ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

2 devices from 12v?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2007, 10:17 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 devices from 12v?

After following chiark's guide to fitting a single din stereo, I now have a Sony Bluetooth head unit installed. Chiark thank you - if I can do this anyone can! It only took about 30 mins.

This means I can now use my Orange M700 (HTC 3600) handsfree and stream music to the stereo. It's also my sat nav, as it has a GPS chip and TomTom.

I power this from the cigarette ligher as you would expect. I also like to use my ipod in the car, so I've bought a dual USB adapter for the lighter socker which lets me power both devices.

The only problem with this is the amount of cables. What I would really like to do is run a 12v cable into the single DIN pocket (by drilling a hole in the back) and wire it directly to the cigarette lighter USB adapter, and run the phone and ipod cables from there.

Can anyone give me advice on splicing a 12v cable, probably from the lighter, so I can attach to the adapter? I've also heard that there is a blue 12v cable for an amp (which I don't have), would that work?

Should say - this is a 2002 WRX Wagon.

Cheers,

ewan

Last edited by escott; 01 October 2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02 October 2007, 08:20 AM
Big_Dan531
Scooby Regular

yes if u are not using a amp there will be a blue cable called a "remote" cable running out the back of the head ununit this only comes on when ur stereo come on so i would just get a small chocolate block connector and put the cable in one side and jsut run 2 out the other i would put a inline fuse in the 2 cables coming off of it just to be safe and it should run if fine

i have plit my amp cable it runs my amp and my a set of neons in the boot as the cable only turns the amp it doesnt run it

i have also run another live from the batterry to power 5 switches which run all my in car entertainment such as ps2 etc

hope this helps m8
Old 02 October 2007, 09:27 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dan, good to know that this should work OK.

Just to confirm - the blue cable should come out of my stereo, not the car?

What I plan to do then is the following:

Run a single 12v cable (probably the amp/remote) through the DIN pocket and attach a cigarette lighter connector from maplins
Maplin > Car Accessory Socket

Plug in a dual usb adapter so I can power 2 devices

Maplin > Twin USB Adaptor Cigarette Lighter Socket

Done!

What do you think Dan? Does the blue amp cable run into the standard ISO chocolate block? If so I can just get a standard cable to plug in and run through the DIN pocket.
Old 02 October 2007, 10:08 AM
Big_Dan531
Scooby Regular

to confirm the blue wire will come out of the stereo

i would just extend the blue wire u can by the remote wire from halfords for peanuts or even maplins then u can put it where ever u want should take like 5 mins to do just make sure u have the ignition off when u do as i u might get a bit of a shock lol

i might look at those usb adapters for powering my ipod i was using the power invertor but that is now poering the ps2 in the glove box
Old 02 October 2007, 11:38 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

Try here - maplin don't have them in at the moment:

Twin USB Car Charger Adapter
Old 02 October 2007, 11:16 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Pulled the dash apart and guess what - my head unit (Sony Bluetooth MEX-BT2500) doesn't have remote/amp power cable! I confirmed this by searching around.

Any suggestions on how I can wire additional cigarette lighter from one of the wires behind the centre console?