Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fixing a twin 12 inch sub enclosure in the boot ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2008, 08:33 PM
Gaity
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing a twin 12 inch sub enclosure in the boot ?

Hello all,

What's the best way to fix a twin 12 inch sub enclosure in the boot

I've heard that some people use "No More Nails" to stick down some MDF under the carpet and then fix some brackets to the sub enclosure and screw into the MDF.

Are there any other ways to do this

Cheers Scoobs ...
Old 20 May 2008, 08:39 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

I'd use Jumbo Bungee Straps Multipack from Halfords Price £9.99 with the hooks on the horizontal brakets off the backseat backrest you will see what mean when you look in the boot.
Old 28 May 2008, 08:27 PM
Gaity
Scooby Regular

C'mon guys 'n' gals, someone else must have fitted a sub enclosure in their boot and has some alternatives to securing it

The problem I see with sticking down some MDF is that underneath the carpet the boot is quite un-even and I don't see how you will get enough contact between the glue and the MDF...

Advice would be much appreciated
Old 28 May 2008, 09:25 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Piece of thick foam on the boot floor. 3 Shelving brackets bolted to the top of the box, and then hooked in under the boot's suspenders (if that makes sense) then if you feel the need, fix the brackets to the metal in the top of the boot.
Old 28 May 2008, 11:36 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Haven't got any pictures but I made a false floor in the boot, used 2 pieces of MDF, cut them to shape, one piece for the back of the boot, one for the front, cut out the shape of the box so half was the shape of the back piece, half was the shape of the front.

Carpeted the lot, put the boards in and the box fits perfectly in the middle, the MDF doesn't move as it's cut to the right shape of the boot and the box is the same and doesn't go anywhere.

All my cables are hidden under the MDF after I drilled some holes for them, and I've screwed the amps to the board.

Still got the original boot carpet underneath and I haven't made any mods to the actual car. Has been fine for the last 4 years in the same car, and looks pretty good too

It's also easy to take out, 10mins and the whole lot is out the car. Bit of work to make it look pretty (for me, not for shows or anything chavvy).
Old 28 May 2008, 11:48 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I have twin subs built into a false floor behind the passenger front seat which leaves me with all of my boot space.Only problem is that it raises the floor to the height of the transmission tunnel (on one side) which isnt a problem as the baby sits there.Might not be what you are looking for but might offer an alternative if you dont carry rear seat passengers much

Covered

Last edited by scooby-tc; 29 May 2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 29 May 2008, 12:00 AM
emma-uk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Gaity
Hello all,

What's the best way to fix a twin 12 inch sub enclosure in the boot

I've heard that some people use "No More Nails" to stick down some MDF under the carpet and then fix some brackets to the sub enclosure and screw into the MDF.

Are there any other ways to do this

Cheers Scoobs ...
What subs are you using

best
ken
Old 29 May 2008, 10:45 AM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

In previous cars ive just drilled holes through the bottom of the sub box and drilled holes in the boot floor(spare wheel were underneath on that though so the box didnt need to come out)then bolted through the lot then tigersealed over the bolt heads on the inside so it dont leak air at all-if someone breaks into ya car they can take ya sub " if " theyve got time to undo about 8-10 screws round it but without alot of aggro wont get ya box.
Old 29 May 2008, 06:46 PM
Gaity
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone.

I've also heard that some people use industrial strength velcro and someone has also used their own car jack to push down on the sub enclosure from the metal of the rear parcel shelf! I just tried this very quickly and believe it or not it actually works a treat

I've got some MDF, bungee straps and a car jack handy so I will sort out the fixture tomorrow.

Cheers all
Old 30 May 2008, 08:29 AM
Big_Dan531
Scooby Regular

if u get a doucble sub enclsure is should not fit between the rear struts just sand the corners down a bit and wedge it in there thats all i have done though i do have a full install so the false floor holds it now but thats how i used to have it befroe the install
Old 30 May 2008, 11:38 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
I have twin subs built into a false floor behind the passenger front seat which leaves me with all of my boot space.Only problem is that it raises the floor to the height of the transmission tunnel (on one side) which isnt a problem as the baby sits there.Might not be what you are looking for but might offer an alternative if you dont carry rear seat passengers much

Covered

lol, "baby boom"