Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2008, 09:34 AM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound deadening

Hi

looking to quieten the Sccoby down a bit as it is used as a daily driver and is fast becoming the preferred choice as the family car.

Only complaint is that although it handles well, is fast etc it is not quiet and why did I not buy a European car? It is perfect in 5th and 6th but in the mountain roads 3rd and 4th gear are a bit loud. have to turn the music up loud which then leads to complaints as the kids then get deafened.

I want to prove that a Scooby can be made quieter, The car has some Dynamat in the boot above the exhaust area, but I was thinking about extending across all the boot and into the cabin.

Should I continue with Dynamat or should i try something else and where can I source from at reasonabe price, to be shipped to Cyprus?

Thanks
Old 14 May 2008, 07:36 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Dynamat Extreme would be my prefered choice, you won't need as much for effective sound proofing as some stuff as it's far better at the job using only a single sheet, so you will save weight and money in the long run because you won't be using as much
Old 14 May 2008, 09:45 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

Has to be noisekiller. Not only does it reduce the noise it also reduces underfeet vibration so the suspension feels a little better too. I think they are on Noisekiller UK - Car Soundproofing - Vehicle, Industrial, and Marine Sound Proofing. Had my sound deading done by these and it's a lot better.
Old 14 May 2008, 05:37 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

a lot better than the industry leader in noise reduction? considering the dynamat pioneered the way to sound proofing in cars that's i big statement to make,

have you ever used dynamat and back to back tested with a noise meter to know that noisekiller is the better product?
Old 15 May 2008, 05:09 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
a lot better than the industry leader in noise reduction? considering the dynamat pioneered the way to sound proofing in cars that's i big statement to make,

have you ever used dynamat and back to back tested with a noise meter to know that noisekiller is the better product?
woh woh calm down. Re-read my email I said a lot better (Lol e.g than what was there before). I didn't say a lot better than dynamat but I have had dynamat fitted in other cars and yes I do actually have a sound meter but I'm not so a-na-l to use it to compare as I would need to fully fit the dynamat as these guys do in the boot, under the carpets, etc then take it out and redo for their stuff.

I use a lot of sound proofing in my home recording studio and you will know that a certain thickness of material can only absorb certain amount of sound waves. Noisekiller stuff is very good and I would use it again over dynamat thats for sure but I quote I didn't say it was a lot better than 'dynamat' .
Old 15 May 2008, 11:34 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I would say that overall, there is more likelihood of the noisekiller package being better than throwing a lot of dynamat at the car. Lots of dynamat and your doors will shut solidly and your hifi will sound better but it's not the entire solution.

Because the noisekiller solution is a kit of different types of materials designed to be used in different areas of the car, it can be more effective at reducing noise transmission closer to the source.

J.
Old 16 May 2008, 05:42 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

you only need one layer of dynamat extreme as it is 4 x better the dynamat original (so Dynamat say) so it woul be more cost effective in reality, is noisekiller bitumen based?

Dynamat have a huge range of products to cover (pun intended) the entire range of sound proofing, just check out the website
Old 16 May 2008, 05:49 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reano
woh woh calm down. Re-read my email I said a lot better (Lol e.g than what was there before). I didn't say a lot better than dynamat but I have had dynamat fitted in other cars and yes I do actually have a sound meter but I'm not so a-na-l to use it to compare as I would need to fully fit the dynamat as these guys do in the boot, under the carpets, etc then take it out and redo for their stuff.

I use a lot of sound proofing in my home recording studio and you will know that a certain thickness of material can only absorb certain amount of sound waves. Noisekiller stuff is very good and I would use it again over dynamat thats for sure but I quote I didn't say it was a lot better than 'dynamat' .
Ok point taken about being better than Dynamat

I'm not the a-n-a-l type either (honest) but i have worked in a proffesional In Car Entertainment retail shop and have experienced all types of customer requests for sound proofing, i can honestly say that the best VFM product i have personally experienced is Dynamat extreme. If you was talking about Dynamat original then i would be inclined to agree, it offers very similar performance to noisekiller, Extreme is better though - to my ears in any case.