Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

will components go in a MY01!

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2001, 06:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have just swapped my double din rubbish from my MY01 for an alpine double din CD/MD- loadssss better!

the guy that installed it also looked at the speakers and said if i wanted to up grade them i couldnt have components as they are all to big to drop in (not sure if he was ref. to the twetters or main speaker) anyway he said id have to have speaker with built in tweeter

is he right that comp. wont fit without modding the door

and will a speaker with built in tweeter be ok, the one he recommended was £130 (forgot the name)

tiggs

also he suggested an infinity sub with built in amp, this is so its easy to get out when i need the boot space- these any good? it wont go i straight away its for latter upgrading.
Old 02 June 2001, 10:52 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Question

Sorry Tiggs I dont know which speakers will fit but where did you find a double din Alpine unit I love Alpine kit and din't know they had a double din unit availiable.

Nathan..
Old 03 June 2001, 01:22 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i've remembered the name of the speakers- audiobahn an6000 , never heared of them! (that dont mean much!)

they any good, £130 sounded pricey for non components????

tiggs

Old 03 June 2001, 12:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

the alpine is an import, i got it out of the privates on scobby net- it is superb, cd and md with loads of features tilting displays etc.

you can get them from the states for $1,000 + shipping and tax!!!!!!!!

i stummbled on a bargin

tiggs
Old 04 June 2001, 08:28 AM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Tiggs, I am looking at components aswell at the moment after having finally sorted out the head unit (Kenwood Mask single Din - tricky to fit as slightly bigger the std Din)
So far no components i have looked at will fit staight in, tweeters are ok but the main speakers are to big/deep so need custom builds, been quoted aroung £100 for full install.

Speakers i am considering are both fron J L Audio XR range, either the component 6.5" (£380)or the 6.5" with built in tweeter (£270) also been advised that Dynamat would be worthwhile, Car Hi-Fi Centre in Cheltenham (01242 263103) very usefull.

simon.
Old 04 June 2001, 10:42 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the components to give you flexibility.

I'd be interested to see how you get on with mounting these, particularly the depth...

Nick.
Old 04 June 2001, 05:19 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

having spent the day with the new speakers and headunit the sound is definatly better (id still be interested if audiobahn are known to be good- id never heard of them??)

anyway they sound ok- except for the base, the only way to get base is to muck about with the equaliser on the headunit and then it seems to make it a bit to thumpy.

is a sub the only way to get nice depth from the base sounds? (i know i shoulnt expect much from front speakers but i thought they may give more depth)

if a sub is the way to go where can i put it in a 5dr with dogs in the boot?????????

tiggs

ps- no idea about this stuff so sorry if terms are wrong! thumpy,etc
Old 04 June 2001, 11:40 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Talking

I had Kenwood components fitted in front doors they were the only ones that would fit

As for a sub forget it

get a decent set of 6x9's for the rear shelf and disconect the rear door speakers
the sound will be great

Phil
Old 05 June 2001, 08:21 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd completely disagree with Phil, but then that's me

I personally don't like having full range speakers in the back of a car, as it destroys what little of a sound stage you can achieve.

Sub-wise, you could use something as small as an 8" to make a difference. I'm running 2 10s and that's more than enough (unless you're a complete basshead - Hi Rockin')

People have mounted subs in the spare wheel well...