Old 12 June 2001, 12:24 AM
mirAGE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right - Installing :

Nakamichi MB-100 Head unit
1 Genesis Mono Block Amp
1 Genesis Dual Mono Amp

I have a sub, this is a Diamond Hex 12.4 in a fully enclosed box to Diamond recommended specs.....

I am thinking about going for either Diamond, MB Quart or Boston Acoustics components - but I dont know sizes, depths needed, or if I should get any speakers for the rear shelf for rear fill reasons ?

Can anyone offer any advise ?
Old 12 June 2001, 12:37 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Very nice kit, and now you've got the difficult task of getting the best out of it.

For this level of investment, I'd really try to find a helpful dealer that will let you try the stuff.

Failing that, I believe Adam M has tried all of those brands and likes Focal (could be wrong) above them all. MB seems quite bright to me, but it may just be what you're looking for.

Tastes really differ, and you've got an excellent base on which to build. Try to hear 'em in an Impreza. I can help with CD Technologies stuff...

For fronts, you want 6". 6.5 will fit with a bit of cutting.

Depth-wise, I've managed to get CD Technologies 6.5" HD baskets in the doors by putting a 12mm mdf spacer on the front of the factory pod, so most things should fit.

Doesn't really help you much, that last statement. Will check the depth.
Old 12 June 2001, 12:46 AM
mirAGE
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that - will try and look up these Focal speakers - see what they are about....

Was thinking about a flash install but also thinking about perhaps hiding it all....

decisions, decisions.....
Old 12 June 2001, 12:52 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Well, mine's pretty stealthy as I like it enough to want to keep it. Boot is a bit mad...
Old 12 June 2001, 12:58 AM
mirAGE
Scooby Regular

Well - plan is to install speakers behind original grills, then build an enclosure for the rear shelf so that the sub doesn't kick through the rear drivers, then go straight down the back of the boot - mount amps and stuff so that I can have the back seats down and it can all be on show if I want - I was thinking about coving the install with perspex - having genesis etched into it and shining a blue light in through the side.....

But this may be a little too tarty.....
Old 12 June 2001, 04:44 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

looks to me that you have already found prestige anyway.

If you havent forgive I am worng but you do have their full product range there!
Old 12 June 2001, 04:58 PM
mirAGE
Scooby Regular

I dont follow ?
Old 13 June 2001, 11:56 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

right,

I thought you had found a dealer that I was about to recommend as you have all of the products they sell listed.

They are prestige audio in rayners lane, harrow area.

they employ the talents of bob hobson, the "guru" of car audio.

If you want an install carried out, he is the man to ask for.

As for front speakers, I think you have outclassed mb quarts with the rest of your gear. They used to be incredible about 8 years ago, but changed cone technology, and i havent been impressed since.

Chiark, ios rigth about my preference for focals, but only the mids. The tweeters are very tinny, and becoming tiring to listen to.

Diamond are great if you go to the hex range, but not cheap. If you can afford and justify them, then go for them, I find that difficult.

Boston accoustics, are also a warm and accurate speaker, but I am out of touch with their current product range. In the past they were good, but hadnt done much for some time. They may have brought out new stuff since then.

If you are willing to get builds in the front of the car, and spending good money.

The best front speakers I have ever heard are 8 inch veritas coaxial compression laoded horn drivers.

These have a horn mounted in the middle of an 8 inch cone and are very deep.

They sound more natural than any other speaker I have heard (in a car), and image incredibly without massive setting up.

If you start with these in mind, then the expense will continue, to labour in installation and rta'ing, plus the cost of expensive graphic equalisers. I have moved on from searching for ideal audio, as after buying a decent hi fi, even the best cars sounds pans now .

Good luck.

Old 20 June 2001, 04:43 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Must agree with Adam - the Focals are really nice. I prefer Dynaudio myself but anything listed would be good.

I'd definitely recommend you get someone to install/setup this lot professionally - it really does take experience to get the best out of kit like this.

As for horns, I've always thought that _most_ of them seemed to go against all logic. I mean, why buy a set of speakers that you _know_ will need full 31band EQ to make sound good??

Then again if the veritas drivers are the same ones I'm thinking of (ie about 6 grand) then they didn't need that much tweaking....