Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Infinity Component Speakers & 6x9's?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2007, 05:47 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Component Speakers & 6x9's?

Good Afternoon all, got a birthday coming up soon and im gonna get myself some component Infinity 6010cs's for my classic saloon as ive heard theyre pretty good.

Ive had a look on ebay and found some for a cracking price. Only thing im concerned about is that they are component speakers and ive never fitted them before.

You get - component speaker system includes woofers, tweeters, and crossovers.

First of all what do you do with the tweeters ( fit them in the doors / handle? ) and what are crossovers?

Do i also have all the cable i need already in the doors or do i need to buy more, and if so what?

6x9's arent everyone cup of tea but i feel i need some bass in the back without fitting a sub / amp combo. Which brand / make is most recommended and is it not worth going for anything really powerful considering im not going to use an amp?

Thanks

Adam
Old 08 June 2007, 10:54 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

I bought the 6510cs infinty component speakers from ebay & they came with no wires. Got them at a good price but had to purchase the cabling separate.

You could try maplins for your cable or any car audio shop.
You should get a kit to mount your tweeters in various positions. I mounted mine on the plastic triangular bit in the corner of the door (by the side rear view mirrors).
The crossover was secured to the inside of the door card, but my door cards are custom built. Double sided sticky velcro works goods to hold it in place.

Tbh I was disappointed in the sound quality of the infinity's, lacked bass. Treble was ok. Much better than the standard speakers but for me it just sounded the same with better treble. So I used a amp to power the speakers, now the woofer sounds more punchy & controlled.

I personally would not bother with the rears especially if your not using an amp. I doubt that you will get that extra bass your looking for. Save your money & work on improving the sound up front. ie amp.

Ticky
Old 09 June 2007, 09:16 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I was also very disappointed with the sound of the Infinity's just running off the headunit especially as they seem to be so highly regarded on here
Perhaps they sound better when run off an amp , I personally wont find out as I have replaced my standard speakers until I can afford some Focals and a Genesis amp.
The Infinity's dont come with wires, you will need to buy enough quality speaker wire to at least run from the end of the original speaker wire to the crossover (most people tend to locate this towards the back of the door card near the bottom ), then a length from the crossover to the woofer, and another length from the crossover to the tweeter. That is the easiest way using the least wire but it would be better to run new wires from the headunit (or amp) to the crossover rather than connecting into the original speaker wires.
Also be aware you will probably need to space the speaker away from the door slightly to stop the woofer hitting the window, these can be made from mdf or plastic Vauxhall Corsa spacers will do the job but I would prefer mdf.
Finally dont forget to put plenty of sound deadening such as Dynamat at least in the area around the speaker if not on the whole door, this will make it sound much better.
Unless you are planning to fit amps etc I would be tempted to just buy some decent quality shallow fitting 2-way speakers which will literally just pop in to the original location and plug into the original loom with minimal work.
Old 09 June 2007, 09:19 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Just noticed you would be using 6010's rather than 6510's, these might fit in a Classic without the spacers as they are not quite as deep but the wiring etc will still be the same.
Old 09 June 2007, 10:23 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies fellas.

It seems to me an awful lot of hassle having to buy extra wire or even re-wiring the whole car just for some door speakers.

Im not an audio buff and going to all that effort would probably be wasted on me - so i might just resort to fitting some decent two-way door speakers and leave it at that.

Theyll be better than standard and as long as i hear some improvement ill be happy considering im not prepared to break the bank.

Aparrently i need some that are rather shallow and i would prefer some that are standard fit ( no mdf spacers needed ) so what makes are best and which model would you recommend?

Ta

Adam
Old 10 June 2007, 10:32 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Without and amp, I'd recommend Alpine. I'd also recommend 16.5cm, which would require the equivalent of mdf spacers (plastic vauxhall corsa bracket), but that's so easy to fit, and the larger soeaker helps. I can link you to the brackets if needed. I take it your classic was earlier than MY99.
Old 10 June 2007, 12:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Get yourself down to your local Halfords and LISTEN to some of the speakers which are available. Pick out one or two YOU like the sound of, then ask a mate to switch between them while you turn your back, and choose your favourite.

Don't be a snob when doing it: I have done this and ended up with four three way Sony speakers because I LIKED THE SOUND.

No-one should choose speakers without LISTENING to them

Alcazar
Old 11 June 2007, 08:36 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Thanks fellas, i did intend going to listen to some anyway.

I just wanted to see if any particular models were recommended so that i was guaranteed correct fitment.

Its ok going to listen to some, buying them and then finding out theyre too deep to fit in the door correctly!!

Adam
Old 11 June 2007, 10:43 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AdamCrank
Thanks fellas, i did intend going to listen to some anyway.

I just wanted to see if any particular models were recommended so that i was guaranteed correct fitment.

Its ok going to listen to some, buying them and then finding out theyre too deep to fit in the door correctly!!

Adam
I made MDF spacers, (15mm), for the front, using the Sony template and the OE speaker as a guide, painted with three coats of underseal, and they are fine.

For the rears, again MDF spacers, (18mm), covered with proper cloth that NEARLY matches the rear shelf, (I suppose I OUGHT to have done the whole shelf), and away you go.

Alcazar
Old 11 June 2007, 10:54 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

I thought the rear speakers werent worth bothering with? As even if i fitted some decent ones to the parcel shelf it would just muddy the sound coming from the front speakers.

Ive got a classic MY99 and as far as i know it doesnt have speakers in the rear doors, just the fronts and the parcel shelf.

Not sure if other revisions of the car have speakers in the rear doors or not but im pretty sure mine doesnt.

Adam
Old 11 June 2007, 02:53 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

I thought the rear speakers werent worth bothering with?
They're not (IMO) unless you're putting some little subs in the standard positions.

