Sub Position in UK WRX

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2001, 10:53 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks,

Ive got a new UK WRX (no comments on it looks ****e ok!!) with the crap 2 DIN standard head unit.

Ive been in touch with a number of ICE places, they all recommend a new head unit/changer combo, new front speakers and a sub in the boot - all powered from a 4 way amp. They all say to forget the rear door speakers as they do liitle.

Having read all the bbs threads everyone seems to agree on this as a good start system.

My question is how has anyone fitted the sub in the boot of their car?

One guy says that they can create a purpose fit sub box that sits just behind the passanger seats - only taking up a small amount of boot space as it takes up the triangle created by the back seats being at an angle. He reckons that i'd need to keep the armrests down in back so the base has a way of entering the passenger compartment. He doesnt think i'll need rear shelf speakers. I then amp up the box and the front speakers.

Another guy says hes fitted a sub in the whole where the spare wheel fits - but im a bit bothered about having a speaker there as i load the boot with lots of gear so i may damage it.

I'm therefore thinking along the lines of the sub box behind the seats.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to the pros and cons of this idea? If you've done such an install where did you mount the Amp and changer.

Do you recommend i sound dampen the boot and front doors? If so does the boot lid need doing as well.

Any help would be appreciated
James

ICE Virgin :confused
Old 07 February 2001, 11:23 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Old 07 February 2001, 03:54 PM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate - the pics are excellent!

Your web sites great. You did that all by yourself?!?

Realistically, ive no experience of doing an instal - am i better off leaving it to the pros? But then i bet it sounds sooo much better when you've done it yourself!!!

Does your set-up include having to leave the ski-hatch open? I dont really want to have to do that. Also, i see you have rear - shelf speakers. One guy said to leave them as they dont add much to the sound in the driver seat. Any views??

Thanks a lot!!

James
James

Old 07 February 2001, 04:41 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Smile

James,

yep, all my own work .

Regarding the install, you may want to give it a go yourself, especially when you see the cost of labour. The hardest part is probably making the box, so you may want to get an adult to help you with this bit. I know that Tal, who occasionally wanders past, had a neat design that he took to homebase and asked to be cut from a sheet of wood, making it a bit easier.

Where in the country are you? If you're in Yorkshire, I'll lend a hand.

Ski-hatch: I don't have one, so it ain't open.

Rear speakers: don't bother, unless your passengers are picky. Mine are faded out so as to be non-existent.

Check the "DynaFAQ" on the site too: