ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Your help/advice on speaker installation

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2007, 10:11 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Your help/advice on speaker installation

OK, I've just spent a long weekend replacing the standard crappy front speakers with Infinity 6020cs and they sound better - but not as good as I would expect.

I've already replaced the head unit - it's a average Sony unit, MEX BT2500 or something. Certainly better than the standard unit! Main advantage is the bluetooth - great for streaming music and handsfree.

I'm not exactly an expert in this area, but I have learnt a lot from fitting the speakers and think I can make improvements.

The first is a no brainer - Dynamat Extreme or similar on the doors.

The other thing I want to do is do the wiring properly. I don't mean all the way from the headunit as I'm guessing this will take me forever. I also don't mean I've wired them up incorrectly.

What I mean is that I've used unequal lengths of cable on each side and to connect the mid/bass and tweeters. I've also got too many cable connections - the original mid/bass cable has been plugged into an autoleads adapter, then crimp connectors into another length of cable running to the crossover.

So - my questions are:

1. Should I just cut the current mid/bass cable and use a crimp/spade connector to attach more cable running into the crossover, or is there a point in the cable BEFORE it splits up to the current tweeter I should use?
2. If not, do I then just tape up the old tweeter cable at the top to stop it shorting on something?
3. I guess that the length of cable connecting the crossover should be the same on both doors? Also, should the length between crossover and mid/bass be the same as between crossover and tweeter? Or does this not really matter?
4. Bearing in mind I'm not replacing the cable from the headunit (unless you think this would be easy), what cable should I use? Is standard Maplin stuff going to be OK?
5. Are the standard Maplin crimp connectors ok to join cables to each other and the crossover or should I use something better?

Sorry this is a bit of a long post, hopefully someone knowledgeable (I know you're there!) can make some recommendations.