ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

speaker cable and dynomat

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2005, 10:52 PM
Madharry8
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile speaker cable and dynomat

today i put in the cabling for my system. ran flat 3 speaker cable down either side of the car from the boot (where the amps will sit) to front of doors. everything going cockahoop until i got to the the gromits for the door cable.....how the hell am i suppossed to get the cable thru there????!!!!!!!. tighter than a gnats chuff is something of an understatement. please somebody tell me! even with the aid of a bottle of johnsons finest dont reckon i cud get the blighters thru. also when applying dynomat to the doors wats the method used? heat guns seem to be talked about alot? hoping to get the job done tomorrow so wud really appreciate some advice.........cheers to those who can be bothered to reply.
Old 08 May 2005, 10:56 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

Hi MadHarry don't know about grommits but I've just been putting some dynomat in my car and yes it's best to use a heat gun, not too hot tho and a mini roller if you can get hold of one just to press all air bubbles out, hope this helps?

chris
Old 09 May 2005, 07:16 AM
Madharry8
Scooby Newbie

well spent all last night pondering this problem then had a blinding flash of inspiration this morning. 1.wire speakers up direct missing out conduit. 2. remove front windows. 3. paint car orange. 4.change name by deed poll to bo (or maybe luke, havent decided which suits best yet). 5.find a mechanic called cooter. bingo, problem solved. now all i need is a bird with big **** called daisy......and a big hungry f**k off dog for security. naturally i would still be open to less drastic solutions if anybody has them. never did fancy an orange scoob.
Old 09 May 2005, 09:23 AM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Madharry8
well spent all last night pondering this problem then had a blinding flash of inspiration this morning. 1.wire speakers up direct missing out conduit. 2. remove front windows. 3. paint car orange. 4.change name by deed poll to bo (or maybe luke, havent decided which suits best yet). 5.find a mechanic called cooter. bingo, problem solved. now all i need is a bird with big **** called daisy......and a big hungry f**k off dog for security. naturally i would still be open to less drastic solutions if anybody has them. never did fancy an orange scoob.
the only bit that sounds good in all that is Daisy !! LOL.

I just spent hours faffing around - then, and only when all my hands and arms were all carved up - did I finally win... possibly you may want to try and slice the grommet, and then wrap it round the new bundle of cable - thing is - you'd need to glue it all up again, could get messy....

It's a tough one, but generally - loads of patience and a high pain tolerence will suffice.

good luck

Mikey
Old 09 May 2005, 12:30 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

option 4 would mean that Daisy Duke is your sister...

I went for option 1. There's a grommet further down the door under the hinge bit on the car (rather than on the door). Come out of there with the cable, then go into the original grommet at the top.

Seal with sealant.

Job done.
Old 09 May 2005, 03:54 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

One person got around the problem by unbolting the doors so he could straighten out the sleeving between the grommets... A bit on the drastic side though at least you'd have loads of room to work in.

J.
Old 09 May 2005, 07:22 PM
Madharry8
Scooby Newbie

well...door off it was. no problems but they are bloody heavy when doing it on your tod. made a jig out of scraps of wood to hold it in place whilst un bolting and bolting back on. took chiarks advice and removed the gromit...worked a treat, cheers mate. now all i need to do is dynomite the f**ker and we'll be as right as rain. if anybody is interested i ran the power cables down one side of the centre channel and the rca's down the other side. taking the trim and seats out etc isn't rocket science...i had no idea before i started rippin bits off. nice neat job it is too
Old 13 May 2005, 04:25 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Madharry8
well...door off it was. no problems but they are bloody heavy when doing it on your tod. made a jig out of scraps of wood to hold it in place whilst un bolting and bolting back on. took chiarks advice and removed the gromit...worked a treat, cheers mate. now all i need to do is dynomite the f**ker and we'll be as right as rain. if anybody is interested i ran the power cables down one side of the centre channel and the rca's down the other side. taking the trim and seats out etc isn't rocket science...i had no idea before i started rippin bits off. nice neat job it is too
<BITE>

Have you still got the 'jigs' or any piccies of how you did it.

<Repeat to yourself. I will not take the doors off the P1 100x>

J.