Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Which infinity ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2006, 09:02 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which infinity ?

OK, I'm confused, and I'm certainly not an ice expert by any means,

I want to upgrade the speakers in my MY02 STI.

From what I've read, infinity is the way to go.

But I don't know which ones..

I keep reading about

6000cs
6500cs
6510cs

I don't understand the differences between these 3.

Need advice please.
Old 25 September 2006, 09:11 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Well I'm in the same boat as you mate, just been exchanging messages with COLZO, he's been there done that. He has gone for Infinity 6512si:-FRONT, and Infinity 5012i:-REAR. I think they are the top notch ones.

As for the models numbers you have quoted.......not a clue.

Make a note of the model numbers above and go and have a look and listen at your local ICE shop/dealer.
They are what I'll be getting.
Old 25 September 2006, 11:12 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI
Well I'm in the same boat as you mate, just been exchanging messages with COLZO, he's been there done that. He has gone for Infinity 6512si:-FRONT, and Infinity 5012i:-REAR. I think they are the top notch ones.

As for the models numbers you have quoted.......not a clue.

Make a note of the model numbers above and go and have a look and listen at your local ICE shop/dealer.
They are what I'll be getting.
I have just fitted some infinity speakers front and back in my car, cant remember which models they were though..

will check later and get back

Steve
Old 26 September 2006, 12:40 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marklemac

6000cs
6500cs
6510cs

I don't understand the differences between these 3.

Need advice please.
To my knowledge they are all Component Speakers with different mounting depths or widths. I would imagine they would sound great as I have Infinity Coaxials and IMO are really good.
Old 26 September 2006, 07:38 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

I have fitted the 6510cs with mdf 12mm spacers. These clear the glass in my classic.

Have a look at the pdf link and it should show you the difference's in woofer depths & diameters between the model numbers.

http://international.infinitysystems...5010cs_ENG.pdf

It may not give the model no.s your after but try searching by specific model number it should give you the dimension etc.

Ticky
Old 26 September 2006, 07:46 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

I think I would have been better off with the 6010cs as the diameter cut out was 127mm, so these might have fitted the original plastic spacer which has the splash guard built in.
The 6051cs have a dia cut out of 142mm & would not fit the original spacer. Thats why I had to make an adaptor & a diy splash guard.
Old 26 September 2006, 09:52 AM
kitch
Scooby Regular

Just fitted the 6510`s. you will need to fit 18mm mdf for these to fit a newage.

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2006, 09:56 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...91&postcount=9

dipster
Old 27 September 2006, 03:21 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Infinity generally do 2-3 price ranges of speakers. Reference, Kappa and Kappa Perfect.

Within Reference, they generally do 2 sets around the 16-17CM mark.

The 602, 6000, 6010 lot which are nominally 16CM. The basket flange/whatever you mount it with is narrow with four flaps with holes in to mount it.
The 652, 6500, 6510 lot. Nominally 17CM. Basket flange/surround is beefier and circular.

Of the above, the 6010 type is probably more adaptable as it comes with more separate mounting hardware and surrounds. It's also shallower ISTR.

The tweeters and crossovers would appear to be the same between the 6010 and 6510 sets.

HTH

J.
Old 27 September 2006, 08:31 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kitch
Just fitted the 6510`s. you will need to fit 18mm mdf for these to fit a newage.
Just ordered the 6510cs components off Fleabay - £62 !! - thanks for the tip on the 18mm MDF
Old 27 September 2006, 08:33 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Me too. Mine hopefully arrive tomorrow.
Old 27 September 2006, 08:37 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Me too. Mine hopefully arrive tomorrow.
Taking the doors off sounds fun...........

Whats the betting I'll be down at Subaru ordering something I've snapped off......
Old 28 September 2006, 12:35 AM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SivMY05Sti
Taking the doors off sounds fun...........

Whats the betting I'll be down at Subaru ordering something I've snapped off......
be carefule with the plastic surround around the door handle it is easy to crack or break.

Justed fitted 6.5" CS6210 in front and 5" Co-ax 5012i in rear doors. took about 2 hours to do the lot. get print outs of wire colours before you take everything off.
Old 28 September 2006, 08:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Not saying Infinity aren't good, guys, but it never fails to amaze me how many people will buy speakers for their cars without hearing them first

How do you know you'll like them? Will they perform with YOUR headunit? Do they sound good on YOUR choice of music?

As one who has spent a lot of money and time, over the years, on good hifi, the best advice for speakers is LISTEN to them, preferably through YOUR amp (headunit), playing YOUR choice of music, and if poss, in YOUR environment.

The last is hard for car speakers, but the first two certainly aren't

Alcazar
Old 28 September 2006, 10:38 AM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

wise words mate our jeep had infinity's in it but they sounded s*** when i put them in my astra (now alpine) and i'll be staying with alpine coz i know they sound great off a kenwood amp.

If it sounds right to you then the cahnces are it is
Old 28 September 2006, 01:04 PM
kitch
Scooby Regular

Just remember guys, when you fit the woofers into the door put a piece of electrical tape over the connecting stubs of the speaker (after speaker cable is connected).
This will stop the stubs touching the metal of the door and shorting out
Old 28 September 2006, 01:42 PM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

Kitch - cheers for another tip......

