RB5 '99 Model - Head unit removal

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 10:23 PM
Dave_RB5 #92
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy RB5 '99 Model - Head unit removal

Hi crew,

I'm total new to this site after selling my GSXR 1000 k2 and purchasing a RB5 #92. Anyways, I bought a Kenwood head unit today and i've tried removing the stock head unit with the '2 prong lever things' in both sides and the unit will not release. The Halfords fitter also tried with his tools and then came to the conclusion that the whole facier needs removing to get the head unit out . How does the facier unclip??? or do I not need to do this???

I thought i was going to be a two minute job but like the tracker and insurance it's a pain in the ***!

Any suggestions plz....

Cheers, Dave.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:45 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

Cool

I changed my unit for an Alpine (some time ago) and used the small holes you mentioned although I think I had to make up the prong tool. The unit will slide out of the fascia when done properly. I will try & find my old unit to see which way to remove it.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:52 PM
SAB
Scooby Regular

Cool

Looking at the old unit it seems that when the prongs are pushed into all 4 holes at the same time. it pushes the holding teeth in towards the centre of the unit just enough to allow the unit to pull out. So you have to pull the unit at the same time as pushing prongs into all 4 holes. Be careful!
Old 19 May 2005, 08:11 AM
Dave_RB5 #92
Scooby Regular

yeah thats what i'm trying. do you think it will be bolted in?

Originally Posted by SAB
Looking at the old unit it seems that when the prongs are pushed into all 4 holes at the same time. it pushes the holding teeth in towards the centre of the unit just enough to allow the unit to pull out. So you have to pull the unit at the same time as pushing prongs into all 4 holes. Be careful!
Old 19 May 2005, 08:49 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Dave, it's normally only held in with those clips. Worst comes to the worst you can remove the fascia trim which goes around the stereo, heater controls etc... To do that, lift the bit of the gear lever trim up between the gear lever and handbrake trim, then remove the gearlever trim or just move it out the way - caution, it can scratch the other bits of trim, so put some cloth down!

The fascia should now just unclip. There's two clips at the top which are sods as they have a tendency for the metal clip bit to fall into the guts of the dash, so take care. There's also two clips lower down on the side.

Your stereo could conceivably be attached at the back for security, but if it's the OEM one I doubt it will have been. You could take the glovebox out to have a look, which is a surprisingly easy operation.
Old 19 May 2005, 09:12 AM
Dave_RB5 #92
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate but i've decieded to book it in at a car audio shop near me. Only £25 so not big money really.

Cheers anyway

Originally Posted by chiark
Dave, it's normally only held in with those clips. Worst comes to the worst you can remove the fascia trim which goes around the stereo, heater controls etc... To do that, lift the bit of the gear lever trim up between the gear lever and handbrake trim, then remove the gearlever trim or just move it out the way - caution, it can scratch the other bits of trim, so put some cloth down!

The fascia should now just unclip. There's two clips at the top which are sods as they have a tendency for the metal clip bit to fall into the guts of the dash, so take care. There's also two clips lower down on the side.

Your stereo could conceivably be attached at the back for security, but if it's the OEM one I doubt it will have been. You could take the glovebox out to have a look, which is a surprisingly easy operation.
Old 19 May 2005, 05:43 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

No worries. If you do fancy giving it a go, PM me your mobile number and I'll see if I can help.