ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Want a small active sub

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2007, 11:22 AM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a small active sub

That sounds good and doesn't take up too much room. Any ideas?

Thanks!
paul
Old 16 April 2007, 12:11 PM
StewartyBoy
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 12inch vibe active subwoofer that is relatviely small for the punch that it packs. Active is gonne be the way to go for you, as your looking at an amp incorporated into the sub box from factory.

Im getting rid of my sub if your interested mate.
Old 16 April 2007, 09:19 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I have a Pioneer WX11A under my seat.

TS-WX11A Pioneer Subwoofers - Car Entertainment

Superb sound on kick-drums and bass guitars
Old 16 April 2007, 10:39 PM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

This is the one i bouoght today

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/3463.html

Although not installed yet, it does have good reports.
Old 16 April 2007, 11:06 PM
X30NGO
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't have a pie-in-your-ear sub.

I have had a Cerwin Vega 12" and a Planet Audio Big bang 12" and also a 10" Planet Audio Big Bang.

I currently run the 12" Big Bang as it is really really accurate, like the 10", but it can cope with the lower frequencies, like the 12" Vega.

This ain't mine, but it's the same sub i'm on about.

Bongo

Last edited by X30NGO; 16 April 2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 17 April 2007, 04:07 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

got one of these but its blown so i need to replace it...sounds reat and has an indiependant volume so no booming

Infinity bass link.
Old 17 April 2007, 09:20 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Talking

The little Pioneer under the seat gets my vote. Just had one fitted last Thursday and it sounds great. Okay, it might not have the power of a suitcase in the boot, but then I dont want to sound like the chavs in the local MacD car park and I want to keep my boot useable. This thing gives a useful addition to bass with no space taken up, plus it's lightish. Money well spent IMHO.

I listen to lots of old school reggae and it produces all the bass notes, although I must admit it doesn't register the lowest ones with the most finesse, but the exhaust/engine/road noise would render anything more flash pretty redundant anyway.

PS. apart from the reggae....BOARDS OF CANADA!!!!!!!
Old 18 April 2007, 10:18 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CAT2
The little Pioneer under the seat gets my vote. Just had one fitted last Thursday and it sounds great. Okay, it might not have the power of a suitcase in the boot, but then I dont want to sound like the chavs in the local MacD car park and I want to keep my boot useable. This thing gives a useful addition to bass with no space taken up, plus it's lightish. Money well spent IMHO.

I listen to lots of old school reggae and it produces all the bass notes, although I must admit it doesn't register the lowest ones with the most finesse, but the exhaust/engine/road noise would render anything more flash pretty redundant anyway.

PS. apart from the reggae....BOARDS OF CANADA!!!!!!!
exactly why i brought mine and put it out of sight

if you like boards of canada try 'four tet'
Old 28 July 2007, 12:28 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trails
got one of these but its blown so i need to replace it...sounds reat and has an indiependant volume so no booming

Infinity bass link.

Sorry for replying to such an old thread, but just noticed this and wanted to know how on earth you've got that fixed in there? I too have got an infinity basslink sub....which does sound awesome.....but I could never figure out a decent way of actually fixing it in place without drilling holes in the car etc......and unfortunately last week, whilst making rather rapid progress round a fairly sharp corner......I managed to smash the thing to pieces lol!! It really is a cracking sub......but just keeps falling over when I brake or corner sharply....and has now died because of that
Old 28 July 2007, 09:14 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simonds1
Sorry for replying to such an old thread, but just noticed this and wanted to know how on earth you've got that fixed in there? I too have got an infinity basslink sub....which does sound awesome.....but I could never figure out a decent way of actually fixing it in place without drilling holes in the car etc......and unfortunately last week, whilst making rather rapid progress round a fairly sharp corner......I managed to smash the thing to pieces lol!! It really is a cracking sub......but just keeps falling over when I brake or corner sharply....and has now died because of that
i blew mine up and haven't got round to replacing it

fixed in place by drilling 4 holes in the bottom of the car and buying some long threaded rod and using that as with the original brackets. works really welll but you must remember to seal everything properly
Old 28 July 2007, 11:09 AM
Rustle73
Scooby Regular

Yep, I recommend the Alpine SWD-1600 under seat sub, or the similar poineer. Cheap, good sound, piece of cake to install. Check heights as the Alpine fouls my passenger seat so it only goes forward about half of its depth. Not a problem though as it can be removed in 10 seconds as its so tight under the seat there is no need to permanently mount it, so can just be unplugged and removed!!
Old 28 July 2007, 01:35 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
i blew mine up and haven't got round to replacing it

fixed in place by drilling 4 holes in the bottom of the car and buying some long threaded rod and using that as with the original brackets. works really welll but you must remember to seal everything properly

I've just noticed that one of the feet has broken off urs in the pic too! All my feet are smashed now so the thing wont even stand up! I did think of making holes in the car but I really wanna avoid that. No other way of doing it really tho is there!

As for the under seat ones, I've been looking at those too, but was wondering....how do you get the wires to underneath the seat without them being visible? Do you kinda have to come round the back of one of the seat 'rails' and go under the seat that way? Or make holes in the carpet or something?
Old 28 July 2007, 06:41 PM
Rustle73
Scooby Regular

The Alpine uses RCA leads, so you just run these from the stereos conenctors. You can use speaker cable if you don't have RCA preouts. Pull the carpet down from high under the dash (there are some clips it hooks over) then run the leads across the foot well to the area where the palstic cill strip meets the shroud by the door (hinge end). Remove the cill strip (4 plastic lugs on the outer edge that pop up with the screwdriver) which exposes a neat little area where you can run cables / leads. Lay them in there all the way back to the plastic shroud that runs vertically up behind the seatbelt - this overlaps the cill strip. This has a slplit at the bottom by the floor where the belt passes through. I came out from that split directly into the void under the seat.

You will need to run a permanent live direct form the battery as well. You can get into the car through a rubber bung on the passenger side of the car, under some a/c pipes I think. Make a hole in the rubber with a screw driver then force the cable through. It comes into the car quite high up under the dash and I found it easier to get by removing the glovebox. 5 screws I recall, all easy to find.

I ran the live slightly differently to the RCA cable avoid any issues with the RCA lead (experts seem to suggest you don't mix power and speaker cables - not sure if this applies to RCA but did it just to be sure), but basically just pulled the carpet back and ran it straight to the seat.

Sounds complicated, but its really straight forward once you get into it. hardest part for me was getting the live through the firewall, after that, you're home and hosed.
Old 28 July 2007, 07:02 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Aye yeah that's the way I routed the cables too, but currently mine go to the boot, and they run along the passenger side of the car......so getting them to be under the DRIVER'S seat is gonna be a bit of a pain in the **** I think!! Has anyone got one of these under-seat subs but put it in the boot? I was thinking of getting the pioneer one and trying it in the boot, cuz it's a nice low flat design that wouldn't fall over when cornering or braking, and I'm sure a load of velcro would hold that in place lovely......but I dunno would it sound decent enough if it was in the boot?
Old 30 July 2007, 10:46 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

As for the under seat ones, I've been looking at those too, but was wondering....how do you get the wires to underneath the seat without them being visible? Do you kinda have to come round the back of one of the seat 'rails' and go under the seat that way? Or make holes in the carpet or something?
In mine (03 WRX) there's already holes in the carpet for the wires to the airbag and the seatbelt warning.

I ran the audio & power cables through there and then covered it all with a rubber mat.

Here is all the messy cabling.

and here it is covered

Old 01 August 2007, 09:04 PM
Rustle73
Scooby Regular

Aye yeah that's the way I routed the cables too, but currently mine go to the boot, and they run along the passenger side of the car......so getting them to be under the DRIVER'S seat is gonna be a bit of a pain in the **** I think!! Has anyone got one of these under-seat subs but put it in the boot? I was thinking of getting the pioneer one and trying it in the boot, cuz it's a nice low flat design that wouldn't fall over when cornering or braking, and I'm sure a load of velcro would hold that in place lovely......but I dunno would it sound decent enough if it was in the boot?
The only solution I could think of is to run the sub power cable into the car on the passenger side (as before), then across the back of the stereo to the drivers side, lay it under the carpet under the pedals, then across into the cills on the drivers side and repeat the route to the seat as for the passengers side. I'm 100% certain the supplied sub power cable won't run that distance so you'll need to extend it, but the rest of the cables should go as there is no real difference in the distance from the head unit to the underside of either seat.

An element of bass does work by transference through the structure, so if you placed it in the corner of the boot it may work, but my intial thoughts based on my one is it would probably be weak. See if you can borrow one and bodge it to your current cables and try it out. For an extra 15mins work and the joining of a cable its probably worth the effort to put it under the drivers seat.

All the best.