ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Installing Infinity 62.7i in Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2007, 09:43 AM
goodo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Infinity 62.7i in Classic

I bought some 16.5cm adaptors for subaru impreza (autoleads), and some infinity 62.7i, but they didn't fit into the adaptors as the adaptors were too narrow. Now, the speakers themselves look good, so I'm reluctant to send them back for something else, especially as all the other speakers are likely to not fit either, so I'm thining the adaptors are the weak link. Does anyone know how to install 6.5" speakers into the front doors of a classic impreza? If there is another product out there, which actually fits can you guys let me know about it? I don't own a jigsaw, so I'm not about to be knocking up my own spacers out of MDF. Although I'd very much like to.

Goodo
Old 04 January 2007, 10:14 AM
MazingerZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by goodo
I bought some 16.5cm adaptors for subaru impreza (autoleads), and some infinity 62.7i, but they didn't fit into the adaptors as the adaptors were too narrow. Now, the speakers themselves look good, so I'm reluctant to send them back for something else, especially as all the other speakers are likely to not fit either, so I'm thining the adaptors are the weak link. Does anyone know how to install 6.5" speakers into the front doors of a classic impreza? If there is another product out there, which actually fits can you guys let me know about it? I don't own a jigsaw, so I'm not about to be knocking up my own spacers out of MDF. Although I'd very much like to.

Goodo

what MY is the car?
Old 04 January 2007, 01:09 PM
goodo
Scooby Regular

It's a '98 wagon
Old 04 January 2007, 01:44 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Erm... Read the FAQ and have a look at Chiark's site. Simplest option is to trash the existing speaker/spacer and re-use the frame to mount your new woofer.

J.
Old 05 January 2007, 12:55 PM
goodo
Scooby Regular

Well, Chiarks site speaks of 12mm MDF. So, anyone in North London lend me a jigsaw this weekend?
Old 05 January 2007, 02:57 PM
MazingerZ
Scooby Regular

get on ebay and buy 16cm spacers for corsas...I bought a pair a while ago for £12 and they did the job. I only had to drill a new hole in each door.
Old 05 January 2007, 05:42 PM
goodo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MazingerZ
get on ebay and buy 16cm spacers for corsas...I bought a pair a while ago for £12 and they did the job. I only had to drill a new hole in each door.
Drill a hole in each door!

I'm not drilling into metal. Might just go down B&Q and buy another tool I'll only use once.
Old 06 January 2007, 03:12 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

These might be useful to you

MDF Speaker Spacer Rings
Old 08 January 2007, 01:25 PM
goodo
Scooby Regular

It all worked out OK. Got the old speaker out of the pod, and measured up the new one, and it just about fitted inside. The four mounting holes I drilled into the old plastic pod, and whilst they were just at the edge, by rotating the speaker round to a certain point, there was enough plastic to drill into. So, no MDF, no extra spacers required, originals were fine.

Slight modification was required for the wires. In the original speaker, the wires come out of the side of the pod, this keeps the wires on the iside of the door and away from the window. I wanted to do the same, so I hack sawed off a bit more material and the wires came out ok.

For the 10cm speakers I installed in the rear doors, I used the original connectors (I actually hacked off the plastic connection block to get to the connectors inside, good old leathermans!). Went in fine.

So going from original speakers to infinity kappa int he front and refernce int he back is quite a marked change. My Alpine headunit is starting to sing..........