Ive got a classic MY99 and as far as i know it doesnt have speakers in the rear doors, just the fronts and the parcel shelf.
No, there isn't anything in the rear doors. I thought the MY99 was the same as the MY00 though, with components in the front (on the MY00 there is a position for the tweeters, just by the window switches). Make sure yours doesn't have that before buying coax speakers.
Old 11 June 2007, 03:08 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Triggaaar
They're not (IMO) unless you're putting some little subs in the standard positions.

No, there isn't anything in the rear doors. I thought the MY99 was the same as the MY00 though, with components in the front (on the MY00 there is a position for the tweeters, just by the window switches). Make sure yours doesn't have that before buying coax speakers.
My car has the tweeter position in the doors ( near the handle / switches like you said ) but theres nothing there - definately no sound coming out of them anyway. Maybe on the MY00 they fitted components here?

Adam
Old 11 June 2007, 05:27 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Yes, MY00 had tweeters there. But you have the space for them, so it would be nice to use them (unless the budget doesn't allow).

So can you give us an update on what you can do:
1) Total budget
2) Will you have to fit it yourself, or can you find someone (with experience) to help

I guess it's the total budget that affects everything. If you only have £50, you could change your front speakers, and get an improvement. No help needed really. If you have £200, you could get a new head unit, and better front speakers with an amp. £350 and you could include 2 6x9 subs, and a little sound deadening.
Old 11 June 2007, 05:32 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

You get - component speaker system includes woofers, tweeters, and crossovers.
Just to clarify, component speakers are tweeters and mids (maybe called woofers on the pack, but they are there to produce mid range frequencies, not bass).
First of all what do you do with the tweeters ( fit them in the doors / handle? ) and what are crossovers?
The tweeters would go in the door, as discussed. You'd stick the crossovers to the inside of the door cards, and they are there to send the correct frequencies to the mids and tweeters.
Do i also have all the cable i need already in the doors or do i need to buy more, and if so what?
Since you have a location for the tweeters, but no tweeter speakers, I don't know. Taking off a door card to find out is easy, just make sure you un-clip the window switches, and don't force it.
Old 12 June 2007, 08:15 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Hia mate, the budget would be quite limited as im not prepared to just throw money at it, ive got interests other than the car at the moment - i want an improvement but without fitting a new head unit / amp.

Could probably afford about £100 so id be looking to just change the front speakers at the moment and see if im happy after that.

Adam
Old 12 June 2007, 08:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I did the rears on mine as I like the sound to come from JUST behind me, so I put decent speakers front and rear, then adjusted up with the fader.

No way was I leaving the rears as the rubbish they were, if they were to have ANY part to play at all.

Alcazar
Old 12 June 2007, 09:55 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Just curious mate, what did you fit at the back?

You fitted an amp or other stuff like that?

Adam
Old 12 June 2007, 10:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Just curious mate, what did you fit at the back?

You fitted an amp or other stuff like that?

Adam
Nope, the system is all Sony: CDX300GT HU which will play MP3 and WMA discs, Sony 16.5cm 3-way fronts and Sony 6x9's 3-way rears.

I like the sound, I rarely have it LOUD, as I can't concentrate on the engine if I do, ( I REALLY dunno how kids drive around with the bass thumping the way they do, if I turn mine up I can't hear when to change gear etc), and it's been complimented for sound by people from 15 to 50.

It's all subjective though, isn't it? One mans perfect sound is another's racket. You only have to look at all the different types of music....

Alcazar
Old 12 June 2007, 10:53 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Are you still using the standard wiring or have you re-wired it all with better stuff?

Was everything easy to fit i.e same fitment as standard - or did you need to adapt the connectors?

Sorry to keep repeating myself and sounding stupid but you say youve fitted 3 way fronts - would they be components or not?

Adam
Old 12 June 2007, 02:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Everything is on standard wiring, as I couldn't be bothered to rave out the old speaker wiring and fit thicker stuff.

The old headunit came out and the new Sony plugged straight into the old connector, no problems.

The speakers are 3-way co-axial in the front, a "large" 16.5 cm cone which handles the lower register, a 6cm cone for midrange and a 1" cone for tweeter.

The rears are a 6x9 cone for the lower register, and two smaller cones, side by side on top of the other one, for midrange and tweeter.

Both sets of speakers have built-in crossovers.

Ceertainly not state of the art, but I like the sound, and for £89, (headunit) and £110 for BOTH sets of speakers, NOT each, you can't go wrong.

Alcazar

BTW: both sets of speakers now deleted, I bought mine about 30 months back.
Old 15 June 2007, 09:20 PM
midas303
Scooby Regular

Some of the Infinity components cap the base and not let the low frequecies through, I guess it is so you can turn them up louder without distortion...

Placement of the tweeters is subjective. You are supposed to get a better sound stage when the tweeter is close to the woofer, but then you don't get full benefit from it as it is low down in the door. A lot of people place them at ear level on the front pillar which gives good detail.

Alphasonic, do good 6x9 components that have superb base. I have a pair just layed in a hole thats too big, run off a cheap head unit with rubbish cable and they sound pretty good, can't wait untill I get round to fitting them in properly with the amp.

The only bad point is most impreza's are loud exhaust, engine. That means the only time you really hear the music is when you are parked up with the engine switched off....!

Some very good installers would tell you to get a good head unit decent cables to a component front set of speakers run off the head unit. With a pair of 6x9's fitted in the rear shelf with a two channel amp to provide you with a fill sound and some base. If the budget allows you could get a four channel amp for the four channels, which would be better if you have two pre outs for control from the head unit.

Last edited by midas303; 15 June 2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: after thought..