Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Help!! Single DIN pocket won't fit.

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2008, 09:07 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help!! Single DIN pocket won't fit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I've looked through the search and FAQ in this section but I can't seem to sort this out . Only pictures of folks with them fitted.

I've replaced the double DIN standard head unit in my 05 STI with a single DIN Alpine unit. I also bought one of those pocket adapters (the silver one with the opening flap) to fit underneath it. I cannot for love nor money work out how the pocket fits . I can't fix the pocket to anything and even when I get it in the right position the front fascia won't clip back on because the pocket sticks out too much . When I clip the fascia back on it pushes the pocket in too far. I've trimmed the bit off at the bottom but the whole lot seems too long.

Are there different pockets for 03-04 models compared to 05 models . Any help would be most appreciated.

Wolfie.
Old 11 March 2008, 10:13 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfie28
Can anyone point me in the right direction. I've looked through the search and FAQ in this section but I can't seem to sort this out . Only pictures of folks with them fitted.

I've replaced the double DIN standard head unit in my 05 STI with a single DIN Alpine unit. I also bought one of those pocket adapters (the silver one with the opening flap) to fit underneath it. I cannot for love nor money work out how the pocket fits . I can't fix the pocket to anything and even when I get it in the right position the front fascia won't clip back on because the pocket sticks out too much . When I clip the fascia back on it pushes the pocket in too far. I've trimmed the bit off at the bottom but the whole lot seems too long.

Are there different pockets for 03-04 models compared to 05 models . Any help would be most appreciated.

Wolfie.
Don't know which one you bought. I bought the Autoleads one for mine (it's a 01 bugeye), and screwed it into the original brackets that held the old double DIN stereo in place (I fitted my JVC head unit by using the original brackets and screwing them into the stereo fixing points rather than using a cage (most modern stereos seem to have both nowadays)). Note that not all the screws fitted for mine, but I think I managed to locate enough that it didn't jump around or vibrate at all. It >should< fit though.

Have you tried mounting it both top and bottom to see if either will fit? I mounted my head unit on the top and the pocket underneath...

Last edited by MrNoisy; 11 March 2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11 March 2008, 10:18 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

Wolfie,

You got the Subaru Forrester one?

If so hope you sort it out as I need to do mine soon

AC
Old 11 March 2008, 10:30 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Its the same as this but it just doesn't want to fit. Thats why I was wondering if there are two different pockets .

Old 11 March 2008, 10:35 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfie28
Its the same as this but it just doesn't want to fit. Thats why I was wondering if there are two different pockets .

You got the part number mate? Mines sat in the garage awaiting time to do it
AC
Old 11 March 2008, 10:45 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

The black pocket fits perfectly with no changes required. I think the Forester pocket (silver one pictured above) requires you to drill some holes in the standard brackets. Which is why I haven't got round to fitting mine yet :-(

Have a quick search, I'm sure someone on here has posted how to do this.
Old 11 March 2008, 10:48 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

On the sides of the original double stereo are two metal plates.

These need to be unscrewed and re used. There should be a selection of holes drilled through these at various levels.
The original screws should be reused (if unavailable 8mm max should be used)

Choose the relevant holes for your stereo and the pocket, then screw them back in to the dash. You may have to have a couple of goes and dont screw the pocket in until you find the right spacing. trial fit it loose and note the nearest holes.

Hope this helps
Old 11 March 2008, 10:52 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/4341...ml#post4676827

You read that post Wolfie?
AC
Old 12 March 2008, 09:01 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby51
On the sides of the original double stereo are two metal plates.

These need to be unscrewed and re used. There should be a selection of holes drilled through these at various levels.
The original screws should be reused (if unavailable 8mm max should be used)

Choose the relevant holes for your stereo and the pocket, then screw them back in to the dash. You may have to have a couple of goes and dont screw the pocket in until you find the right spacing. trial fit it loose and note the nearest holes.

Hope this helps
Agreed - that's how I fitted my pocket AND my stereo as well - most stereos nowadays have screw holes to accept side mounting brackets rather than having to bother with a cage.
Old 12 March 2008, 11:43 AM
Speech
Scooby Regular

When I done mine in my MY03 WRX I had to drill some new holes for the Forester pocket to fit into the existing cage.

Also - there is a black tab on the front of the pocket casing, below the flap - this needs to be removed to allow for a flush fitting facia surround when you put it back together.
Old 13 March 2008, 05:15 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the advice folks . Its all fitted .

Drilled new holes in the brackets and used self tapping screws to fix the pocket as advised and removed the lip at the bottom of the pocket. Holes were already there on the side of the head unit for the brackets. Just need a aerial adapter to sort the radio out.
Front speakers next - maybe a bridge too far that one .

Thanks again, Wolfie.
Old 14 March 2008, 08:47 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

looking good wolfie

speakers are easy!!!!!