spanner melted by shorting across battery terminals...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
But if you're not so sure,by all means,do unhook the negative terminal until you know things are right.
I've made many mistakes in the past and this was one of them.Play it safe. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advice. The instruction is there for a reason: to stop you doing something stupid. If you don't disconnect the -ve, check many many times before plugging anything in.

Cheers for pointing that out Steve, you're absolutely right.

[This message has been edited by chiark (edited 23 July 2001).]
Old 25 July 2001, 09:34 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify - which power leads do you take of the battery(ie +/-ve), and in which order to avoid the "sparking" effect??

Its an important thing so worth clarifying...

Jza
Old 25 July 2001, 10:05 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You only need to remove the negative - you don't need to touch the +ve, so leave it all nicely covered up.

To avoid sparking as much as possible, remove the nut off the negative terminal whilst holding down the connections in order for them to continue making contact, then whip the connections off smoothly and cleanly.

To re-make the connection, apply a bit of conducting grease, then slide back on. Hold the connections on whilst you tighten the nut back up.

Nick.
Old 25 July 2001, 11:54 AM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Nick

What happens with the majority of car alarms when you disconnect the battery? Is this not seen as an attempt to nick the car?

I think cliffird recommends putting oit into valet mode although I may be wrong

Martin