Alcazar - see your point, I've been in Audi's and BMW's before the Scoob, so Sounds have not been an issue, and so many people have fitted Infinity I should think they will be a huge improvement.....

Being 40 next month can speaker choice improve the 80's music I listen too...
Old 28 September 2006, 02:01 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Not saying Infinity aren't good, guys, but it never fails to amaze me how many people will buy speakers for their cars without hearing them first

How do you know you'll like them? Will they perform with YOUR headunit? Do they sound good on YOUR choice of music?

As one who has spent a lot of money and time, over the years, on good hifi, the best advice for speakers is LISTEN to them, preferably through YOUR amp (headunit), playing YOUR choice of music, and if poss, in YOUR environment.

The last is hard for car speakers, but the first two certainly aren't

Alcazar
Listening to speakers across a wall in halfwits with one of there headunits is not really going to tell you anything. all it is going to do is yep it sound good mounted next to each other on a wall mounted in a sealed box. speakers also need time to loosen up and bed in so the speakers in a new install will not sound there best until they have had some use.

The only advice i would suggest is make sure all the voice coils are of the same make and standard as this is what will change the sound drastically.

to be honest a £200 stereo for the car as long as you stick to main brands and recommendation you can not really go wrong.
Old 28 September 2006, 02:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SivMY05Sti
Kitch - cheers for another tip......

Alcazar - see your point, I've been in Audi's and BMW's before the Scoob, so Sounds have not been an issue, and so many people have fitted Infinity I should think they will be a huge improvement.....

Being 40 next month can speaker choice improve the 80's music I listen too...
Why not, it improves the stuff I listen to? And that ranges from Trance, to Dance through rock and back to the sixties, and even some fifties stuff.

In fact almost owt except classical, opera, and rap, none of which I understand

Oh and not Glam Rock either

Alcazar
Old 28 September 2006, 02:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebennett
Listening to speakers across a wall in halfwits with one of there headunits is not really going to tell you anything. all it is going to do is yep it sound good mounted next to each other on a wall mounted in a sealed box. speakers also need time to loosen up and bed in so the speakers in a new install will not sound there best until they have had some use.

The only advice i would suggest is make sure all the voice coils are of the same make and standard as this is what will change the sound drastically.

to be honest a £200 stereo for the car as long as you stick to main brands and recommendation you can not really go wrong.
Hmmmmmmm, I almost agree, BUT:

I've been shown some supposed top range hifi speakers before, costing well over £4k

I had them at home as a demo pair, and HATED them. They didn't suit my amp, nor my musical taste. And they were WELL run in.

Maybe listening across a space at HellFrauds won't do it entirely, but it WILL let you pick out any you defo don't like the sound of, before you spend your hard-earned. And the headunit DOES make a difference too.

Alcazar
Old 29 September 2006, 01:38 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have Rockfort Fosgate speakers in the rear shelf of my classic with a RF Punch 4004 amp, I wanted RF speakers for the front but at 600 euros a set for ones that fit due to the stupid size they need to be was out of the question so I settled for Infinity 6010CS which will be getting fitted this weekend. I have a Kenwood KVT827 head unit so a bit of mish mash but we will see what it all sounds like when set up properly by a local stereo installer. Oh and I have a Pioneer active sub so hopefully all will be ok.

Maybe at a later date I will fit a 2nd Punch 4004 amp instead of running the 4 speakers of one I will run 2 x 2 hopefully this will sound better. Not sure on sub though, I heard that classics dont respnd to well to subs and I want to keep my boot space and not clutter it up with a massive sub.

One other question is it really worth fitting a centre speaker in a car bearing in mind how close you will be to it, will it work ok or will it drown out the front door speakers when in a 5.1 role?

Cheers

Steve
Old 29 September 2006, 09:06 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
One other question is it really worth fitting a centre speaker in a car bearing in mind how close you will be to it, will it work ok or will it drown out the front door speakers when in a 5.1 role?
Yes it is worth it, a well-recorded 5.1 disc will sound far clearer with good seperation of the vocals and drums.

I used a DB meter to set the levels but the centre speaker is so small with a 20w amp that it was in no danger of drowning out the other speakers.

Buy the biggest you can fit.
Old 15 October 2006, 08:48 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Got my 6510's and fitted them. Love it.

But a friend today said I wired them up wrong ?

I have wired them as

Head unit > main speaker > crossover > tweater

He says

Head Unit > crossover > then from crossover to tweater and crossover to speaker.

?

WHo is right ?
Old 15 October 2006, 09:13 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Got my 6510's and fitted them. Love it.

But a friend today said I wired them up wrong ?

I have wired them as

Head unit > main speaker > crossover > tweater

He says

Head Unit > crossover > then from crossover to tweater and crossover to speaker.

?

WHo is right ?
Headunit > Crossover > Tweeter
Headunit > Crossover > Main Speaker

The cross over acts as a passive device to seperate the sound into 2 groups for the infinity (2 way x-over) High range (tweeterand)and the rest (main Speaker.

If you look at the x-over you will see that there is a 2 tweeter outputs one for +ve 0db and one for +ve -10db with the -ve terminal common to both.

Then there is the main speaker output. and lastly the speaker input from the headunit.

Steve

Last edited by stevebennett; 16 October 2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 16 October 2006, 12:40 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve

I'll be doing this on Wednesday